I was at a party with a bunch of Doctors last night....

Ranging from those who are starting on July 1st (like me) to those who have practiced for a few years to those that have practiced for a decade.

All anyone could talk about was ACA and it wasn't good.

The more experienced doctors were already making plans to leave medicine. I heard comments along the line of "this is the end of medicine." "The system is going to implode." "You will basically be working for peanuts in an environment that is going to be rife with litigation and no shields." "Your only hope is for Romney to win and get rid of this monstrosity, otherwise you should leave now."

Actually, I didn't hear any of this. I didn't hear anything good or bad about the ACA. Most people seemed unconcerned.

I believe they are unconcerned because no one knows what the true effect* of ACA is going to be. I had a good laugh at my local conservative talker guy trying to articulate what he thought this would do to patient care. He sounded like an idiot, because the things he was saying made absolutely no sense to someone familiar with patient care.

ACA could indeed be disastrous policy. It could also be great policy. I just don't know. And I don't think you, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Ed Schultz do either.

*Meaning the effect on health care delivery in this country and not the effect on individual tax payers in regard to cost.

That was mean. Getting those conservatives all hot and bothered and then pulling the rug out.

when i had Kaiser Fox.....they dictated everything......my Wife is an Epileptic....they were terrible,they turned down many tests my wife needed and the Doctors ordered.....we left went to Blue Shield.....they have never turned her down for any test her Neurologist orders..... so some of them DO dictate....

In other words, the insurance company didn't dictate jack shit. You obviously don't understand the meaning of "dictate."

if Kaiser said no to everything ....WHO did the dictating?.....look up the word....maybe your Right-Wing corrupted Brain might get the meaning...
here it is from a Dictionary.....

a : to issue as an order
b : to impose, pronounce, or specify authoritatively.....
now i will ask again.....if Kaiser said no to everything.....were they not DICTATING an order to the Doctors?......

But the point is, Kaiser was NOT dictating everything. Kaiser was stating what they, Kaiser, would pay for under the terms of their own policy. If you didn't like whatever restrictions your contract with them imposed, you are now free to purchase different, more friendly insurance, or buy what you need on your own. It is no different for me or any of the millions of other Seniors on Medicare. The government strictly dictates what we can or cannot have and what it will pay for what we get. And a whole lot of that makes absolutely no sense at all..

Under a totally government controlled program, you will have no such options because all other options will be eliminated. And if you do not think that is where Obama is headed with this, you haven't been paying attention. Once government has the ability to issue the payments, it has the ability to call all the shots re your medical care.

And anybody who thinks government is more competent to do that than is the private sector is probably pretty close to being a fool.

when i had Kaiser Fox.....they dictated everything......my Wife is an Epileptic....they were terrible,they turned down many tests my wife needed and the Doctors ordered.....we left went to Blue Shield.....they have never turned her down for any test her Neurologist orders..... so some of them DO dictate....

In other words, the insurance company didn't dictate jack shit. You obviously don't understand the meaning of "dictate."

if Kaiser said no to everything ....WHO did the dictating?.....look up the word....maybe your Right-Wing corrupted Brain might get the meaning...

now i will ask again.....if Kaiser said no to everything.....were they not DICTATING an order to the Doctors?......

To dictate is when force is used, like pointing a gun at your head, to set the terms of a contract. If you are free to go elsewhere, then the terms haven't been dictated. The terms of Obamacare are dictated. Private insurance isn't.

But the point is, Kaiser was NOT dictating everything. Kaiser was stating what they, Kaiser, would pay for under the terms of their own policy. If you didn't like whatever restrictions your contract with them imposed, you are now free to purchase different, more friendly insurance, or buy what you need on your own. It is no different for me or any of the millions of other Seniors on Medicare. The government strictly dictates what we can or cannot have and what it will pay for what we get. And a whole lot of that makes absolutely no sense at all..

Under a totally government controlled program, you will have no such options because all other options will be eliminated. And if you do not think that is where Obama is headed with this, you haven't been paying attention. Once government has the ability to issue the payments, it has the ability to call all the shots re your medical care.

And anybody who thinks government is more competent to do that than is the private sector is probably pretty close to being a fool.

Medicare paid for many, many things when my father was sick and he was denied no treatment.

I find it laughable that you are on medicare and yet here you are whining about something that won't impact you in the least.

If you don't like medicare, don't use it. Pretty simple.

To dictate is when force is used, like pointing a gun at your head, to set the terms of a contract. If you are free to go elsewhere, then the terms haven't been dictated. The terms of Obamacare are dictated. Private insurance isn't.
You're stupid, aren't you. Under the ACA the policies will be with private insurance companies.

It's just too bad really that most insurance policies don't offer treatment for Republicanism. But that would be a mental health issue and sadly mental health issues don't get good coverage.

The government is the last thing that the doctors and other medical professionals that I know want involved in their practice's and business.

You're stupid, aren't you. Under the ACA the policies will be with private insurance companies.

It's just too bad really that most insurance policies don't offer treatment for Republicanism. But that would be a mental health issue and sadly mental health issues don't get good coverage.

Chiropractic, either. Too bad - wingnuts are all bent out of shape! :lol:

More band-aid on a broken leg thinking.

The issue is the cost. What drives the cost of medicine? Government bureaucracy. Government mandates. Industry protectionism. Hidden pricing. Lawsuits and doctor's protective insurance costs. Limited competition by state protectionism. Just to name a few.

That's what needs to be addressed. Not just a bigger band aid that nobody can afford.

Last edited:

Medicare paid for many, many things when my father was sick and he was denied no treatment.

I find it laughable that you are on medicare and yet here you are whining about something that won't impact you in the least.

If you don't like medicare, don't use it. Pretty simple.

The government has already taken away my options. No insurance company other than those that anybody but millionaries can afford will take on a patient who is eligible for Medicare. So for those of us of limited means, it is Medicare or nothing.

My aunt recently went for an injection as treatment for her severe osteoporosis. Her bloodwork indicated that the injections were having an adverse affect on her liver, so she could not take any more of that particular medication. We sat in the area for three hours while they researched what Medicare would or would not pay for an alternative. We were advised that the best medication for her condition, better than the one she had been getting and with far fewer side effects, was not authorized by Medicare UNLESS she had had her gall bladder out. I asked what her gall bladder had to do with osteoporosis. The doctor said, nothing at all, but Medicare is full of stupid and incomprehensible rules like that. So we waited another hour, she got an injection of an inferior medication, we waited still another hour to be sure there would be no adverse reaction to it, and left.

Now if government Medicare can effectively put all Senior Citizens under its control and dictate what they can and cannot have as determined by the government and cause almost all private sector insurance to go away, does anybody with a brain honestly believe that private sector insurance will survive once government takes over control of the entire medical system? Especially when Fearless Leader expressed before he was elected President that a wholly controlled government system was his goal?

Last edited:
What Obama said behind closed doors:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAyan1fXCE]Obama on single payer health insurance - YouTube[/ame]

And what he wants us now to believe:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAPLb-HVcM]Barack Obama and single payer health care - YouTube[/ame]

But some folks sure think he is the messiah and savior of all that is good, honest, honorable, and trustworthy. It simply boggles the mind.

Ranging from those who are starting on July 1st (like me) to those who have practiced for a few years to those that have practiced for a decade.

The more experienced doctors were already making plans to leave medicine. I heard comments along the line of "this is the end of medicine." "The system is going to implode." "You will basically be working for peanuts in an environment that is going to be rife with litigation and no shields." "Your only hope is for Romney to win and get rid of this monstrosity, otherwise you should leave now."

Actually, I didn't hear any of this. I didn't hear anything good or bad about the ACA. Most people seemed unconcerned.

I believe they are unconcerned because no one knows what the true effect* of ACA is going to be. I had a good laugh at my local conservative talker guy trying to articulate what he thought this would do to patient care. He sounded like an idiot, because the things he was saying made absolutely no sense to someone familiar with patient care.

ACA could indeed be disastrous policy. It could also be great policy. I just don't know. And I don't think you, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Ed Schultz do either.

*Meaning the effect on health care delivery in this country and not the effect on individual tax payers in regard to cost.

Every meeting we've had since it was passed and signed about the ACA centered around stability. The brass wasn't concerned one way or the other; only with formulating strategy for the rules--regardless of what the rules were. The Roberts court ruling was a measure of clarity we do not normally get from the federal government. This act could affect things all the way down the line.

Every meeting we've had since it was passed and signed about the ACA centered around stability. The brass wasn't concerned one way or the other; only with formulating strategy for the rules--regardless of what the rules were. The Roberts court ruling was a measure of clarity we do not normally get from the federal government. This act could affect things all the way down the line.

You've probably said it elsewhere, but what field do you work in?

"Self Pay" is a disaster. Do you know why your CT costs $900? Because all the "Self Pay" people who pay $0 for their CTs.

That isn't "self pay." That's third party pay. Half the time it's the government who pays.
How can paying $0 correctly be called "self pay." Only a libturd could come up with such locutions.

Hey, jack nuts. I am not the one who came up with the distinction. Google "self pay" and educate yourself. The term is due to EMTALA, which your hero Reagan put into law. You can't allow any perception of prejudice based on ability to pay be entered into patient care. Therefore, "self pay" as opposed to "no insurance".

You are right. It is third party pay. If you have insurance, you end up paying for them.

Now continue bitching about the ACA.

What I'd like to see is a group of retired doctors get on the web and tell folks how to treat themselves at home without other doctors or hospitals.

There is a reason that doesn't currently exist.

That reason is, it's fucking stupid.

I'll give you the secret. You want to avoid the hospital? Keep your BMI below 25, stop smoking (if you do), drink in moderation, do at least 30 minutes of cardio everyday, go see your doctor twice a year for routine health maintenance to include screens, colonoscopies, etc.

We can always insource doctors from other countrys where they are not paid nearly as much as they are there.

We do, and that's why it's so difficult for our own students to get into med school.

No. That is incorrect. Medical School seats has nothing to do with residency slots. If you said "that is why every year American students don't match into their residency" then you would be correct to a degree.

Though, keep in mind, the kids who go to medical school in the Caribbean are considered "foreign Medical Grads".

Forum List

Back