I need some serious advice!

I live in a 2 bedroom condo, with my daughter and myself, soon my mother is moving in so I can take care of her. Anyway...........last night I thought I heard a sound in one of the bedrooms, so I went and looked in the closets, bathroom...nothing there.

Then I got to thinking, what IF someone was in there? What would I have done? I have no weapons, I don't think I could use a gun if I had one. (Though I defend everyone's right to have one for protection)

Anyway, my question is, what is a good "weapon" or "protection device" for me to have in the house, that is NOT a gun? Thanks!
hairspray or industrual mase!

I also live in near proximity to my neighbors so a stray bullet could likely cause some innocent person some serious harm.

I would have much less of a problem using a a taser.

They make bullets that are loaded with tiny pellets, like a shotgun for first round defense. This will help with your issue of neighbors.

i210838sn02.jpg

Her posts are 2 lines.. On every post, her signature is practically an 8x10. If you don't find that annoying, feel free to keep your trap shut and not say anything about it.

My posts are rarely 2 lines. My mouth is bigger than that. :cool:

So it's my whole sig size to which you object, even the wording? Or is it the Obama picture's size? Or is it just me personally (in which case, wahhh)?

On my block there have been a series of break-ins lately. Most occur during the day when everyone is at work but my house and the house across the street are the only two who have not been broke into (knock on wood) and the only difference between our homes and the ones that have been broken into is we both have dogs. Hers' is a german sheppard and mine is a mutt that weighs about 50lbs and sounds like she weight 100lb through the door.

Echo, we also have a cat and the dog and cat get along fine. It took some adjusting but now they play like best friends.

Barring the dog I'd go for mace/pepper spray. The hammer you have to actually get close enough to hit them and the same with a knife or tazer gun.

Also reinforce your window and door locks.

I think that knowing I could kill or maim an intruder would make me hesitate to use the gun in a situation where it could be in my best interest to fire the gun in timely fashion.

I don't understand why you would feel that way. If someone broke into your house at night they obviously didn't drop in for tea. Why would you hesitate?
Because I'm not a cold blooded killer?

I would much prefer to temporarly disable someone than kill or permanently injure them.

People have shot members of their own family, neighbors walking into the wrong house by accident, etc mistaking them as intruders.

If the person is there to rob you they do not deserve to die. Even if someone was there to rape or murder, I'd still rather taser them and tie them up then let law enforcement and the justice system take over.

Last edited:
I also live in near proximity to my neighbors so a stray bullet could likely cause some innocent person some serious harm.

I would have much less of a problem using a a taser.

They make bullets that are loaded with tiny pellets, like a shotgun for first round defense. This will help with your issue of neighbors.

i210838sn02.jpg

These snake shot bullets are a good choice but a twenty gauge pump would be the most intimidating, the sound of it's slide coming from a dark bedroom should send any sane person out the door. If they stay they need to be shot, numerous times because they are probably rabid.

These snake shot bullets are a good choice but a twenty gauge pump would be the most intimidating, the sound of it's slide coming from a dark bedroom should send any sane person out the door. If they stay they need to be shot, numerous times because they are probably rabid.

Your quotes are mixed up in that post. You attribute my words to Fisty and someone else's to me.

Maybe cause I'm from Brooklyn..but I love me a good ol fashioned baseball bat.

That and I have 2 dogs.

Your quotes are mixed up in that post. You attribute my words to Fisty and someone else's to me.

I see that, I clicked the quote button under Duke's post, don't know what all of the other stuff is about.

Her posts are 2 lines.. On every post, her signature is practically an 8x10. If you don't find that annoying, feel free to keep your trap shut and not say anything about it.

My posts are rarely 2 lines. My mouth is bigger than that. :cool:

So it's my whole sig size to which you object, even the wording? Or is it the Obama picture's size? Or is it just me personally (in which case, wahhh)?

Again, your post is approx. 2 lines, and your sig is approx. the size of an 8x10. I don't know you from Adam, so how could I object to you personally? I don't often read sig lines of people I don't know from Adam, so how could I object to the wording?

It's hard to miss the photograph sitting atop another image, however. If you don't know how to shrink them down, I'd be happy to talk you through it, or even shrink it myself.

By the way, just to give you a visual. I have a 22" flat screen monitor, and your signature alone takes up the entire screen without allowing me to see another post until I scroll through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that knowing I could kill or maim an intruder would make me hesitate to use the gun in a situation where it could be in my best interest to fire the gun in timely fashion.

I don't understand why you would feel that way. If someone broke into your house at night they obviously didn't drop in for tea. Why would you hesitate?

I would much prefer to temporarly disable someone than kill or permanently injure them.

People have shot members of their own family, neighbors walking into the wrong house by accident, etc mistaking them as intruders.

If the person is there to rob you they do not deserve to die. Even if someone was there to rape or murder, I'd still rather taser them and tie them up then let law enforcement and the justice system take over.

It's not cold blooded if they have entered your home. They decided the rules of decency and society weren't going to be observed. I would prefer not to kill anyone too, but if it's between me and mine or some scumbag, family always wins. And if the scumbag dies, well... sorry, shouldn't have put the events into motion that lead to their demise. And if a neighbor mistakenly breaks a window and crawls through or jimmys my door then stalks through my house looking for stuff to steal or people to murder or rape then they just went into the scumbag category.

It's not cold blooded if they have entered your home. They decided the rules of decency and society weren't going to be observed. I would prefer not to kill anyone too, but if it's between me and mine or some scumbag, family always wins. And if the scumbag dies, well... sorry, shouldn't have put the events into motion that lead to their demise. And if a neighbor mistakenly breaks a window and crawls through or jimmys my door then stalks through my house looking for stuff to steal or people to murder or rape then they just went into the scumbag category.
So you would kill someone for stealing from you?

If someone comes in my house at 2 a.m., I'm not going to ask them what their intentions are. I'm going to assume the worst.

If you think you'd have time to figure their motives out, you're fooling yourself.

But, I don't want a gun in the house with my kids, so I have a dog. She's a 37-pound Staffie/Lab mix that looks enough like a pitbull to intimidate most poeple. Oh, and she barks like she's going to rip a new shithole in you.

It would depend on the circumstances, but it's not out of the question.

I'm home alone and an intruder is going room to room putting things in a bag. He gets to my bedroom, there's no where I can hide. He enters and sees me, grins and moves toward the bed... At this point he hasn't even technically stolen anything but you better believe I'd be attacking with the deadliest weapon I could find.

I think when someone has decided there are no rules and has entered your home you have every right to assume they have the worst intentions. All they have to do to not be killed is not enter my home, I don't think that's too much burden for them to bear.

But I'm not putting you down for your position. If you don't think you would shoot then you'd be better off without a gun cos it would just get taken away from you and used against you. I just don't understand why you would hesitate. Heck, if you or your child was being attacked I'd defend it the same as I would my own.

Maybe it's a country thing. I've shot and killed countless things. Some for food, some because they were a nuisance that we couldn't get rid of any other way. Never wanted to kill anything, I take no joy in it, but sometimes it's necessary. IMO.

amanda, i think you could be letting what man has determined as not being cold blooded murder that makes you think this way instead of God's word.

i had learned in a Bible study that An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.....a life for a life, was God's way of CURBING the Jews from OVER PUNISHING the guilty, as they were doing...

A life should ONLY be taken from the criminal, when he has taken a life....or was in the process of taking a life, thus in self defense you kill him, other wise....it is murder....setting aside war or just war.

MEN, or MAN have tried to change this, to meet their needs and their own rules, but those are not God's in my humble opinion.

So, if someone has broken in to your house to rob you, and has not tried to kill you, or is not armed or threatening you with your life, it would be murder for you to kill him, under God's rules, and those circumstances....REGARDLESS of whether the laws of your state permits you to do such...again, imo.

Our God is a merciful, forgiving and JUST God....this was the lesson of an eye for an eye....not an evil, mean, overbearing, over punishing God, but a just one.....

please ask your youth minister about this, i'd love to hear what he/she says!

amanda, i think you could be letting what man has determined as not being cold blooded murder that makes you think this way instead of God's word.

i had learned in a Bible study that An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.....a life for a life, was God's way of CURBING the Jews from OVER PUNISHING the guilty, as they were doing...

A life should ONLY be taken from the criminal, when he has taken a life....or was in the process of taking a life, thus in self defense you kill him, other wise....it is murder....setting aside war or just war.

MEN, or MAN have tried to change this, to meet their needs and their own rules, but those are not God's in my humble opinion.

So, if someone has broken in to your house to rob you, and has not tried to kill you, or is not armed or threatening you with your life, it would be murder for you to kill him, under God's rules, and those circumstances....REGARDLESS of whether the laws of your state permits you to do such...again, imo.

Our God is a merciful, forgiving and JUST God....this was the lesson of an eye for an eye....not an evil, mean, overbearing, over punishing God, but a just one.....

please ask your youth minister about this, i'd love to hear what he/she says!

You point the gun at the asshole's head and say "dont move" while you call the police.

Amanda, you have your head on straight

Don't let anyone sway your veiw on this subject :cool:

If you're looking for a really good weapon, that has decent reach, is quick to use, and is not a gun or a knife, I have 2 really good suggestions.

1) An AN-PDR-25 nightstick. It's the one that has a short handle sticking out of the side of it. Not only are they pretty easy to get the hang of, there are also some really great techniques that you can use to disable or kill the person coming in. Oh yeah.....most of them have a lead core in the center, so they've also got some really good weight. Doesn't take much to leave bruises either. Matter of fact, it's pretty easy to break bones with them. And, because they can be whipped around quickly (as well as can be used to shield your forearm), they're very hard to grab onto if you're on the wrong end.

2) A Bo Staff. Granted, it takes a bit more time to get proficient with, but, while learning how to swing one, you get great exercise. Kinda limited use in small places though.

And.......if you're interested.......get a practice Katana. Basically, all they really are is a curved stick that looks like a Samurai sword. Run screaming at someone with that in your hands, generally you'll end up scaring the crap out of 'em, giving you about 5 seconds to beat them about the head and shoulders.

If you're looking for a really good weapon, that has decent reach, is quick to use, and is not a gun or a knife, I have 2 really good suggestions.

1) An AN-PDR-25 nightstick. It's the one that has a short handle sticking out of the side of it. Not only are they pretty easy to get the hang of, there are also some really great techniques that you can use to disable or kill the person coming in. Oh yeah.....most of them have a lead core in the center, so they've also got some really good weight. Doesn't take much to leave bruises either. Matter of fact, it's pretty easy to break bones with them. And, because they can be whipped around quickly (as well as can be used to shield your forearm), they're very hard to grab onto if you're on the wrong end.

2) A Bo Staff. Granted, it takes a bit more time to get proficient with, but, while learning how to swing one, you get great exercise. Kinda limited use in small places though.

And.......if you're interested.......get a practice Katana. Basically, all they really are is a curved stick that looks like a Samurai sword. Run screaming at someone with that in your hands, generally you'll end up scaring the crap out of 'em, giving you about 5 seconds to beat them about the head and shoulders.
Sounds like you have watched too many Kung Fu movies!!! :lol:

Sounds like you have watched too many Kung Fu movies!!! :lol:

Actually, I've studied martial arts since my first tour in the Navy, as well as have been trained by various people for hand to hand while in the military and the security force for the base.

But.....I wouldn't expect a coward like yourself to know anything about self defense Sunnidiot.

Forum List

Back