I lack understanding

To live up to the meaning of the prize
Obama said he considers it a challenge to do so. There's nothing wrong with that.

Look, everyone aspires to world peace. Wishes it could be so. Most understand it's a pipe dream. Simply because we understand the predatory nature of the human. We see very little grey area between good and evil.

Peacenicks see a massive grey area between good and evil. It's all relative to them. They really don't care what the cost of their version of peace is, so long as it somehow happens.

Peace is "the absence of opposition" and by that strict definition, most everyone knows that's impossible.

But it is a hope, a wish, something to aspire to. And there's nothing wrong with it.

yes---that's why they give out the Cy Young Award at the beginning of the year :rolleyes:
I invented a new fruit for people like you. It's called the Orpple. It's a cross between an orange and an apple, with a pit of kool-aid in the center. It's for people who insist upon comparing apples to oranges.

Enjoy.

he should have turned it down
This is somewhat valid. He could have made a speech about "please, the Nobel shouldn't stand for politics" or whatever, and implored the committee to please give the award to someone "deserving."

But really, how do you snub Nobel? Not even Barack could pull that off and come across looking good, IMO. What he did say was impressive, humble and positive.

yes he could have....give it to the guy that has built schools and actually accomplished peace and has given his life over to it.....obama would have been a fricken hero for that.....

Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan — a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.

Obama's Nobel: The Last Thing He Needs - TIME
Again, that's a valid argument. But really, could Obama even have pulled that off? As in, not just rhetorically but politically and even, within himself, capable of doing that?

Questions to ponder.

Obama said he considers it a challenge to do so. There's nothing wrong with that.

Look, everyone aspires to world peace. Wishes it could be so. Most understand it's a pipe dream. Simply because we understand the predatory nature of the human. We see very little grey area between good and evil.

Peacenicks see a massive grey area between good and evil. It's all relative to them. They really don't care what the cost of their version of peace is, so long as it somehow happens.

Peace is "the absence of opposition" and by that strict definition, most everyone knows that's impossible.

But it is a hope, a wish, something to aspire to. And there's nothing wrong with it.

yes---that's why they give out the Cy Young Award at the beginning of the year :rolleyes:
I invented a new fruit for people like you. It's called the Orpple. It's a cross between an orange and an apple, with a pit of kool-aid in the center. It's for people who insist upon comparing apples to oranges.

Enjoy.

too bad---we gave out the comedian of the year award to a mute midget who had dreams of thinking up a good joke.

Enjoy.

too bad---we gave out the comedian of the year award to a mute midget who had dreams of thinking up a good joke.
Problem is, I am not joking.

Did you read the reason the committee gave for awarding Obama? It was on what they say he's already accomplished. We can disagree with them all day long, but there it is.

No one's yet shown me how this hurts us. No one's shown me how it costs us anything. No one's even shown me how it's really in any way important. And no one's shown me why the POTUS can't have a good day once in awhile.

Enjoy.

Did you read the reason the committee gave for awarding Obama? It was on what they say he's already accomplished. We can disagree with them all day long, but there it is.

No one's yet shown me how this hurts us. No one's shown me how it costs us anything. No one's even shown me how it's really in any way important. And no one's shown me why the POTUS can't have a good day once in awhile.

holy shit--now it's all about Obama having a good day once in awhile------I so need a tissue

This is somewhat valid. He could have made a speech about "please, the Nobel shouldn't stand for politics" or whatever, and implored the committee to please give the award to someone "deserving."

But really, how do you snub Nobel? Not even Barack could pull that off and come across looking good, IMO. What he did say was impressive, humble and positive.

yes he could have....give it to the guy that has built schools and actually accomplished peace and has given his life over to it.....obama would have been a fricken hero for that.....

Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan — a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.

Again, that's a valid argument. But really, could Obama even have pulled that off? As in, not just rhetorically but politically and even, within himself, capable of doing that?

Questions to ponder.

ok....what would be the political fall out of obama turning it down and say....giving it to the guy mentioned in the time article? as if there as been no political fall out from accepting it.....

Questions to ponder.

ok....what would be the political fall out of obama turning it down and say....giving it to the guy mentioned in the time article? as if there as been no political fall out from accepting it.....
First of all the question is open in my mind if he would even be capable of that. As I just got through saying. Would his ego allow it?

Secondly, the risk of insulting these people no matter how slick you are would be problematic. And yes, you're right -- what does it matter if our President insults them. But that's beside the point.

Clearly some folks on the far-left like Dr. Hill agree with you completely. Some others on the far-left don't. So I go back to what I also said earlier, it's not Obama's fault they foisted this on him.

And he did okay with it. He didn't gloat, he didn't meander on about how he did this or that to deserve it. He didn't give us any anecdotal bullshit or make idiotic comparisons. He came across as humbled and maybe even a little bit embarrassed.

As well he should be IMO.

holy shit--now it's all about Obama having a good day once in awhile------I so need a tissue
Please go back and read the OP, then ask yourself why you are so butthurt over this deal.

Because it's really not worth all this angst.

I think it belittles the meaning of the award for past and future recipients.
Fair enough statement, but why do we give a shit? It's not like it's ours, not like it's the Lombardi Trophy or anything.[/QUOTE]

I care because it's a matter of right and wrong. Justice and injustice. It's just not right.

I see many people who deserve things that dont get them, and many people who get things that don't deserve things. This award, the ideal it stands for, ought to have a standard to ensure people actually deserve it.

I can because injustice and corruption win when good men say and do nothing to stop it. And I am tired of injustice. I am tired of corruption. Even in this small area.

I care because it's a matter of right and wrong. Justice and injustice. It's just not right.

I see many people who deserve things that dont get them, and many people who get things that don't deserve things. This award, the ideal it stands for, ought to have a standard to ensure people actually deserve it.

I can because injustice and corruption win when good men say and do nothing to stop it. And I am tired of injustice. I am tired of corruption. Even in this small area.
It wasn't OUR corruption. Maybe some harm was done to the Nobel. One could make that argument and many do. But not to us.

And I removed your quote of me because it was mis-attributed. Please fix it?

Last edited:
I don't blame Obama for winning the award...I'm quite embarrassed for him.

This is not what he needs right now.

I can go with that argument too. In the midst of trying to decide whether to send in 40,000 more troops to the Afghan theater. I wonder if this will affect his decision on that now?

I can go with that argument too. In the midst of trying to decide whether to send in 40,000 more troops to the Afghan theater. I wonder if this will affect his decision on that now?
I hope it gives him a pair to actually do something.

I'd say this takes the "Send More Troops" option off the table, considering how NATO is against the war. I'll bet we'll be out of Afghanistan by 2011.

As I've said before, I am glad he's at least not making a hasty decision.

And it might surprise you what my stance on this is as well.

Questions to ponder.

First of all the question is open in my mind if he would even be capable of that. As I just got through saying. Would his ego allow it?

Secondly, the risk of insulting these people no matter how slick you are would be problematic. And yes, you're right -- what does it matter if our President insults them. But that's beside the point.

Clearly some folks on the far-left like Dr. Hill agree with you completely. Some others on the far-left don't. So I go back to what I also said earlier, it's not Obama's fault they foisted this on him.

And he did okay with it. He didn't gloat, he didn't meander on about how he did this or that to deserve it. He didn't give us any anecdotal bullshit or make idiotic comparisons. He came across as humbled and maybe even a little bit embarrassed.

As well he should be IMO.

fair point about him getting the award foisted on him....yet, as i said....he could have easily turned it down and given it to the guy that TIME wrote about....

he would have been a hero, now....he is a fool and the award is now even more foolish than it was before

As I've said before, I am glad he's at least not making a hasty decision.

And it might surprise you what my stance on this is as well.
Hasty is one thing, but decisiveness is another. The latter is called for in war. Over six weeks? It's not as if he all of a sudden realized that there was a war and it was under-resourced. It's not as if he all of a sudden learned that the insurgency is at an acute point. The point on the timeline associated with hasty is long past.

I'd say this takes the "Send More Troops" option off the table, considering how NATO is against the war. I'll bet we'll be out of Afghanistan by 2011.
I'd like to see that.

I believe we should make 5000 or so more drones, and just bomb and surgically missileize, shrapnelize, kill these pukes, 24/7/365 for years, from our comfortable consoles in Denver. Keeping just the drone support personnel and security for them, and some elite special ops forces in Afghanistan and bring the grunts and their support system home.

I actually said that several days ago, before this idea found its way onto the news.

I want some bang for the buck. They should run it like a business, keeping the cost per dead puke as low as possible. And keeping in mind these subhumans aren't worth a single one of our service members' lives.

Of why anyone is upset over President Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace prize. It changes nothing, costs us nothing, and hurts.... Nothing.

Is IS a good day to be Barack though, which is damn fine with me. How many good days that start off with good news do you think a POTUS ever sees? Not many.

Anyone here want his job? I didn't think so.

Our President has been honored. It's a good day for him and a good day for the country.

If Obama walked on water, FoxNews would say, "Obama can't swim!!!"

The way things are going, it looks like Karzai will be our local friendly dictator supported by US SpecOps, much like old Saddam and Iraq.

*sigh*

The more things change...

Forum List

Back