I would vote for Mike Rowe for president

That isn't a controversial statement. I doubt if anyone believes education alone is an arbiter of success.

As an example, to be successful as a surgeon or as an army general - both education and training are needed.
It takes enough experience to know how to apply what you learned in school. I like to make an example of how NYC bought commuter buses from Grumman. The folks who build the LEM that landed on the moon, and operated flawlessly, even for Apollo 13.
But the Grumman "Flxible 870" buses they built for NYC, developed frame cracks, and were soon put out of service.

New York City Transit ordered 851 Grumman Flxible 870 buses in 1980. However, these buses were removed from service following several incidents in which cracks in the metal "A frames" of the buses were discovered. After repairs were made, the buses were returned to service until 1984, at which point they were permanently withdrawn from service in New York City

I wondered how could the rocket scientists who designed and build the Lunar Module, not know how to build a commuter bus that wouldn't crack after a couple of years.

It takes enough experience to know how to apply what you learned in school. I like to make an example of how NYC bought commuter buses from Grumman. The folks who build the LEM that landed on the moon, and operated flawlessly, even for Apollo 13.
But the Grumman "Flxible 870" buses they built for NYC, developed frame cracks, and were soon put out of service.

New York City Transit ordered 851 Grumman Flxible 870 buses in 1980. However, these buses were removed from service following several incidents in which cracks in the metal "A frames" of the buses were discovered. After repairs were made, the buses were returned to service until 1984, at which point they were permanently withdrawn from service in New York City

I wondered how could the rocket scientists who designed and build the Lunar Module, not know how to build a commuter bus that wouldn't crack after a couple of years.
Again, who says differently?

Is there anyone who will claim that only education without training is the way? Of course not.

No one...absolutely no one claims that you can operate on someone or operate a rocket with just pure education. NO ONE.

Let me guess... You are a tradesman with very little education. So, you go through life with a chip on your shoulder thinking every educated person you meet is looking down on you? How am I doing? Did I hit the mark?

Since you have a chip on your shoulder, you came here with a classic straw man argument. Expecting someone to come along and claim that everyone "must go to college" or be considered dumb.

Guess what? You will find no one who is going to make that claim outside of your deluded brain.

What you will find is that some profession indeed needs an education - would you have a dude operating on your family who does not have a medical degree? How about representing you in court on a murder charge?

But if my basement was flooded or if my house was burning down - I could care less that you have a degree from Harvard or Yale. What I am looking for is expertise.

So, stop putting these kinds of straw-man arguments up just so that you can feel better about yourself. Maybe in your profession, you don't need a college degree. Great. Bill Gates famously quit MIT and went on to be a successful programmer and businessman. Steve Jobs dropped out of a non-Ivy League school. Neither one would be considered uneducated nor would anyone look down on them.

So, stop mopping and get on with your life. Class dismissed.
I got my nursing degree at a trade school. No one looks down on me in my field. No one cares one way or the other.

The only ones in my field with chips on their shoulders that I’ve noticed are people like social workers who have 4-6 year degrees yet make substantially less than the floor LPNs with their 10 month vocational diplomas

That is because Trump wasn't who he put himself forward as. He was like George Santos. Making up stories about his health, his wealth, and himself.
How much he was worth would change with his mood.
Trump’s corruption, dishonesty, and criminality made things worse – but his ultimate failure was the consequence of his incompetence, lack of experience, ignorance of the law, and no understanding of responsible governance.

The notion that anyone can just walk off the street and become an effective president is a myth.

I got my nursing degree at a trade school. No one looks down on me in my field. No one cares one way or the other.

The only ones in my field with chips on their shoulders that I’ve noticed are people like social workers who have 4-6 year degrees yet make substantially less than the floor LPNs with their 10 month vocational diplomas
Ok, good to know. Not sure what that has to do with my response but ok.

It’s naïve and childish to believe someone with no experience in – or knowledge of – the law, responsible governance, and sound public policy can be an effective president.

Again, the Trump disaster is proof of that.

How have all our life long politicians done?

Who is more responsible for the sorry state of this country?

The few people with little or no experience being a politician or the people who have been life long politicians?

Forum List

Back