If gun control isn't the answer, what is?

No doubt. This has been a problem for some time. Young guys out in the field, tired, no sleep; the guys on guard duty fall asleep - shoot, I did back then...geez, nearly any idiot could walk into a bivouac area and take what they want. Obviously wouldn't happen in a combat zone, but training? you bet.

During a several day FTX during my IOBC at Benning, the cadre woke us all up and gathered the whole group to the center of our night time position to guard the weapons. They'd been told someone was going around that night stealing weapons from troops in the field.

Of course....we had no live ammo! :ack-1:

Thank God for small favors, right? Yeah, from about 1973-4 to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1986 or so, it was fairly common to lose weapons. I spoke with a CID investigator some years later and it was mainly Vietnam Vets who, after coming home, had hooked up with different MCs and made that a part of their routine. Shoot, they were good at it. One thing that they apparently ad in common, though, was that, as far as I know, no one was ever killed. Couple of young Privates were given concussions, but nothing too serious.

My office was called in initially to determine if there was a "national security threat" and once we determined that it wasn't, we turned it over to CID and they, eventually, brought in the FBI. There have been a few arrests, over the years, but not enough to account for the hundreds of weapons that were stolen.

My IOBC at Benning was during that time frame. It was either 1980 or 81.

Of course those are legally purchased. Count illegal guns and it might be different.

It still proves that those states where responsible people per capita are purchasing the most guns have some of the lowest crime rates.

Yup. Should be common sense. Guns are dangerous. In the hands of honest citizens they are dangerous to criminals. In the hands of criminals they are dangerous to honest citizens. Make your choice.

Of course those are legally purchased. Count illegal guns and it might be different.

It still proves that those states where responsible people per capita are purchasing the most guns have some of the lowest crime rates.

Yup. Should be common sense. Guns are dangerous. In the hands of honest citizens they are dangerous to criminals. In the hands of criminals they are dangerous to honest citizens. Make your choice.

Agreed... so keeping the guns out of the hands of crazies and criminals, and teaching those that are not, to be responsible with guns, should be the priority. I am all for a mandatory saftey class, just like getting a driver's license, before one is allowed to buy a gun. Many states, like mine, already have laws about keeping them locked, and laws about transporting. I would be interested to know if those type of laws were in the town where Lanza's mother kept her guns.

Agreed... so keeping the guns out of the hands of crazies and criminals, and teaching those that are not, to be responsible with guns, should be the priority. I am all for a mandatory saftey class, just like getting a driver's license, before one is allowed to buy a gun. Many states, like mine, already have laws about keeping them locked, and laws about transporting. I would be interested to know if those type of laws were in the town where Lanza's mother kept her guns.

MOST responsible gun owners already take classes, know how to respect their weapons...why don't you all go after the crazies instead of making everyone else pay for your insane ideas..Instead you just leave them on the streets to kill innocents then come after the people who had nothing to do with

MOST responsible gun owners already take classes, know how to respect their weapons...why don't you all go after the crazies instead of making everyone else pay for your insane ideas..Instead you just leave them on the streets to kill innocents then come after the people who had nothing to do with

How in the fuck does one one determine a "responsible gun owner"? Tests? Leave No Gun Loon Left Behind? The day before Adam went on his melee, would you have called his mom, Nancy, a responsible owner?

Gun control will work in the long term. What will happen is the same thing that happened with cigarettes. The use has declined over the decades since we started placing warnings on them, society has placed burdens on smokers, the health risks have been highlighted and we've taxed the holy you-know-what out of them.

They are still available but much less front-and-center than they used to be.

It takes an incrediby long time to do this but in the end, it is worth every minute spent.

What you do is make the high volumes cartridges harder to get via mail order, place a surtax on them to make them cost prohibitive, and manufacturers sell less of them. So less are made. It is supply and demand.

Lets say that we have a bazillion of these clips out there. Over time, they wear out, get damaged, stolen, destroyed by various means such as fires, floods, etc... So the Bazillion becomes a bathousand over time. Meanwhile, the public becomes safer by increments since you're not able to log on and buy them.

You can replicate the model with things such as the AR15, AK47, etc.. and you're not diminishing the rights under the 2nd amendment at all.

Meanwhile, what you do is place armed guards in schools--men and women trained in aggressive deterence. At no point do you put guns in the hands of teachers or students. Thats batshit crazy.

Human behavior isn't going to change anytime soon but if you took everyone who can't swim and kept them away from water, you'd have fewer drowning deaths. If you stem the tide of guns, eventually, you'll have fewer on the streets.

It's not politics; it's logistics.

Banning guns for law abiding citizens, 99.9% of gun owners, is bat shit crazy.
Then the criminals and government are the only folks that have the guns.

Of course at no point did I say "ban guns from law abiding citizens". You make it very hard to get them as we have done with cigarettes. If you want to pay a $750 tax on a Bushmaster AR15...go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you. It will help pay for all the carnage such weapons deliver.

We can call it a "mayhem tax".

Hey we could impose a tax on every abortion...they could call it a mayhem tax..

:cool:

Hey we could impose a tax on every abortion...they could call it a mayhem tax..

:cool:

Sounds good. Nice to see the Right (wrong) evolving from "baby-killers" to simple "mayhem."

Happier days ahead.

Taking a gun saftey course before buying a gun is an insane idea ? I guess taking driver's Ed is too.... jeeeez..

Taking a gun saftey course before buying a gun is an insane idea ? I guess taking driver's Ed is too.... jeeeez..

no, you wanting to FORCE PEOPLE to take them, nobody FORCES people people to take driver's Ed NOR is it required to take the driving test...

good gawd

no, you wanting to FORCE PEOPLE to take them, nobody FORCES people people to take driver's Ed NOR is it required to take the driving test...

good gawd

Nobody FORCES people to apply for a concealed carry permit either, but safety training is required for that.

What's the difference?

good gawd

You have to pass a driver course before you get the license.
Anyone with any knowledge of weapons knows that education is advised to be a requirement for those with no knowledge of weapons.
Specifically law enforcement and NRA advised it also.

good gawd

Anyone with any knowledge of weapons knows that education is advised to be a requirement for those with no knowledge of weapons.

A coupla things:

requirement

advised

good gawd

A coupla things:

requirement

advised

LOL, obvious you have never bought or owned a weapon.
The only gun you have you piss and play with.
When someone is a first time weapons buyer it is suggested by the person that brings them that they should make it a requirement that they take safety courses BEFORE they buy the weapon.
NRA advises that and teaches that in their courses.
Parent, friend, husband, instructor, law enforcement and military.
Again, anyone that knows anything about weapons knows that it is always a good idea to make it a requirement that a new weapons purchaser take a safety course BEFORE they buy it.
Not a law.

good gawd

true, so you're saying you agree with it being required

Last edited:
The re-opening of mental assylums. The ones that never should have closed in the first place. Guns, videogames, music, tv, and all the other BS don't kill people...Fucking mental patients kill people. Lock them up. Proof of needed medication is enough.
Because I am a strong First Amendment advocate I'd like to say I agree with you, but there is a situation that calls for closer examination. I'm talking about the fact that we can't thumb through the tv channels at any time of day or night without coming across some form of gunplay; someone shooting someone or shooting at someone, or being shot or shot at, with handguns, machine guns, revolvers, automatics, rifles, shotguns. Some of this gunplay is associated with criminality but most of it is associated with good-guy heroics. And enough of seeing something done eventually comes to seem it's like the thing to do.

Try it. Start from Channel 2 and keep going. The more channels you have access to the more gunplay you will happen upon. Your conditioned reaction to this gun violence will be casual dismissal. The reason for that is you've become so conditioned to what in fact are animated images of lethal violence they have become familiar and subliminally acceptable activities.

While this process of inculcation via tv and movies does not impart a motivating effect on the average individual I believe it sets up the psyche of exceptional individuals, such as Adam Lanza, to behave in a way which has become commonplace -- even natural to them.

Last edited:

good gawd
which people are people people.

Forum List

Back