If You Can Help

This site explains how go fund me works.
How does GoFundMe actually work?

When it comes to personal campaigns, GoFundMe has the lowest fees in the industry. The platform doesn’t take anything from individual campaigns, instead charging a 2.9 percent payment processing fee and $0.30 per donation. Charitable campaigns are a different matter. Registered non-profits that use the GoFundMe platform are charged 7.9 percent plus $0.30 fee for each donation. The tradeoff is donors get a receipt that makes their contribution tax deductible.

I never knew there were other funding sites. :dunno:

Thing is, them taking that 2.9% + .30 per donation fee can add up. True that any funds raised are much appreciated and the fees charged may not seem like much...… but those that are in desperate situations need every penny donated, so it does seem a bit deceptive, just because the donors aren't made aware that the recipient won't receive 100% of their donation.

They are not taking from the funds.
The donors pay that extra in order to maintain the site.

no they don't...…….I only paid an optional tip with Gracie's fund. Did you pay more?

As I'd stated previously on another campaign from a few years ago......they deducted those fees from the recipients end at the point of withdraw, not added to the donors end. IOW, the campaign raised X amount of dollars, but the recipient only received and could withdraw X amount minus the fee amounts.

With Gracie's campaign, there was the option to pay a tip that you can choose what amount, if any of the tip...…..I'd not seen that before. :dunno:

When it comes to personal campaigns, GoFundMe has the lowest fees in the industry. The platform doesn’t take anything from individual campaigns, instead charging a 2.9 percent payment processing fee and $0.30 per donation. Charitable campaigns are a different matter. Registered non-profits that use the GoFundMe platform are charged 7.9 percent plus $0.30 fee for each donation. The tradeoff is donors get a receipt that makes their contribution tax deductible.

Thing is, them taking that 2.9% + .30 per donation fee can add up. True that any funds raised are much appreciated and the fees charged may not seem like much...… but those that are in desperate situations need every penny donated, so it does seem a bit deceptive, just because the donors aren't made aware that the recipient won't receive 100% of their donation.

no they don't...…….I only paid an optional tip with Gracie's fund. Did you pay more?

As I'd stated previously on another campaign from a few years ago......they deducted those fees from the recipients end at the point of withdraw, not added to the donors end. IOW, the campaign raised X amount of dollars, but the recipient only received and could withdraw X amount minus the fee amounts.

With Gracie's campaign, there was the option to pay a tip that you can choose what amount, if any of the tip...…..I'd not seen that before. :dunno:

We can't expect any organization to operate solely out of the goodness of their heart and not be compensated for at least some of their expense. From what I have read, GoFundMe is probably the best group offering this kind of service and operates with the least overhead. Just like Paypal offers a wonderful service but they can't do it for absolutely free either.

We can't expect any organization to operate solely out of the goodness of their heart and not be compensated for at least some of their expense. From what I have read, GoFundMe is probably the best group offering this kind of service and operates with the least overhead. Just like Paypal offers a wonderful service but they can't do it for absolutely free either.

As I'm reading it, GFM invites a voluntary "tip" to defray its costs just as this site invites donations for the same thing. In either case a sliding scale where the donator decides the value, if any.

It was just the word "tip" that threw me off.

As I'm reading it, GFM invites a voluntary "tip" to defray its costs just as this site invites donations for the same thing. In either case a sliding scale where the donator decides the value, if any.

PayPal gets a % as well. I think there used to be a way to choose your donation to prevent that, or used to be. Not so sure you can anymore though.

PayPal gets a % as well. I think there used to be a way to choose your donation to prevent that, or used to be. Not so sure you can anymore though.

You can set up donations on PayPal?

I think years 'n' years ago PP used to charge to send money but not to receive it. That's no longer the case, now they don't charge for either end. They do charge for commercial purchases, and they just upped their fee (from 25c to a percentage) to transfer money from PP directly to your bank card, if you want it "now". If you can wait a day that's still free.

I think years 'n' years ago PP used to charge to send money but not to receive it. That's no longer the case, now they don't charge for either end. They do charge for commercial purchases, and they just upped their fee (from 25c to a percentage) to transfer money from PP directly to your bank card, if you want it "now". If you can wait a day that's still free.

You can make a donation to others via PP.

Oh yeah I've definitely done that.

When I first went into GFM (this week, for this) I was looking for that option, to send money out of PP. Apparently it's possible but the organizer would have to set it up or sump'm. So I did a bank transfer first.

I like PayPal. Makes transacting SO easy.

Oh yeah I've definitely done that.

When I first went into GFM (this week, for this) I was looking for that option, to send money out of PP. Apparently it's possible but the organizer would have to set it up or sump'm. So I did a bank transfer first.

I like PayPal. Makes transacting SO easy.

I was looking for the same option, and was disappointed. But, this seems to be working well too.

Yes I do agree they need to cover their expenses as well.

All in all it doesn't really matter. What's important is to help a friend in need.

FINALLY got back online. Its been dead all damn day! Don't know how long I will last, though. It dropped me right in the middle of giving FEMA MrGs soc sec number. Finally, I got back with them and they got all the info they need and will be in touch.

I still have not read all the thread or to hit THANKS button either but I will once we get to Marysville. We will be in Yuba City on the 27th and in a motel there until the 3rd. The apartment will be ready by the 1st but the landlady wants to replace the flooring cuz the previous tenent had a buttload of cats and it stinks in there she said. So...ok. We will stay in the motel until the 3rd if funds permit it after fixing the car, etc. Its supposed to rain this wednesday which would help clear the air I hope. Its bad even here in Redding but worse further south. Downright hazardous, it is. Here, its labeled "unhealthy".

Anyway, we are alone now here. Anne left with her sister this afternoon. It feels weird not having her nearby or Casey the Dog. We were alone once before when we first became homeless, but then we lived with RJ for over a year and half, then in with Anne after her hubby died. First time in almost two years we are completely alone again. Not sure I like it, either. :(

Have been hearing stories from folks from Paradise, who are mostly now in this motel. One lady survived by sitting in her neighbors pond when she could not get out of the neighborhood. She said she sat in it....dunked down to keep her head wet, and just stayed there until someone found her. Can you imagine??? And another lady said she was just down the road from us and waited a few hours to leave after we all did and wound up surrounded by fire but survived even though her tires melted and she had to run from her car and leave it behind. Its just a horrible horrible mess and so many are still in a zombie like state just as Drifter said. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, thats for sure.

Meanwhile, I know some folks are hesitant on Gofundme..but my sister in law sent me 50 bucks via Walmart To Walmart, which I never heard of before. Very easy to use. Go to the local walmart, pay a buck to send 50 bucks, 3 bucks to send over 100 I think, etc...and the person on the other end receiving it just goes to the local walmart and picks it up. You can google it to see how it works. I have a friend in Wyoming that is going to do that for us cuz she, too, refuses to do gofundme. But, GFM has been very helpful to me and Drifter started it all up before I even knew about it for which I am extremely thankful for her doing that. It never really crossed my mind to do such a thing and doubt if I would have even if I did think about it. It just goes against my grain to accept help in any form but this time? This time...I had to. Its not just for me this time. MrG has health issues worse than mine and needs the help. We are forever grateful too. If I ever win the lottery (like, wishful thinking), I swear I will pay everyone back, and more!

Meanwhile, I know some folks are hesitant on Gofundme..but my sister in law sent me 50 bucks via Walmart To Walmart, which I never heard of before. Very easy to use. Go to the local walmart, pay a buck to send 50 bucks, 3 bucks to send over 100 I think, etc...and the person on the other end receiving it just goes to the local walmart and picks it up. You can google it to see how it works. I have a friend in Wyoming that is going to do that for us cuz she, too, refuses to do gofundme. But, GFM has been very helpful to me and Drifter started it all up before I even knew about it for which I am extremely thankful for her doing that. It never really crossed my mind to do such a thing and doubt if I would have even if I did think about it. It just goes against my grain to accept help in any form but this time? This time...I had to. Its not just for me this time. MrG has health issues worse than mine and needs the help. We are forever grateful too. If I ever win the lottery (like, wishful thinking), I swear I will pay everyone back, and more!

Gracie.....I don't think any one of us that have donated expect or even want you to pay it back. It would be near impossible to do anyway. Just when you are settled and able....pay it forward. :thup:

Just because I don't agree with how GFM works.....it didn't stop me or anyone else from donating anyway. As I said, what matters is getting you the help you need, when you need it. :smiliehug:

Here are some cars that didn't get out, Gracie's van got burned a bit but at least it got her to safety.

45878527_2448888865151931_51912337698848768_n.jpg

animals affected by the fire

45876401_2448887745152043_7808650074870775808_n.jpg

Forum List

Back