If the ACA is going to fail so badly...?

@ Trajan

BlueCross/BlueShield, and the rest of the insurance companies, accepted a not-for-profit system with ACA. They are capped at a 15% of revenue for running things model. If you have AAA, you get a check at the end of the year. Any extra revenue, from premiums, that exceeds expenses is returned to the customer. Same now with the medical insurance companies. BlueCross/BlueShield had it in their advertisements this last year, that they were sending back checks to customers. These guys know what they are doing in terms of estimating costs and variability. The premiums are a bit higher then they expect, $50, and they send back $5.

Honestly, the last thing I expect is for the medical markets to be saying, "Oh damn, we didn't charge enough." And, with the insurance companies being the channel for the funds, they are the major market force for pricing. It's always a negotiation, of course. But if the insurance companies are incentivized to keep costs down (which they naturally are), and are free from the profit motive, (they still get paid well), that has to go along ways to getting the market to be efficient as it should be.

Frankly, the biggest problem is that the demand for services is so more like infinite than any other market. We need only so much fuel. We eat only so much. Housing is in a bit of a glut (incl rentals). But there is not shortage of demand for medical. Eventually, we are all looking for whatever it takes to get another year out of it. That is what I see as being the thing, people whining because they want more service and can't get it. The $ will adjust. It is almost magical how the money supply adjusts (until the banks stop lending and the whole thing tanks, but that is another problem).

The problem is that we don't have a measure of "utility" and $ really is not a fixed thing. The $1 doesn't have a fixed underlying value, then the price can change to. It really annoys me.

What are we saying, that the insurance company will contract for $40 in premiums and have $45 in salaries to pay? Nah..... They will contract for $50 in premiums and end up with $40 in salaries, then give back $5. That is how it is structured.

Don't get me wrong, I was annoyed last night by the inability to match labor hours of medical to labor hours of the rest of the system. But we really don't have to. We cannot purchase what has not been produced. It is a huge economy, with 140 million some odd people working. Things adjust. At a macro level, it isn't constrained like it is with our checkbook. I don't know if you know what I mean by "four equations with six unknowns", or "degrees of freedom"? The economy has wiggle room, actually that is the problem with it, to much wiggle room. It is actually under constrained which is why we can have excessive inflation and deflation.

Why doesn't the GOP allow it to fail and reap the rewards from the failure? :doubt:

OH! So the GOP is afraid it won't fail and then they will look like fools. I hate to break it to them but.....:lol:

So the GOP is trying to prevent innocent people from being hurt be a terrible law instead of doing the politically advantageous thing...and you criticize them for it.

Good to know.

Why doesn't the GOP allow it to fail and reap the rewards from the failure? :doubt:

OH! So the GOP is afraid it won't fail and then they will look like fools. I hate to break it to them but.....:lol:

So the GOP is trying to prevent innocent people from being hurt be a terrible law instead of doing the politically advantageous thing...and you criticize them for it.

Good to know.

And yet, insurance companies, like Anthem and Blue Cross/Blue Shield are capped at 80% costs so they have, in fact, sent rebate checks to customers.

What is so terrible about that?

-----

"In summer 2013, some members will get a notice from us about a rebate. Some will get a rebate, others will not. We want to provide you with information that will help you understand why you may or may not get a rebate. First and foremost, this isn’t the kind of rebate you get at a supermarket or discount store. It’s a result of the medical loss ratio (MLR), which is part of the Affordable Care Act"

Rebates and Medical Loss Ratio

Good to know.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf

Here is the ACA.

So where is the failing part?

You should like this

PART II—RURAL PROTECTIONS

And this section is very significant. If you understand supply and demand on markets, it should be obvious why it is there.

TITLE V—HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE

Last edited:
Healthcare costs are actually leveling off.

From 2001 to 2011, healthcare insurance premiums tripled.

They went up at least 10% every year.

Over the last two years however, the increases are 4%.

So healthcare costs are actually leveling off. We're seeing it at the state level as well with all of the states that began the healthcare exchanges early.

At this point though, premiums could actually start going down and Republicans would still find a way to make it seem like Obama is fucking them.

Healthcare costs are actually leveling off.

From 2001 to 2011, healthcare insurance premiums tripled.

They went up at least 10% every year.

Over the last two years however, the increases are 4%.

So healthcare costs are actually leveling off. We're seeing it at the state level as well with all of the states that began the healthcare exchanges early.

At this point though, premiums could actually start going down and Republicans would still find a way to make it seem like Obama is fucking them.

It's not just premiums. Total health care spending growth has shrunk to the lowest levels on record, health care price inflation is at a 50-year low (costs actually fell this summer for the first time in 40 years), and per beneficiary Medicare cost growth last year was basically zero. This is what a bending cost curve looks like.

Forum List

Back