I hope to be on welfare soon?

I have lost my job and hope to be on welfare soon.

I have constantly been employed, 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, since 1973. I've sent out resumes every day and my un-employment insurance is running out. I've applied for every kind of job imaginable. I've even applied for "general labor" jobs and have gotten no responses.

I've had no choice but to apply for welfare if I don't want to be living in the streets.

Now my question is, how can anyone consider I am a bum?

Don't worry about what other people think, do what you can, when you can, and make the best of it.

I have constantly been employed, 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, since 1973. I've sent out resumes every day and my un-employment insurance is running out. I've applied for every kind of job imaginable. I've even applied for "general labor" jobs and have gotten no responses.

I've had no choice but to apply for welfare if I don't want to be living in the streets.

If what you're saying is true, it would seem you're exactly the kind of case the program was designed for.
Your question assumes that those who are fed up with the incessant stream of federal handouts the past few years would rather see people like you living in alleys and eating out of trash cans.
Believe it or not, that assumption is false.

If what you're saying is true, it would seem you're exactly the kind of case the program was designed for.
Your question assumes that those who are fed up with the incessant stream of federal handouts the past few years would rather see people like you living in alleys and eating out of trash cans.
Actually, that is pretty close to the point of the whole thread, which is basically asking the question, "What is really the state of our economy, when people like myself are forced to go on welfare?"

I've worked all my life and it really feels wierd not having a job. I feel like a fish out of water.

I know how you feel. You send off those resumes and no one calls you back or takes the time to send you out a rejection letter. No wonder employers complain about not being able to find workers - they treat potential employees like dirt!
That said, I wish you luck. You will get a job eventually, just work at it.

I would consider you a bum after you decided that you no longer should have to even try. That welfare is somehow owed to you and that you should get whatever help you deem necessary until you die without ever having to look for another job.

The bum is not the person on welfare, the bum is the person that gets on welfare and decided to never become employed again. The bum is the one that tells me I need to get another job to pay more taxes because they should not be subject to any reforms. From your OP, you are not a bum (yet ;) )
If welfare is the only way I can survive from day to day, then I will accept it as long as legally possible.

The moment I am offered a job, I will be taking that over welfare.

What if the job pays significantly less than welfare?

What is/was your line of work?
Electrical engineering.

I feel your pain. Many companies like to hire recent college graduates to do the same work for less pay. They also like to bring in engineers from India or Asia on H1-B visas. If you are over 50, prospects aren't real good. You could try getting work as a contractor or consultant. That way, companies don't have to give you benefits. Temp agencies such as Volt or Compucom also have work for Engineers and Techs. Anyway, best of luck to you in finding something soon.

Ypu speak of WELFARE as though it was going to be able to keep your afloat.

Assuming that you have been working your whole life and have the current expenses that would normally be associated with a working class person, there is NO WAY IN HELL that general assistance is going to keep you going once your savings are depleted.

I don't know where you live but I doubt you'll be making 1/5th of what you made working as an EE.

It's been exactly a month for me, and I still haven't received my first UE check.
Talked to case worker today, should be retro'd in my acct next week.

Had an interview today.
I think we're too old and, therefore, considered too expensive

I just got hired after 14 months of looking.

Don't give up..take classes..expand your skill set.

Congrats
:clap2:

Actually, that is pretty close to the point of the whole thread, which is basically asking the question, "What is really the state of our economy, when people like myself are forced to go on welfare?"

I've worked all my life and it really feels wierd not having a job. I feel like a fish out of water.

There's no question as to the state of our economy, IT SUCKS!!! And when things suck productive members of society are often forced into uncomfortable positions.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Accept the assistance, understand that you'll never see the level of success you've enjoyed in the past while on assistance and God willing, you'll find a strong, secure employer that offers you the opportunity to work your way back up.

My employer has announced their plans to close as well and I've been shocked to find that any jobs that are out there in the field I'm currently in are paying about what my newly hired welders were earning nearly a decade ago.

Unfortunately, while wages seem to be in a downward spiral, my bills keep going up.

Last edited:
Any person who calls you a 'bum' labors under a false impression.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68LAbJtd4uk]Circle Jerks - When The Shit Hits The Fan (Repo Man) - YouTube[/ame]

in a sluggish economy
inflation,recession
hits the land of the free
standing in unemployment lines
blame the government for hard time

we just get by
however we can
we all gotta duck
when the shit hits the fan

10 kids in a cadillac
stand in lines for welfare checks
let's all leach off the state
gee!the money's really great!

soup lines
free loaves of bread
5lb blocks of cheese
bags of groceries
social security
has run out on you and me
we do whatever we can
gotta duck when the shit hits the fan

With your knowledge and background, can you apply for work as an electrician? Get a small business loan and begin your own business?

Have you used recruiters?

Last edited:
Among the jobs my husband took to 'slow the burn' (through our savings as we couldn't sell the house) were:

Substitute teaching (in MA, any Ba or BS will quailfy you - no Ed credits required)

Private 'school bus' driver (transporting 'special needs' kids up to an hour away for appropriate education)

We knew a former VP of Marketing for HP who took on about 4 newspaper routes......

The husband also had a standing offer to be 'night manager' at a 'quick stop' gas station just down the street.

I agree with the other posters that working as an electrician is probably your best bet.....

When the husband was laid off the first time, it was a huge shock even though being in computer programming we'd seen it going on a lot. He had always worked since that first paper route when he was 10..... It was demoralizing, to say the least.

After I got past the initial TERROR - I called up each of our friends who'd ever been laid off, and tearfully apologized to them for not having realized how terrible it was.

I think people don't realize how bad it is to be laid off after 40 because it is so terrifying. Some things a person just can't bear to think about.....

We've seen friends with their Masters degrees working collecting carts in Wal-Mart's parking lot. And one who lived on ramen noodles in a cheap motel in Jersey, working on contract to keep up payments on the house in New Hampshire.

You are not a bum. You paid your dues and I am glad to pay my taxes to help you out until you get back on your feet.

Take care.

I know how you feel. You send off those resumes and no one calls you back or takes the time to send you out a rejection letter. No wonder employers complain about not being able to find workers - they treat potential employees like dirt!
That said, I wish you luck. You will get a job eventually, just work at it.

They can hide behind a software firewall/electronic application process now too so that they can say it's out of their hands to a great degree. They are basically avoiding human contact until the last moment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back