If Israel declares war....

Have we obligated ourselves to join them? Do you think we should stand with Israel no matter what or leave them to fight their own battle?

Obama and on this I agree, will stay out of it.
The Israelis have already told the US in an diplomatic tone, "we do not need or want your help"...
If you remember, the US begged cajoled and practically paid Israel to stay out of the Gulf War.
The reasons were twofold. One was Bush 41 had already formed a coalition of Arab nations willing to either fight with the US military and allies or at least lend support in the effort. Two, to keep more radical Arab nations and of course Iran( Persians BTW) out of the way. Had Israel gotten involved the whole thing would have fallen apart.
It would have been bloody beyond belief.

I've been reading more and more about Israel lately. Many people feel their PM is attempting to make the US look undependable in an attempt to convince his people the best course is to strike first.

Isreal air assets don't have the legs to go it alone.
Israel has formidable air power. It is their lack of long range missile capability which will force Israel to use it's air force to the extent that it would create a risk.
Quite frankly I do not believe Iran has the means to successfully defend itself against an air assault by Israel.
My concern is the Russians( a long time ally of Iran0 will step in to assist Iran.
The Russian government is well known for it's Anti-Semitism and it's anti Israel stance.

Last edited:
I've been reading more and more about Israel lately. Many people feel their PM is attempting to make the US look undependable in an attempt to convince his people the best course is to strike first.

Israel has formidable air power. It is their lack of long range missile capability which will force Israel to use it's air force to the extent that it would create a risk.
Quite frankly I do not believe Iran has the means to successfully defend itself against an air assault by Israel.
My concern is the Russians( a long time ally of Iran0 will step in to assist Iran.
The Russian government is well known for it's Anti-Semitism and it's anti Israel stance.

^^^ this.

Its not so much Israel striking out at Iran that worries me, but who would take that opportunity to stand up for Iran and where that might lead.

^^^ this.

Its not so much Israel striking out at Iran that worries me, but who would take that opportunity to stand up for Iran and where that might lead.

Which is why we have to sit in the back corner and make sure none of the other big players jump in.

As an aside I do realize this is basically what led to WWI starting. Bismarck's statement of the next european war being started by some "damn fool thing in the balkans" Has now been replaced by "some damn fool thing in the Middle East"

amazing how history can repeat itself.

If Israel decides to go into an all out war with Iran or whoever, they will be on their own. Maybe Great Britain would help, but if the current administration is still in power, then the United States will stay out of it.

It's just like with the embassies attack. This administration has placed blame on a YouTube video and not on the those who murdered four Americans. I'm pretty sure President Obama thinks if we weren't friends with Israel, the United States wouldn't be in the mess we are in today. That's why President Obama does stupid things to piss off our allies.

If Isreal goes to war, not this tit for tat crap that happens between Isreal and whoever all the time, but full blown, all out war, they will be on their own. I would even bet that President Obama would even tell Israel that we got their back, then after Israel starts something, he would laugh as everyone around them opens a can of whoopass on them and invades.

If Israel decides to go into an all out war with Iran or whoever, they will be on their own. Maybe Great Britain would help, but if the current administration is still in power, then the United States will stay out of it.

It's just like with the embassies attack. This administration has placed blame on a YouTube video and not on the those who murdered four Americans. I'm pretty sure President Obama thinks if we weren't friends with Israel, the United States wouldn't be in the mess we are in today. That's why President Obama does stupid things to piss off our allies.

If Isreal goes to war, not this tit for tat crap that happens between Isreal and whoever all the time, but full blown, all out war, they will be on their own. I would even bet that President Obama would even tell Israel that we got their back, then after Israel starts something, he would laugh as everyone around them opens a can of whoopass on them and invades.

Who can invade? The syrians are too busy blowing up thier own people, The lebanese would start fighting with hezbollah, Jordan's army is not really geared for any offensive action, and Egypt's army probably worries that if it leave egypt the remaining people in power won't let them back in.

Considering the only country left with any amphibeous capacity or carrier capabilty is the US, I would think their seacoast is safe as well.

I doubt the PLA or the 3 Guards Tank Army are up for a 3000k-10000k road march.

I disagree. So long as it stayed a one on one battle I think we would stay out of it with Obama at the helm. If Russia got into it... Well... I don't think we would have much choice then. We have to back them off. Step back comrade... Not your fight. I would think that would be enough to keep it between who it needs to be between.

Now if Mitt is in office. I think it's likely we'll be in WW3 in no time. Because then it'll be the Russians telling us that it's not our fight. And... Well... Republicans have a problem with any authority that doesn't come from them.

I disagree. So long as it stayed a one on one battle I think we would stay out of it with Obama at the helm. If Russia got into it... Well... I don't think we would have much choice then. We have to back them off. Step back comrade... Not your fight. I would think that would be enough to keep it between who it needs to be between.

Now if Mitt is in office. I think it's likely we'll be in WW3 in no time. Because then it'll be the Russians telling us that it's not our fight. And... Well... Republicans have a problem with any authority that doesn't come from them.

Russia is our number one foe ;)

You know if the Russians decide to step it up there is NO good response at that point. Dont back Israel, they lose, and Russia is the new superpower. After Israel is gone they would suck up the rest of the ME and would expect no one to do anything about it. At that point you got a war, or basically we go back to hiding behind our oceans.

Tell russia to shove it, and we got a war if they dont back down.

Russia backing Iran and actually joining in the shooting is lose lose for us.

Israel isn't declaring war on Iran, they are going to bomb their nuke sites like they bombed Iraq's nuke sites years ago.

Iran will declare war on Israel and maybe us, then they seal their fate if they attack us.

Iran's best hope is to use their SAMs provided by "Russia" to shoot down the Israeli aircraft and capture the pilots for some grand standing parade. Iran will also play the victim at the UN where the Russians and Chinese will support them trying to put sanctions on Israel for stopping them from getting nukes to "destroy Israel."

Yes, they are that pathetic and ludicrous....but they are evil.

Israel isn't declaring war on Iran, they are going to bomb their nuke sites like they bombed Iraq's nuke sites years ago.

Iran will declare war on Israel and maybe us, then they seal their fate if they attack us.

Iran's best hope is to use their SAMs provided by "Russia" to shoot down the Israeli aircraft and capture the pilots for some grand standing parade. Iran will also play the victim at the UN where the Russians and Chinese will support them trying to put sanctions on Israel for stopping them from getting nukes to "destroy Israel."

iran declaring actual war on us if they are attacked by Israel would rival Hitler's screw-up by declaring war on the US after Pearl Harbor. At that point it gave Roosevelt carte blanche to proceed with the Europe First Strategy.

and now for the required reference to Godwin's Law

blog_godwins_law.jpg

As though, by some twist of chaos, our own forces would not be attacked--and we would not respond. It's possible.

I guess.

Russia is our number one foe ;)
Bullshit... We are our own worst enemy.

Iran is like the Nazis, they hate the Jews and aren't rational.

I'm guessing they lash out at everyone in the region with missiles to raise hell or they play the victim hoping the UN comes to their rescue.

iran declaring actual war on us if they are attacked by Israel would rival Hitler's screw-up by declaring war on the US after Pearl Harbor. At that point it gave Roosevelt carte blanche to proceed with the Europe First Strategy.

and now for the required reference to Godwin's Law

blog_godwins_law.jpg

You know if the Russians decide to step it up there is NO good response at that point. Dont back Israel, they lose, and Russia is the new superpower. After Israel is gone they would suck up the rest of the ME and would expect no one to do anything about it. At that point you got a war, or basically we go back to hiding behind our oceans.

Tell russia to shove it, and we got a war if they dont back down.

Russia backing Iran and actually joining in the shooting is lose lose for us.
I agree. We would be choosing which of the lesser evils to do. You know... Like a choosing a Republican or Democrat for president for most of the RTM's

As though, by some twist of chaos, our own forces would not be attacked--and we would not respond. It's possible.

I guess.
Keeping our troops in a state that is at war would be stupid unless we were planning on getting in on the action.

Russia will do what they do in the middle east like they did in Iraq with Saddam, Syria with Assad, etc....they will provide weapons and intel but not send their troops to protect their "buddies."

The Russians supported the Arabs with weapons and intel during the Cold War when those Arabs attacked Israel but Russia never sent their troops to fight.

Russia is evil but they aren't stupid sending their troops to expose their evil ways....

Have we obligated ourselves to join them?

I would support it - and I'd serve.

You, coward?

After all, they are an ally (I know you're cheering for Iran - but, fuck you).

too fucking funny. you tough guys crack me up. what're ya gonna do...mount a .50 cal on that motorbike of yours and get another tat to scare the hell out of 'em, rambo.

they'll be our ally when they get in NATO. why don't you tell me exactly what they have done for us. i we have to lose american lives in iran, let's lose them for america and our own security, not israeli greed and fear.

Forum List

Back