I think Rove might be in trouble.

bock2911

Rookie
Jun 24, 2005
Well, it sounds like the grand jury might be looking into Rove for perjury and obstrusction of Justice. If that is true, Rove and Libby's time on the hill might be short.

Bush aide misled FBI, say reports

Julian Borger in New York
Saturday July 23, 2005

Guardian
The investigation into the White House leak of a CIA agent's identity is now focusing on whether two top administration officials provided misleading statements to the FBI, it was reported yesterday.

According to press accounts, Karl Rove, the president's chief political adviser, and Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the vice-president's chief of staff, both provided testimony that was later contradicted by other evidence.

In an initial round of interviews with investigators, Mr Rove is reported to have omitted to mention that he had discussed the agent's identity with a Time reporter in July 2003, a few days after Mr Wilson had published a highly critical article.

According to a Bloomberg news agency report, Mr Libby testified that he had first heard about Ms Plame from an NBC television journalist, Tim Russert. But according to NBC, Mr Russert denied the claim in his evidence to a grand jury last year.

The New York Times yesterday reported that at the time of the leak, Mr Rove and Mr Libby had been collaborating on the administration's response to Mr Wilson's central allegation that President George Bush had misled the American public in his January 2003 State of the Union address.

In that speech, laying out the case for war, the president cited evidence of Iraqi attempts to buy uranium in Niger, west Africa. The claim was found to have been based on forged documents.

Leaking the identity of an undercover agent is a serious crime under US law, but prosecutors would have to prove that the leaker was aware of the agent's covert status. However, the investigation, led by federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, is reported also to be investigating possible charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1534684,00.html

bock2911 said:
Well, it sounds like the grand jury might be looking into Rove for perjury and obstrusction of Justice. If that is true, Rove and Libby's time on the hill might be short.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1534684,00.html

Notice where you got the story from. The only ones still pushing this story in the media are those who WISH it were true. Rove didnt commit any crime and therefore nothing will be done to him. But i suspect the NYT and Guardian will still have front page stories of ROve lieing from now until 2008 with a lower header of Abu Gharib.

Well, it sounds to me, and what I have read at various other sources also, that Rove commited perjury, which last time I checked, was a crime... mmmm.... interesting.

bock2911 said:
Well, it sounds to me, and what I have read at various other sources also, that Rove commited perjury, which last time I checked, was a crime... mmmm.... interesting.

oj simpson commited perjury and he is free......mr clinton committed perjury and he is free.....hillary clinto committed perjury and she is free

There are a few simple reasons why this is going to play out in a way that is not going to make either side of the political spectrum happy...

1. It was common knowledge by those who worked in the right circles in the beltway that Valerie Plame was a CIA Agent who, IN THE PAST, had done undercover work. This information became common knowledge when it was discussed publically in 1994, I believe, during the Clinton years.

2. All of the comments from Rove that have emerged so far have been suitably explainable as a member of the Bush Administration explaining why they were unconcerned with Wilson's report. As of yet he has not said anything that looks like a deliberate attempt to take revenge on Wilson by outing his no-longer-covert wife. Bottom line with this one: According to the law as it exists now, Plame could not be "outed" because she already way "out."

3. Wilson has been caught in several fibs of his own, making it hard to claim victim status.

Heres how I see it playing out. Rove will be found guilty of absolutely nothing. Bush will not fire him. The left will bring him up everytime they want to discuss the "corrupt" Bush Administration. The right will continue to harp on the fact that he was not charged with anything and the left's refusual to accept that. The left will not be happy because they feel a guilty man was unpunished...the right will not be happy because the main stream media will not make nearly as big a deal out of Rove being innocent as they did of him possibly being guilty.

bock2911 said:

A but what you read and what is TRUE sometimes conflict. Rove did not commit perjury. Otherwise he would not be in the administration right now. Unlike liberals, Conservatives are held to higher standards by themselves and by their enemies. Rove would not be in the white house if he committed perjury.

manu1959 said:
oj simpson commited perjury and he is free......mr clinton committed perjury and he is free.....hillary clinto committed perjury and she is free

Thats no argument to make. Just because they got away with it doesnt mean Rove should. Rove didnt committ perjury though. So there is no comparison.

Gem said:
There are a few simple reasons why this is going to play out in a way that is not going to make either side of the political spectrum happy...

1. It was common knowledge by those who worked in the right circles in the beltway that Valerie Plame was a CIA Agent who, IN THE PAST, had done undercover work. This information became common knowledge when it was discussed publically in 1994, I believe, during the Clinton years.

2. All of the comments from Rove that have emerged so far have been suitably explainable as a member of the Bush Administration explaining why they were unconcerned with Wilson's report. As of yet he has not said anything that looks like a deliberate attempt to take revenge on Wilson by outing his no-longer-covert wife. Bottom line with this one: According to the law as it exists now, Plame could not be "outed" because she already way "out."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23459

Not true. According to that memo, her status as an agent was classified with an 'S' for secret.

Max Power said:
Maybe it's really a number 5 and everyone's a little illiterate.
highly possible in this day and age----I mean there are still people out there who think islamic terror will end if the US recalls all it's troops. Can you believe that?

Max Power said:
Maybe it's really a number 5 and everyone's a little illiterate.

Or trying to be too literate. She hasn't been undercover WAY past the usual allotted time to rate that little "S." She drives to and from CIA Hqtrs everyday, and sits behind a desk there everyday.

But of course no way anyone could figure anything out from THAT. :cuckoo:

GunnyL said:
Or trying to be too literate. She hasn't been undercover WAY past the usual allotted time to rate that little "S." She drives to and from CIA Hqtrs everyday, and sits behind a desk there everyday.

But of course no way anyone could figure anything out from THAT. :cuckoo:

Ummm, no.
Actually, she was working for Brewster Jennings & Associates, a front company for CIA operations, at LEAST as recently as 2000.

In fact, according to our good friend Rob Novak, "Wilson's wife, the CIA employee, gave $1,000 to Gore and she listed herself as an employee of Brewster-Jennings & Associates."

Outing Plame exposed the entire front company and every NOC who worked for it.

dilloduck said:
highly possible in this day and age----I mean there are still people out there who think islamic terror will end if the US recalls all it's troops. Can you believe that?

There are people who believe in things that are less likely.

Max Power said:
Ummm, no.
Actually, she was working for Brewster Jennings & Associates, a front company for CIA operations, at LEAST as recently as 2000.

In fact, according to our good friend Rob Novak, "Wilson's wife, the CIA employee, gave $1,000 to Gore and she listed herself as an employee of Brewster-Jennings & Associates."

Outing Plame exposed the entire front company and every NOC who worked for it.

I was in the Marine Corps as recently as 2000. The "undercover" tag is dropped after two years. That was three years ago.

GunnyL said:
I was in the Marine Corps as recently as 2000. The "undercover" tag is dropped after two years. That was three years ago.

Actually, according to a CIA memo, Plame's status was classified as secret as recently as July 10th 2003.

Perhaps she was not "working" for Brewster Jennings anymore, but that's irrelevant.

BTW, the undercover tag is not just "dropped" after two years. If you are working undercover outside of the US, your status as a covert agent remains for five years (according to the IIPA).

Max Power said:
Actually, according to a CIA memo, Plame's status was classified as secret as recently as July 10th 2003.

Perhaps she was not "working" for Brewster Jennings anymore, but that's irrelevant.

BTW, the undercover tag is not just "dropped" after two years. If you are working undercover outside of the US, your status as a covert agent remains for five years (according to the IIPA).

Of course. The facts are irrelevant. The fact is, she is and has been sitting behind a desk at CIA hqtrs, and was at the time her husband compromised her identity by lying to the media claiming someone in the executive branch appointed him.

Had it not been for THAT lie, nothing that followed would have taken place. And if I was Rove, I'd have disclaimed a Wilson too. He's little more than partisan hack with a wife who hooked him up with a job SHE, not he, is qualified for.

GunnyL said:
Of course. The facts are irrelevant. The fact is, she is and has been sitting behind a desk at CIA hqtrs, and was at the time her husband compromised her identity by lying to the media claiming someone in the executive branch appointed him.

Where is your evidence to substantiate this "fact?"

Had it not been for THAT lie, nothing that followed would have taken place.
Lying -- Not illegal.
Disclosing the identity of a covert agent -- illegal.

But I digress. It doesn't matter what Wilson did. If you want to crucify him, start another thread.

Forum List

Back