I need some serious advice!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I live in a 2 bedroom condo, with my daughter and myself, soon my mother is moving in so I can take care of her. Anyway...........last night I thought I heard a sound in one of the bedrooms, so I went and looked in the closets, bathroom...nothing there.

Then I got to thinking, what IF someone was in there? What would I have done? I have no weapons, I don't think I could use a gun if I had one. (Though I defend everyone's right to have one for protection)

Anyway, my question is, what is a good "weapon" or "protection device" for me to have in the house, that is NOT a gun? Thanks!

Your fiance?

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Thanks for the laugh! He lives 30 minutes south of me, and we go to his house on Saturdays. (tho right now I'm mad at him,,,so that's why I was home last night) :evil:

He has as many weapons as I do! Some steak knives and a teenager! :lol:

I would love a dog, we have 2 cats as it is. I guess the 21 year old cat is scary looking enough to frighten off a "bad guy." :lol:

If only I could find a dog who knows how to use pepper spray!

Get a dog that will use a gun. :tongue:

If you get a dog pick something that looks tough but is really a sweetheart like a Boxer.

I'm just curious, why wouldn't you use a gun on an intruder that is there to harm your family? I just can't imagine that. I'd go all kinds of mama bear on an intruder to protect my family. I'd use a gun or whatever was handy, be it scissors, a steak knife, whatever.

Mace, dogs are better defenders than most cats, baseball bat not a bad idea, you could also get a tazer.

I live in a 2 bedroom condo, with my daughter and myself, soon my mother is moving in so I can take care of her. Anyway...........last night I thought I heard a sound in one of the bedrooms, so I went and looked in the closets, bathroom...nothing there.

Then I got to thinking, what IF someone was in there? What would I have done? I have no weapons, I don't think I could use a gun if I had one. (Though I defend everyone's right to have one for protection)

Anyway, my question is, what is a good "weapon" or "protection device" for me to have in the house, that is NOT a gun? Thanks!

Tazer, pepper spray AND the hammer.

The gun would be the best idea. WHAT IF someone was in there? You'd be a victim. Worse, so would your daughter.

Get self-defense training, mace and a taser. A gun would probably get you killed.

Not a bad idea, probably can get the sd training through park district and would be good workout. I disagree with xsited regaring weapons, but would go for path of least resistance.

Echo, I somewhat agree with the suggestion of getting a dog. I've read a few things that suggest that a dog is the most effective deterrent to house breakers. But you have to consider it will also be a pet and will require care and exercise. Also, you don't want to encourage a dog to be aggressive to other people and that somewhat diminishes it's usefulness as a guard dog.
I'd say get a dog primarily if you want a pet. It's an added benefit if it's presence makes burglars, etc avoid you and your home.
You could also just post some beware the dog signs in your yard. ;)

Good points above about a dog. Barring/with that, yes, a tazer, pepper spray, self-defense classes, sturdy locks.

And I can send you one of these:

bs41.jpg

Guarandamnteed to scare the pi$$ out of people.

Some would say a gun, but not always the case. For me I keep I mine locked away in the basement in safe in the ceiling and then it has a gun lock, since I am more afraid of my son getting it than protection. Therefore if there was an intruder in my house, it wouldn't help. What I have is mag line and a small aluminum bat (like a tee-ball bad), but then again I am not a tiny guy.

In your case I would say a taser gun and mag light. The taser to temporary knock him down (and if you accidentally get your daughter or mother, then they won't be hurt just very mad at you) and then use the mag light to clock him/her over the head. Also use the mag light to see!

Good points above about a dog. Barring/with that, yes, a tazer, pepper spray, self-defense classes, sturdy locks.

And I can send you one of these:

bs41.jpg

Guarandamnteed to scare the pi$$ out of people.

You don't find your signature just a little over the top, and slightly obnoxious, since practically everyone else on the board has the decency to keep theirs somewhat reasonable, so as not to clutter the crap out of things?

Forum List

Back