I lack understanding

Feb 28, 2009
Of why anyone is upset over President Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace prize. It changes nothing, costs us nothing, and hurts.... Nothing.

Is IS a good day to be Barack though, which is damn fine with me. How many good days that start off with good news do you think a POTUS ever sees? Not many.

Anyone here want his job? I didn't think so.

Our President has been honored. It's a good day for him and a good day for the country.

A lot of it is that many people see the prize as something which meant something.
It shouldn't make a damn if it means something or not. It's just an honor, costs us nothing, changes nothing, hurts us not at all.

I fail to understand the problem and why people are making a big deal out of it. Who was hurt? No one.

I think it belittles the meaning of the award for past and future recipients.

A lot of it is that many people see the prize as something which meant something.
It shouldn't make a damn if it means something or not. It's just an honor, costs us nothing, changes nothing, hurts us not at all.

I fail to understand the problem and why people are making a big deal out of it. Who was hurt? No one.

I feel this is the most level-headed post on this topic that I've seen on these boards so far, including my own posts about it. Thank you.

I disagree. There were far more deserving nominees who could use that award money for their own causes and use the elan of such an award to garner support. They were hurt.

• Banned

Fair enough statement, but why do we give a shit? It's not like it's ours, not like it's the Lombardi Trophy or anything.

Of why anyone is upset over President Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace prize. It changes nothing, costs us nothing, and hurts.... Nothing.

Is IS a good day to be Barack though, which is damn fine with me. How many good days that start off with good news do you think a POTUS ever sees? Not many.

Anyone here want his job? I didn't think so.

Our President has been honored. It's a good day for him and a good day for the country.

i'm with you MM

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/90885-nobel-peace-prize-does-it-really-matter.html

I disagree. There were far more deserving nominees who could use that award money for their own causes and use the elan of such an award to garner support. They were hurt.

Well, thankfully for them, they'll never know it.

But this really boils down the entire point - you're calling foul simply because you don't agree. That's nice, but its not up to you - its up to the Nobel committee.

Fair enough statement, but why do we give a shit? It's not like it's ours, not like it's the Lombardi Trophy or anything.

Because it wouldn't be politics if people weren't bashing one another over stupid meaningless shit. Republicans don't want Obama to gain any momentum over this, so they attack the fact he's getting the award and some of the past recipients.

I haven't seen the list of "deserving nominees" but I have seen where the President said the money is going for charity.

Can't we just say, "cool" and go on? Why all the angst?

Because it wouldn't be politics if people weren't bashing one another over stupid meaningless shit. Republicans don't want Obama to gain any momentum over this, so they attack the fact he's getting the award and some of the past recipients.
I fail to see how gaining the NPP gives anyone any "momentum" but that's just me. Hence the thread title I guess.

I haven't seen the list of "deserving nominees" but I have seen where the President said the money is going for charity.

I am sure he will give it up for charity.

Here are some whom BHO beat out: Who were the nominees?

Here some more

Not that being a Chinese dissident doesn't suck, but I bet it sucks more to be one today.

Last edited:

Good for you, that's your opinion. However, you shouldn't be trying to speak for all past or future recipients.

That's right, my opinion is that if you reward somebody for doing nothing, you diminish the true value of what the reward represents.
Lets give out the Superbowl Trophy to the Detroit Lions right now, and let them earn it later.

Last edited:

I am sure he will give it up for charity.

Here are some whom BHO beat out: Who were the nominees?

Here some more

Not that being a Chinese dissident doesn't suck, but I bet it sucks more today.
No one was actually "hurt" they just lost. It happens. We lost the Olympic bid. No biggie there either.

How can anyone take an award that was given to Arafat seriously?

My point proven. My question is how can anyone put so much merit into a award created by the inventor of Dynamite who did so to save his legacy. :eusa_eh:

As for the momentum, I'm not the one running politics down there MM, it's just how they see it.

I fail to see how gaining the NPP gives anyone any "momentum" but that's just me. Hence the thread title I guess.
It won't, at least in foreign affairs. International media outlets are not all that pleased.

Good for you, that's your opinion. However, you shouldn't be trying to speak for all past or future recipients.

That's right, my opinion is that if you reward somebody for doing nothing, you diminish the true value of what the reward represents.
Lefts give out the Superbowl Trophy the Detroit Lions right now, and let them earn it later.
That would be a different deal. Don't be fucking with the Lombardi.

Forum List

Back