Two Patriot Missile Systems Destroyed...

It’s so strange that the Patriot can only work with stationary ground based radar

The RADAR is mobile, but it must be emplaced in a location in order to operate.

That is how almost all air defense RADAR operates. Very few are actually "mobile" so can be fired on the move. The vast majority of systems like that like the AVENGER do not use RADAR at all, but acquire their targets optically, and are guided by IR.

UPDATE: 18th March Ukrainian drone development and production group Dronarnia have posted a video of their own version, a small FPV quadcopter controlled via a fiber-optic link. Current range is one kilometer, but this is likely to be extended.

And those are tiny observation drones. Nothing that is of any use offensively.

Millions more of American taxpayer dollars just went up in smoke. Two Patriots destroyed by hypersonic missiles. What's the running tally on how much money our government has wasted over there now..?

Shocker
Everyone who says Russia and Chinese hypersonics are no threat to anything American are friggin delusional

Everyone who says Russia and Chinese hypersonics are no threat to anything American are friggin delusional

In what way are they a threat? They are simply another missile, and operate no different than any other ballistic missile other than they are launched from aircraft. There is absolutely nothing special about them being "hypersonic". Pretty much ballistic missile other than the shortest range ones are hypersonic. And intercepting them is rather simple because their trajectory is very easy to predict.

And the US has been intercepting hypersonic ballistic missiles for over 3 decades now.

81117171-26a6-45c8-8aaa-3dca330d0f85_text.gif

OK, I am going to go over just some of the most obvious technical problems with this idea.

First of all, drones are slow and tend to have a low power to weight ratio. That means that they do not have enough excess power to haul around things like cables (unless they were designed to actually lay cable). And most fiber optic cables weigh in at around 15 pounds per 100 meters. So it should be obvious how quickly a hell of a lot of weight is going to add up there.

Second, those are normally fairly low speed objects, only moving at about the speed of a man walking. Now add in the drag involved with all that extra mass, and those things will be lucky if they can crawl.

OK, now a really big one, wind. Anybody that has ever flown a kite can tell you that the wind is going to play havoc with this. It not only moves the kite, it even moves the string as well (not to mention gravity). Soon you are having to put on it motors many times larger than needed, just to haul around that length of strong that is trying to move it in another direction due to wind resistance.

Oh, I'm not done yet.

Oh, we do use "wire guided" ordinance, we have for decades. Most notably missiles and torpedoes. However, those are also very fast, the entire flight of a missile takes place in a few seconds. And can only be operated where the person firing them has a clear unobstructed line of sight to the target. Which is why the newer generation of such weapons have done away with the wires and uses other means to track the target (which is why the DRAGON was replaced with the JAVELIN). The other is torpedoes, but those do not need the wire. The subs can "cut" the wires, and the torpedo will go into autonomous mode. But that torpedo is still traveling many times faster than a typical observation drone.

And now for the elephant in the room, how in the hell are they going to keep it from getting entangled on obstacles? That is a huge problem, and I can't think of a single way to avoid that happening very quickly.
A Cruise Missile is a Drone ( Not Slow)

Then tell me, what is the real difference?

Of course, once again you are talking about a tiny short range observation drone, and not a combat drone. The two are not even close.
Cruise missiles can go as far as 3000km as far as I know ( but an Expert could chime in and I would not be surprised if specific variants could double that distance ) and a cruise Missile is as fast as a Fighter jet .

I think it was rather clear. Name anything other than a short range air defense system that can operate their RADAR on the move.

Even highly mobile systems like the SA-22 GREYHOUND/Pantsir can not operate their RADAR on the move. They have to stop then deploy their RADAR and launchers before they can fire.

SO as I said, you seem to be pointing a finger because a Medium range system can not fire and move. Name any medium range air defense system that can do that. Or even a short range one really, as even those typically need 10 minutes or so to go from roadmarch configuration to fire configuration.

Cruise missiles can go as far as 3000km as far as I know ( but an Expert could chime in and I would not be surprised if specific variants could double that distance ) and a cruise Missile is as fast as a Fighter jet .

Yes, and? So can many of the US combat drones like the Avenger and Global Hawk. And the US has operated drones in the past that operated at up to MACH 6. So I still have absolutely no idea what you are even trying to say. But what you are trying to jump into was the claim that there are fiber optic drones, and the other trying to imply they were combat drones. They were not, that is a drone about the size of a loaf of bread, with a range of 1km for observation use only. It is absolutely nothing like a combat drone.

Yes, and? So can many of the US combat drones like the Avenger and Global Hawk. And the US has operated drones in the past that operated at up to MACH 6. So I still have absolutely no idea what you are even trying to say. But what you are trying to jump into was the claim that there are fiber optic drones, and the other trying to imply they were combat drones. They were not, that is a drone about the size of a loaf of bread, with a range of 1km for observation use only. It is absolutely nothing like a combat drone.
Mach 6 ???? ( Faster than Maverick in the Secret Prototype Space Plane In the lastest Top Gun Movie ?)

Then tell me, what is the real difference?

Of course, once again you are talking about a tiny short range observation drone, and not a combat drone. The two are not even close.
Apparently not per the evidence scavenger from the battlefield... Your insistence that the fiber optic controlled drones are recon only is your creation.

Forum List

Back