If you can remember watching a black and white television

One of my favorite shows, ever!

iu
The major problem with Westerns like this is 30 mins less 8 mins for commercials is not long enough to produce and effective western drama. After Gunsmoke changed to a 1 hr format in season 7, the quality of the stories, the acting, and their ratings improved.
Rifleman was good
He could kill a lot of bad guys in 22 min
Yeah it was pretty good. I preferred "Have Gun Will Travel" and of course good old Marshall Dillon, who killed 303 people in his 20 years as a lawman, more than all the city marshals who wore a badge.

I think Lucas McCain killed like 113 in his five years

The Casualty List for The Rifleman
I read a history of western lawmen and outlaws and I remember a couple of interest facts that kind of destroys our image of these brave lawmen.
There is no record of two gunmen ever facing off in the street in a fast draw duel.

Gunfights were rare. There have been far more gunfights on TV and movies than there were in the Old West.

In an interview with Wyatt Earp,
A reporter ask Earp, "What is best method to catch a killer?".
Earp replied, "You sneak up behind him and club in the head or shoot him."
The reporters ask Earp, "You mean you wouldn't get him a fair chance."
Earp replied, "Fair chance? Hell, I might get shot".
Later in the interview Earp was asked about having a fast draw. He said, he practically never had to a draw pistol in a fight because any time he suspected trouble he had his gun in his hand. Drawing a gun in a fight is a good way to get shot.
Same goes with the Stetson Cowboy Hat

The major problem with Westerns like this is 30 mins less 8 mins for commercials is not long enough to produce and effective western drama. After Gunsmoke changed to a 1 hr format in season 7, the quality of the stories, the acting, and their ratings improved.
Rifleman was good
Yeah it was pretty good. I preferred "Have Gun Will Travel" and of course good old Marshall Dillon, who killed 303 people in his 20 years as a lawman, more than all the city marshals who wore a badge.

Not that good as a First baseman with the 51' Cubs though.

Also the first NBA player to shatter a backboard

I didn't know he played in the NBA, learn something new every day.

On The Rifleman (1958), his character had used a lot of rifles, in real-life, he owned rifles. He was most widely known to be a social butterfly. Playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946, Chuck Connorswas the first NBA player to shatter a backboard, doing so during a pre-game warm-up in the Boston Garden.
Birth Name: Kevin Joseph Aloysius Connors
Born: April 10, 1921 in Brooklyn, New York, USA
Died: November 10, 1992 in Los Angeles, Cali...
Chuck Connors - Biography - IMDb

Rifleman was good

Not that good as a First baseman with the 51' Cubs though.

Also the first NBA player to shatter a backboard

I didn't know he played in the NBA, learn something new every day.

On The Rifleman (1958), his character had used a lot of rifles, in real-life, he owned rifles. He was most widely known to be a social butterfly. Playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946, Chuck Connorswas the first NBA player to shatter a backboard, doing so during a pre-game warm-up in the Boston Garden.
Birth Name: Kevin Joseph Aloysius Connors
Born: April 10, 1921 in Brooklyn, New York, USA
Died: November 10, 1992 in Los Angeles, Cali...
Chuck Connors - Biography - IMDb

I had forgotten that but at one time I knew it!

Thanks for reposting it!

How about Andy Griffith? The best show to ever hit the airways.

But damn....that show got unwatchable

Howard Sprague?

835f229c0f82a8e4417a48259f65803f.jpg

I guess I agree. After Andy and Don were gone it became a little sappy and soppy....

The Andy Griffith, Don Knotts pairing was one of the best in TV history.

Once Don Knotts left to make movies the show was unwatchable
Andy and Barney was gone and Andy and Opie got lame once Opie neared his teens. Hated Helen Trump

His best performance was not playing Sheriff Andy Taylor but Lonesome Roads in the Elia Kazan movie, "A Face in Crowd". It was his first and best movie about a drifter who is discovered by the producer of a small-market radio program in rural northeast Arkansas. Rhodes ultimately rises to great fame and influence on national television. Probably not for the Mayberry crowd but a fine movie. I think his best comedy was "No Time for Sergeants", definitely recommended for the Mayberry crowd.

But damn....that show got unwatchable

Howard Sprague?

835f229c0f82a8e4417a48259f65803f.jpg

I guess I agree. After Andy and Don were gone it became a little sappy and soppy....

The Andy Griffith, Don Knotts pairing was one of the best in TV history.

Once Don Knotts left to make movies the show was unwatchable
Andy and Barney was gone and Andy and Opie got lame once Opie neared his teens. Hated Helen Trump
I agree Don Knotts was perfect. He made the show. IMHO, Andy Griffith's talents as a serious actor, stand-up comedian, and musician eclipsed all his many performances in TV series. He could have done so much more.

I remember getting up early on Saturday mornings to watch THE TEST PATTERNS, followed by "Sermonette," followed by a variety of kid shows, including, Captain Midnight, Ramar of the Jungle, the Andy Devine show, and others. Later on Saturday, we'd watch Sky King, Fury, Lassie, and the Lone Ranger.

Saturday afternoons in Winter we would watch ABC's Wide World of Sports, featuring bizarre sports from around the world (e.g., Elephant polo, camel races).

Oddly, a state-of-the-art television remained around $500 from the early 50's (when it was a hell of a lot of money) until the late 60's. My family got our first television in '55 or so when a neighbor was throwing it out to get a newer, more modern one.

Color TV? What's that?

I remember getting up early on Saturday mornings to watch THE TEST PATTERNS, followed by "Sermonette," followed by a variety of kid shows, including, Captain Midnight, Ramar of the Jungle, the Andy Devine show, and others. Later on Saturday, we'd watch Sky King, Fury, Lassie, and the Lone Ranger.

Saturday afternoons in Winter we would watch ABC's Wide World of Sports, featuring bizarre sports from around the world (e.g., Elephant polo, camel races).

Oddly, a state-of-the-art television remained around $500 from the early 50's (when it was a hell of a lot of money) until the late 60's. My family got our first television in '55 or so when a neighbor was throwing it out to get a newer, more modern one.

Color TV? What's that?

I remember that test pattern!

then the star spangled banner (or something?)

then the Farm Report!

As a kid I watched Capt. Kangaroo on our black& white TV on saturday mornings.

My dad finally bought a color TV when I was around 10 years old.

That's when I discovered out why they called his friend on the show Mr Green Jeans. .. :lol: :lol:

images

Last edited:
You got it. Used to stand up for the "Jose can you see?"

awww......memories....

At the same time (since TV went off the air at 1 am) on saturday nights I use to lie in bed late at night and listen to 2 radio stations; WBZ with dick summer(from Boston Mass) who told interesting stories and played interesting music, and WKBW from Buffalo NY. Another interesting station. It was a weird sensation, lying there in bed, 2 am, a 12 year old kid in 1962, knowing that outside my home everything was shut down and most everyone was sleeping. Meanwhile I would be listening to Dick Summer narate "a christmas carol" or "sleepy hollow".

His best performance was not playing Sheriff Andy Taylor but Lonesome Roads in the Elia Kazan movie, "A Face in Crowd". It was his first and best movie about a drifter who is discovered by the producer of a small-market radio program in rural northeast Arkansas. Rhodes ultimately rises to great fame and influence on national television. Probably not for the Mayberry crowd but a fine movie. I think his best comedy was "No Time for Sergeants", definitely recommended for the Mayberry crowd.

Great movie

Reminds me of our political system today

Great movie

Reminds me of our political system today

https://film.avclub.com/not-even-a-movie-as-cynical-as-a-face-in-the-crowd-coul-1798254296

Then you're getting old like me.
Did you ever wonder why nobody ever said "white and black" ?
Feel free to share any favorite white and black shows, films, commercials or images from the pre-color days.

I remember going down to the local drug store with my dad to check our tv tubes for ones that burnt out.

Color TV? What's that?

you old

Forum List

Back