I wonder who the mental midget was.....

The apology rings hollow. I hope the participants AND their leaders who endorsed this action see jail time.

While polluters in this nation get off with a slap on the wrist and the GOP Congress guts the EPA?

Greenpeace is assumed to be experts in their field. Conservation of archaeological sites, especially WORLD HERITAGE SITES, is the responsibility of all the peoples of this planet. To have "experts" in the field do something this asinine is beyond the pale.

Yes, jail time is warranted for this. It would be like having a doctor use his position and reputation to molest people in his office.

How about GP do a fundraiser instead to help restore and preserve the monument?

Wouldn't that be a more fitting punishment instead of mere vengence that will just cost the Peruvian taxpayers money?

No. Using other peoples money to fix YOUR mistake does nothing. Now, if they had to do the work themselves in the hot Peruvian sun. That I could get behind.

I am sure that they will have plenty of volunteers willing to do just that.

The apology rings hollow. I hope the participants AND their leaders who endorsed this action see jail time.

While polluters in this nation get off with a slap on the wrist and the GOP Congress guts the EPA?

Greenpeace is assumed to be experts in their field. Conservation of archaeological sites, especially WORLD HERITAGE SITES, is the responsibility of all the peoples of this planet. To have "experts" in the field do something this asinine is beyond the pale.

Yes, jail time is warranted for this. It would be like having a doctor use his position and reputation to molest people in his office.

Wouldn't that be a more fitting punishment instead of mere vengence that will just cost the Peruvian taxpayers money?

No. Using other peoples money to fix YOUR mistake does nothing. Now, if they had to do the work themselves in the hot Peruvian sun. That I could get behind.

And that too would not be proper. The idiots who engaged in the vandalism are the ones who should do the work. No volunteers. THE CULPRITS are the ones who do the work.

And that too would not be proper. The idiots who engaged in the vandalism are the ones who should do the work. No volunteers. THE CULPRITS are the ones who do the work.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that they would be the ones volunteering.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that they would be the ones volunteering.

Oh, I have a feeling "compelled" is the more accurate word to describe what would be happening. The very fact that they did the act tells me the level of their care.

Surely you jest. Polluters get prosecuted and the EPA is not being cut.

There are cuts to the EPA in the Cromnibus bill just rammed through the House by a partisan majority of Republicans without a single Democratic vote.

Surely you jest in making such a comparison.

This is up there on the richter scale with the Taliban blowing up the Buddahs of Bamiyan.

At least the Taliban based their destruction of a historic and priceless site on their religious interpretation of the Koran as compared to bloody fools going for a shock photo op at the expense of a World Heritage Site.

The sheer arrogance of the act is beyond appalling. And it was arrogance. All for a stupid bumper sticker message for their climate change religion.

Assholes. The whole bloody lot of them that were in on this.

Your hyperbolic comparison fails since the Peruvian monument is still there whereas the Buddahs were completed destroyed.

The Peruvian officials are claiming that the damage is irreversible. A new line to the Hummingbird.

Go bitch at the Peruvians and tell them it's no big freaking smurf that Green Peace fucked up their World Heritage Site big time.

Really nothing to worry or fret about. The Peruvians are overdoing it.

Yeah. Yeah that's the ticket.

:lol:

Any asshole trying to minimize the damage caused by Green Peace for their photo op is a complete and utter whack job.

"On Tuesday, culture ministry officials showed reporters aerial photographs of the damage, and said that when the Greenpeace trespassers snuck into the U.N. World Heritage site in the middle of the night, they marched single-file across the delicate volcanic rocks and white sand, leaving a path that has introduced a new line to the iconic Hummingbird-shaped figure.

The damage is "irreversible," Peruvian officials say, explaining that the rainless desert landscape is so delicate that visitors are required to obtain government permission and use special shoes to approach the site.

"What they have done is an attack on a site that is one of the most fragile in the world," cultural official Luis Jaime Castillo told reporters Tuesday."

How a Greenpeace stunt in Peru drives home the global climate divide - The Washington Post

Surely you jest. Polluters get prosecuted and the EPA is not being cut.

There are cuts to the EPA in the Cromnibus bill just rammed through the House by a partisan majority of Republicans without a single Democratic vote.
If true good. Every gov agency should be cut...and cut drastically...but that won't happen...big gov keeps on rolling...do not fear

Gee, we can repair the Sistine Chapel and Eqyptian tombs and all other great art heritage works but somehow not a single person anywhere can repair this damage?

:cuckoo:

Gee, we can repair the Sistine Chapel and Eqyptian tombs and all other great art heritage works but somehow not a single person anywhere can repair this damage?

It's actually extremely difficult to repair this sort of damage. The very act of repairing it, itself causes damage. That's the problem. Removing the traces left requires a tremendous amount of knowledge and a very, very light touch. There are probably less than 10 people in the world who have that level of knowledge, and skill. That's why this is such a big deal.

Its always interesting to see who steps up to defend the indefensible.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
There are better ways of getting your message out. I've seen this site first hand and it is remarkable to behold. They deserve to be prosecuted in my opinion. Clowns!

Greenpeace sorry for Nazca lines stunt in Peru
Matt McGrath
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent, BBC News, Lima
Greenpeace protest at Nazca
Activists from the organisation placed a banner next to a figure of a hummingbird, carved more than 1,500 years ago
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Peru moves to sue Greenpeace
Bishops call for end to fossil fuels
Climate talks open as world heats up
Greenpeace has apologised for any "moral offence" it has caused, after a publicity stunt on the ancient Nazca lines in Peru.

Activists from the organisation placed a banner next to a figure of a hummingbird, carved more than 1,500 years ago.

They were hoping to increase pressure on UN negotiators currently meeting in Lima.

The Peruvian government said it would prosecute the activists who took part.

The ancient depictions of animals, including a monkey and a hummingbird that are etched into the arid plain of Southern Peru are a vital part of the county's heritage.

Visits to the site are closely supervised - ministers and presidents have to seek special permission and special footwear to tread on the fragile ground where the 1,500 year old lines are cut.

Earlier this week 20 Greenpeace activists from seven countries unfurled a protest banner very close to the location of the lines.

'Slap in the face'
"With our message from the Nazca lines, we expect politicians to understand the legacy we need to leave for future generations," said one of the activists, Mauro Fernandez, on a video produced by the organisation.

"It is not a legacy of climate crisis."

Unfortunately, according to the Peruvian authorities, the legacy of the stunt was damage to the ancient site.

Greenpeace activists
Visitors usually seek special permission to view the Nazca lines
They say the green group entered a strictly prohibited area and left footprints. The government is asking for the identities of those involved and threatening prosecution and six years in prison for the offenders.

"It's a true slap in the face at everything Peruvians consider sacred,'' Deputy Culture Minister Luis Jaime Castillo said, speaking to news agencies.

Greenpeace have now issued a fulsome apology, saying they are deeply concerned about any "moral offence" and stating that they will speak to the authorities and explain what really happened.

"The peaceful protest by Greenpeace in the area of the Nazca lines was to demonstrate the impacts of climate change and honour the historical legacy of this town who learned to live with the environment without affecting it," said Greenpeace legal advisor Henry Carhuatocto.

A statement released by the group said: "Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused... We are deeply sorry for this.

"We fully understand that this looks bad. Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.

"We have now met with the Peruvian culture ministry responsible for the site to offer an apology. We welcome any independent review of the consequences of our activity. We will co-operate fully with any investigation."

The statement went on to say that Greenpeace is willing to face "fair and reasonable consequences" for its actions and that its International Executive Director Kumi Naidoo will travel to Lima this week personally to apologise for the offence caused.

Who dreamed up this stupid stunt. I am finding it truly difficult to understand the level of stupidity involved in this act. The damage these jackasses did to this amazing archaeological site is astounding. And not once did these so called smart people stop to think...for even a moment, that maybe this wasn't a good idea.

These are the types of imbeciles that olfraud, dottie, crick, and the others look up too.

No wonder they're losing on such a vast and fast scale. This level of moronicism (sic) needs to be punished. And severely.

"And so they have. The impact of their footprints on the fragile desert site, in fact, will last "hundreds or thousands of years," according to outraged Peruvian officials.
So furious is the Peruvian government that it has barred the Greenpeace activists from leaving the country and is preparing criminal charges for "attacking archeological monuments," punishable by up to eight years in prison."

Greenpeaces-time-for-chan-010.jpg

How a Greenpeace stunt in Peru drives home the global climate divide - The Washington Post

I wish Peru would just shoot their asses.
This is outrageous, and I hope they get "full penalty of law".
Maybe a cell with Van der Sloot!

Who dreamed up this stupid stunt. I am finding it truly difficult to understand the level of stupidity involved in this act. The damage these jackasses did to this amazing archaeological site is astounding. And not once did these so called smart people stop to think...for even a moment, that maybe this wasn't a good idea.

These are the types of imbeciles that olfraud, dottie, crick, and the others look up too.

No wonder they're losing on such a vast and fast scale. This level of moronicism (sic) needs to be punished. And severely.

"And so they have. The impact of their footprints on the fragile desert site, in fact, will last "hundreds or thousands of years," according to outraged Peruvian officials.
So furious is the Peruvian government that it has barred the Greenpeace activists from leaving the country and is preparing criminal charges for "attacking archeological monuments," punishable by up to eight years in prison."

Greenpeaces-time-for-chan-010.jpg

Looks like Greenpeace has accepted responsibility and apologized already.

Greenpeace apologises to people of Peru over Nazca lines stunt Environment The Guardian

Greenpeace has apologised to the people of Peru after the government accused the environmentalists of damaging ancient earth markings in the country’s coastal desert by leaving footprints in the ground during a publicity stunt meant to send a message to the UN climate talks delegates in Lima.

A spokesman for Greenpeace said: “Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused by our recent activity laying a message of hope at the site of the historic Nazca lines. We are deeply sorry for this.

“Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.”​

Great.

They apologized for a crime against the world.

No, Peru should jail them, and sue them out of existence.

Greenpeace sorry for Nazca lines stunt in Peru
Matt McGrath
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent, BBC News, Lima
Greenpeace protest at Nazca
Activists from the organisation placed a banner next to a figure of a hummingbird, carved more than 1,500 years ago
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Peru moves to sue Greenpeace
Bishops call for end to fossil fuels
Climate talks open as world heats up
Greenpeace has apologised for any "moral offence" it has caused, after a publicity stunt on the ancient Nazca lines in Peru.

Activists from the organisation placed a banner next to a figure of a hummingbird, carved more than 1,500 years ago.

They were hoping to increase pressure on UN negotiators currently meeting in Lima.

The Peruvian government said it would prosecute the activists who took part.

The ancient depictions of animals, including a monkey and a hummingbird that are etched into the arid plain of Southern Peru are a vital part of the county's heritage.

Visits to the site are closely supervised - ministers and presidents have to seek special permission and special footwear to tread on the fragile ground where the 1,500 year old lines are cut.

Earlier this week 20 Greenpeace activists from seven countries unfurled a protest banner very close to the location of the lines.

'Slap in the face'
"With our message from the Nazca lines, we expect politicians to understand the legacy we need to leave for future generations," said one of the activists, Mauro Fernandez, on a video produced by the organisation.

"It is not a legacy of climate crisis."

Unfortunately, according to the Peruvian authorities, the legacy of the stunt was damage to the ancient site.

Greenpeace activists
Visitors usually seek special permission to view the Nazca lines
They say the green group entered a strictly prohibited area and left footprints. The government is asking for the identities of those involved and threatening prosecution and six years in prison for the offenders.

"It's a true slap in the face at everything Peruvians consider sacred,'' Deputy Culture Minister Luis Jaime Castillo said, speaking to news agencies.

Greenpeace have now issued a fulsome apology, saying they are deeply concerned about any "moral offence" and stating that they will speak to the authorities and explain what really happened.

"The peaceful protest by Greenpeace in the area of the Nazca lines was to demonstrate the impacts of climate change and honour the historical legacy of this town who learned to live with the environment without affecting it," said Greenpeace legal advisor Henry Carhuatocto.

A statement released by the group said: "Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused... We are deeply sorry for this.

"We fully understand that this looks bad. Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.

"We have now met with the Peruvian culture ministry responsible for the site to offer an apology. We welcome any independent review of the consequences of our activity. We will co-operate fully with any investigation."

The statement went on to say that Greenpeace is willing to face "fair and reasonable consequences" for its actions and that its International Executive Director Kumi Naidoo will travel to Lima this week personally to apologise for the offence caused.

A plastic banner of fossil fuel origin, no doubt.

Fuckin' hypocrites.

A plastic banner of fossil fuel origin, no doubt.

Nope! It was cloth.

Greenpeace Faces Charges Over Banner On Peru s Sacred Nazca Lines

There were a total of 5 people including the guide. They used an existing path to get there. The closeups don't show any damage that is clearly visible to the image itself. Even the area where they put the banner seems to be much the same as the rest of the surroundings.

The "moral" outrage seems to be more manufactured than any real physical damage that might have been done.

Since when do conservatives care about preserving anything? At least Frank is sticking to his roots.

Conserve-atives. Conserve - atives. Do you have a dictionary? Look up the word "conserve." I don't know any conservatives who want to destroy ancient, archeological sites. Apparently it's the idiot Liberals who don't seem to have a problem with that.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Had the Tea Party or the John Birch Society done the sort of damage seen in the OP you would be calling for the death penalty. But since Green Pee did it you sound almost apologetic. Do you not find that somewhat hypocritical?

Forum List

Back