“I’ll go to jail” – Florida Veteran told to remove military flags from restaurant pro

Why not just apply for the permit and avoid all the drama? I doubt it's all that hard.

You would think as a vet, he would be used to following protocol. Ironically, if he went to jail long enough, he would lose all of his vet benefits.

Typically, you have no idea what you are talking about. The VA actually does outreach to vets in prison.

I am a 20 year vet and I know about outreach to vets, but you lose your benifits if you are in long enough.

Child.

"Liberal" or not liberal is NOT the issue.

The issue is why the FUCK should ANY city demand that any proprietor of any business apply for "permit" to fly the colors of any of our services? If he wanted to fly a banner for Pepsi, I can see how that might come within the parameters of regulation of commercial activity.

But he's not advertising or recruiting for any of the armed services. He is HONORING those who have served. And if that's not free speech, then what exactly IS free speech?

We are a nation of laws. I also think this is a stupid law. We don't have to like the laws....but we do sort of have to obey them.

This dude will probably get his way in the end. These things have a way of working themselves out.

Actually, just to be clear, none of us has to obey (sort of or otherwise) an UnConstitutional law. An UnConstitutional "law" is no law at all.

I bet Zimmerman said the same thing. McVeigh as well.

The issue is why the FUCK should ANY city demand that any proprietor of any business apply for "permit" to fly the colors of any of our services? If he wanted to fly a banner for Pepsi, I can see how that might come within the parameters of regulation of commercial activity.

But he's not advertising or recruiting for any of the armed services. He is HONORING those who have served. And if that's not free speech, then what exactly IS free speech?

We are a nation of laws. I also think this is a stupid law. We don't have to like the laws....but we do sort of have to obey them.

This dude will probably get his way in the end. These things have a way of working themselves out.

We have to obey laws? Does that mean that Rosa Parks was wrong when she refused to move to the back of the bus? Or does you nation of laws schtick only apply when you like the law?

Watch out! The intellectual powerhouse has issued a brainstorm! Rosa Parks.

Parks was arrested......you imbecile.

"sort of?" in this case, the law needs changing, how do you go about changing the law? I've already volunteered to pay one days worth of his fine...what the heck, I'll gamble less when we go to Vegas in Jun. If I were in that city, I'd be doing my shopping outside the city until they change the law, and I'd be vocal about that.

We have to obey laws? Does that mean that Rosa Parks was wrong when she refused to move to the back of the bus? Or does you nation of laws schtick only apply when you like the law?

Your seriously comparing this to rosa parks? Your comparing this to the government, the entire government oppressing an entire race of people to this?

If this is the case, you can compare rosa parks to every law you dont like.

Fuck you.

First off, I was talking to the idiot LoneLaugher, not you.

Second, I did not equate him to Rosa Parks, I pointed out that, according to the guy you are defending, Rosa should have moved to the back of the bus because that is what the law says. If you have a problem with that, take it up with him, not me.

Third, fuck off, asswipe.

You would think as a vet, he would be used to following protocol. Ironically, if he went to jail long enough, he would lose all of his vet benefits.

Typically, you have no idea what you are talking about. The VA actually does outreach to vets in prison.

I am a 20 year vet and I know about outreach to vets, but you lose your benifits if you are in long enough.

Child.

You don't lose your benefits, they suspend some, but not all, of them while you are incarcerated.

"sort of?" in this case, the law needs changing, how do you go about changing the law? I've already volunteered to pay one days worth of his fine...what the heck, I'll gamble less when we go to Vegas in Jun. If I were in that city, I'd be doing my shopping outside the city until they change the law, and I'd be vocal about that.

Sort of.....no meaning. Just a manner of speaking.

Good for you! get the law changed. It is a stupid law......isn't it? You and I are in complete agreement.

Did I say she wasn't, genius? I said that, according to you, she was wrong.

Did I say she wasn't, genius? I said that, according to you, she was wrong.

Asshole....I think the dude with the flags is right....as was Parks. But they both broke laws. They both face penalties. You are borderline retarded.

If it is even a true story or not some grossly slanted version of "the truth".

I'd like to know what the law really says and what the city has actually done about this as well as what they decide in their meeting "in two weeks".

Something tells me there is more to this story than has been presented.

Immie

Everytime an issue comes up in regards to the displaying of the American flag, it always ends up bad for whoever's doing the targetting. One would think these idiots would've learned that by now.

I'd like to know what the law really says and what the city has actually done about this as well as what they decide in their meeting "in two weeks".

Immie

I am slightly interested in learning what prompted the passing of the ordinance in the first place.

Immie

I am slightly interested in learning what prompted the passing of the ordinance in the first place.

Me too, although I think (without going back to read it) the article gave a hint when it said something about the law targetting waving banners. St. Petersburg, FL has been discussing banning a form of advertising we have around here where people stand on the side of the street holding advertising signs, they usually are dancing around in a distracting way, come to think of it they banned the really distracting women in T-backs at hot dog stands probably ten years ago. My guess is this has something to do with that kind of a problem in Holly Hill.

It would be interesting to know where this gentleman places his flags. Out by the street or near the door of his establishment and how close to the street these flags fly. If they are distracting drivers then there may be a valid reason for the controversy.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back