If We Release a Small Fraction of Arctic Carbon, 'We're Fucked': Climatologist

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

If We Release a Small Fraction of Arctic Carbon, 'We're Fucked': Climatologist

If We Release a Small Fraction of Arctic Carbon, 'We're Fucked': Climatologist | Motherboard
This week, scientists made a disturbing discovery in the Arctic Ocean: They saw "vast methane plumes escaping from the seafloor," as the Stockholm University put it in a release disclosing the observations. The plume of methane—a potent greenhouse gas that traps heat more powerfully than carbon dioxide, the chief driver of climate change—was unsettling to the scientists.

But it was even more unnerving to Dr. Jason Box, a widely published climatologist who had been following the expedition. As I was digging into the new development, I stumbled upon his tweet, which, coming from a scientist, was downright chilling:

If even a small fraction of Arctic sea floor carbon is released to the atmosphere, we're f'd.

Box, who is currently a professor of glaciology at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland, has been studying the Arctic for decades. His accolade-packed Wikipedia page notes that he's made some 20 expeditions to the Arctic since 1994, and served as the lead author on the Greenland section of NOAA's State of the Climate report from 2008-2012. He also runs the Dark Snow project and writes about the latest findings in the field at his blog, Meltfactor.

In other words, Box knows the Arctic, and he knows climate change—and the methane plumes had him blitzed enough to bring out the F bombs.

Now, the scientists in the Arctic didn't fully understand why the plumes were occurring. But they speculated that a warmer "tongue" of ocean current was destabilizing methane hydrates on the Arctic slope.

Another AGW cult thread fail!

6-TempPrecedesCO2_lg.jpg

Rather than changes in earth's CO2 causing temperature to change, scientists have actually found that changes in earth's temperatures always precedes changes in CO2 by 400 to a 1000 years -- just the opposite of what global warming proponents would have us believe.

10TempPast11000Yrs_lg.jpg

It is often reported that the temperature of the earth is higher the past 20 years than it has ever been in history. This is simply not true, nor has it ever been. Hundreds of research studies using ice cores, pollen sedimentation, tree rings, etc. have shown that there were dozens of periods in the past 11,000 years (the Holocene period) that earth's temperature was warmer than it is today. Earth's temperature was very much warmer at least four times during the current interglacial period.

Several times in geological history, methane has been implicated in extinction events. Definately in the end Permian extinctions;

Permian: The Permian Period: 3 -- Extinction Events

Negative carbon isotope anomalies, indicating extreme Greenhouse conditions resulting in a series of mass extinctions during the Permian. from Retallack et al 2006 p.1400 (note, the Tapinocephalus zone here is incorrectly shown extending down into the Cisuralian (see left-most graph), obviously the graphs do not take into account differing sedimentation rates, but this does not effect the overall argument)

...and greenhouse gases always lag temperature increases and decreases....

How are "We" going to release Arctic carbon, will the "warming" in the Deep Pacific Ocean crawl up on land?

Oh Gawd.....not this shit again??:2up:

Where do people get this obsession with the bomb throwing? I think some just tend to the hysterical.......like certain cultures that you go to the wake of a deceased person and these people are wailing like they've been shot......throwing themselves on the casket!! Ive been to a couple in Brooklyn. Some people go through life and just cant deal......I find it fascinating and pathetic at the same time.

Too......a lot of these people who obsess on this stuff ( and any other fringe cause for that matter ) do indeed have one thing in common: not much of anything meaningful in their lives, thus, they desperately cling to "causes".

Last edited:

Where do people get this obsession with the bomb throwing? I think some just tend to the hysterical.......like certain cultures that you go to the wake of a deceased person and these people are wailing like they've been shot......throwing themselves on the casket!! Ive been to a couple in Brooklyn. Some people go through life and just cant deal......I find it fascinating and pathetic at the same time.

Too......a lot of these people who obsess on this stuff ( and any other fringe cause for that matter ) do indeed have one thing in common: not much of anything meaningful in their lives, thus, they desperately cling to "causes".

Re: Skookerasbil: I've met a lot of assholes before, just none quite so stupid.

Re: Skookerasbil: I've met a lot of assholes before, just none quite so stupid.

Yeah maybe.....but s0n, Im not immersed in the matrix......I'll take the tradeoff.

:D:DFoundation of Mass Mind Control « Jon Rappoport's Blog:D:D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back