I predict unemployment will drop in the next BLS report

That's right I say unemployment will drop again. But is it a good thing?

This coming weekend around 80,000 people in Michigan are set to lose their jobless benefits, so the Michigan Unemployment Agency is offering extended hours to help people with questions.

Unemployment agency extending hours | michigan, agency, unemployment - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3

The number of new people applying have also been dropping... so, yeah, it probably will.

But the Household Survey will only count those who are looking. So it could potentially go up when people who had previously given up hop back into the market.

You know what a better indicator of what is going right in the individual Americans lives?

The consumer confidence number.

You see if a family has someone who stops looking for work and yet still sees improvement in their lives then dropping of the unemployment rolls could be a possitive thing in their lives huh?

When a family member decides they DONT have to work so that family can live a comfortable life then that isnt bad is it.

How do you sus that out?

Consumer confidence numbers.

How are those numbers doing now?

You didn't check them before you asked the question

The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index®, which had increased in December, retreated in January. The Index now stands at 61.1 (1985=100), down from 64.8 in December. The Present Situation Index declined to 38.4 from 46.5. The Expectations Index edged down to 76.2 from 77.0 in December.

Consumer Confidence Index® | The Conference Board

Last edited:

This coming weekend around 80,000 people in Michigan are set to lose their jobless benefits, so the Michigan Unemployment Agency is offering extended hours to help people with questions.

Unemployment agency extending hours | michigan, agency, unemployment - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3

The number of new people applying have also been dropping... so, yeah, it probably will.

But the Household Survey will only count those who are looking. So it could potentially go up when people who had previously given up hop back into the market.

and the number of jobs keeps dropping

Or the party in the white house taking credit for something they did not do when it shows up in a positive out come.

Yes, both sides. Which is why we simply can't believe partisans.

You're right partisanship is bad for the country and non partisanship is good.
Was the patriot act a good thing?
How about the NDAA 2012?

Not terribly fond of them, but I wouldn't protest in the streets over them. Defense and terrorism are complicated subjects.

What in the word does this have to do with the conversation?

How about the NDAA 2012?

Not terribly fond of them, but I wouldn't protest in the streets over them. Defense and terrorism are complicated subjects.

You did bring up the subject about being partisan. So you don't think those two pieces of legislation are not worth protesting over? I know this is America it could never become a dictatorship. No one like Stalin or Hitler could ever get control of this country. Legislation that tramples on rights is going down the road that brought Hitler and Stalin into power.

Last edited:
Mac......you have to realize.......you are dealing with an intellectual dynamo here. You have no hope of emerging from this discussion feeling as though your efforts have been rewarded.

How about the NDAA 2012?

You did bring up the subject about being partisan. So you don't think those two pieces of legislation are not worth protesting over? I know this is America it could never become a dictatorship. No one like Stalin or Hitler could ever get control of this country. Legislation that tramples on rights is going down the road that brought Hitler and Stalin into power.

Yikes, now we're bringing up Stalin and Hitler again. I may be wasting my time here.

I'm not big into screaming in the streets. Aside from the fact that it usually accomplishes nothing, I'm not interested in being associated with the psychos who also populate those events, and such associations are damn near inevitable in that situation.

I prefer to be active in local and state politics, behind the scenes, where much more is accomplished.

And, by the way, the Patriot Act and the NDAA are not necessarily partisan issues.

Yikes, now we're bringing up Stalin and Hitler again. I may be wasting my time here.

I'm not big into screaming in the streets. Aside from the fact that it usually accomplishes nothing, I'm not interested in being associated with the psychos who also populate those events, and such associations are damn near inevitable in that situation.

I prefer to be active in local and state politics, behind the scenes, where much more is accomplished.

And, by the way, the Patriot Act and the NDAA are not necessarily partisan issues.

You did bring up partisanship. Now you can't handle the rebuttal

With this comment I may be wasting my time here, it was partisanship that made those two pieces of legislation law.

How about the NDAA 2012?

Well, it's costing him a fortune in tin-foil!

You know what a better indicator of what is going right in the individual Americans lives?

You see if a family has someone who stops looking for work and yet still sees improvement in their lives then dropping of the unemployment rolls could be a possitive thing in their lives huh?

When a family member decides they DONT have to work so that family can live a comfortable life then that isnt bad is it.

How do you sus that out?

The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index®, which had increased in December, retreated in January. The Index now stands at 61.1 (1985=100), down from 64.8 in December. The Present Situation Index declined to 38.4 from 46.5. The Expectations Index edged down to 76.2 from 77.0 in December.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have never seen truth don't matter run away from a thread without posting more than one comment.

Alright, how many are they going to drop this time? we currently have approx 5 million people dropped.

How about the NDAA 2012?

Well, it's costing him a fortune in tin-foil!

Maybe you're the one wearing those foil hats, because your not getting all the information need to separate fact from fiction,

It is a fact U.S. Citizens can be detained with out trial or evidence
Fiction America will never be taken over by a dictator.

Alright, how many are they going to drop this time? we currently have approx 5 million people dropped.

Well that was just from one state Michigan and it will be 80,000

LEI for U.S. Increases Again | The Conference Board

Press Release / News

LEI for U.S. Increases Again

17 February, 2012
Please download related PDFs on the upper right corner of this page.
The Conference Board Leading Economic Index® (LEI) for the U.S. increased 0.4 percent in January to 94.9 (2004 = 100), following a 0.5 percent increase in December and a 0.3 percent increase in November.

Said Ataman Ozyildirim, economist at The Conference Board: “This fourth consecutive gain in the LEI reflected fairly widespread strength among its components, pointing to somewhat more positive economic conditions in early 2012. The LEI’s increase in January was led not only by improving financial and credit indicators, but also rising average workweek in manufacturing. These both offset consumers’ outlook about the economy, which remained pessimistic, though slightly less so. Meanwhile, the CEI rose again in January as employment, income, and sales data all point to improving current economic conditions despite a lack of contribution from industrial production.”

Last edited:

How do you sus that out?

Maybe I am wrong, but I have never seen truth don't matter run away from a thread without posting more than one comment.

so if I post in a thread and then leave to post in another thread its running away?

Can you tell me if you agree with me about the importance of the consumer confidence number?

LEI for U.S. Increases Again | The Conference Board

Press Release / News

LEI for U.S. Increases Again

17 February, 2012
Please download related PDFs on the upper right corner of this page.
The Conference Board Leading Economic Index® (LEI) for the U.S. increased 0.4 percent in January to 94.9 (2004 = 100), following a 0.5 percent increase in December and a 0.3 percent increase in November.

Said Ataman Ozyildirim, economist at The Conference Board: “This fourth consecutive gain in the LEI reflected fairly widespread strength among its components, pointing to somewhat more positive economic conditions in early 2012. The LEI’s increase in January was led not only by improving financial and credit indicators, but also rising average workweek in manufacturing. These both offset consumers’ outlook about the economy, which remained pessimistic, though slightly less so. Meanwhile, the CEI rose again in January as employment, income, and sales data all point to improving current economic conditions despite a lack of contribution from industrial production.”

So you move the goal post when you did not get the desired information you were looking for. You asked for Consumer confidence numbers.
I gave them

How do you sus that out?

so if I post in a thread and then leave to post in another thread its running away?

Can you tell me if you agree with me about the importance of the consumer confidence number?
Maybe that's what you did.

No we don't. And you have no actual data to back you up. You'll just cite some blog or opinion piece and not hard numbers. Well, if you try to back it up at all, but if you start to look and see that the Labor Force is larger now than pre-recession, you'll give up.

Forum List

Back