I hesitate to suggest anything positive has come out of the attack by Hamas on Israel but......

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
...this is a positive for the future of peace.

Poll Shows Catastrophic Drop Off in Support for Netanyahu

One issue we’ve discussed since Saturday’s attacks is what effect the Hamas attacks and subsequent Israel-Hamas war would have on public opinion in Israel. Specifically, would there be a rally round the flag boost for the government of Benjamin Netanyahu? As I’ve tried to argue, it was not at all clear this would be the case. There’s been a great deal of anecdotal and reported evidence to the contrary. If you watch Israeli media there’s clearly been a vast upsurge of social solidarity and support for retaliation against Hamas (that civilians in Gaza will pay a heavy price for). But there’s been very, very little evidence of any surge in support for Netanyahu or his government. Indeed, we see signs of a volcanic anger against his government over its responsibility for the events of last weekend. There have been a number of viral videos of members of the coalition heckled in public or shouted down or forced to leave events in response to public anger.

Now we have one of the first polls and it appears to confirm all of that, a vast sea of public anger and catastrophic loss of support for Netanyahu’s government.

One issue we’ve discussed since Saturday’s attacks is what effect the Hamas attacks and subsequent Israel-Hamas war would have on public opinion in Israel. Specifically, would there be a rally round the flag boost for the government of Benjamin Netanyahu? As I’ve tried to argue, it was not at all clear this would be the case. There’s been a great deal of anecdotal and reported evidence to the contrary. If you watch Israeli media there’s clearly been a vast upsurge of social solidarity and support for retaliation against Hamas (that civilians in Gaza will pay a heavy price for). But there’s been very, very little evidence of any surge in support for Netanyahu or his government. Indeed, we see signs of a volcanic anger against his government over its responsibility for the events of last weekend. There have been a number of viral videos of members of the coalition heckled in public or shouted down or forced to leave events in response to public anger.

Now we have one of the first polls and it appears to confirm all of that, a vast sea of public anger and catastrophic loss of support for Netanyahu’s government.

That doesn't mean their support will go to a Munich style "peace at any price" soft lefty.

This is not the time.

ALL Israelis, including many Christians, Muslims, Druze, Ba-hai and Beddouins, are for the government to do what it must to protect the country and its population.

Let us all wait for the end of this war and then the Israelis will decide what THEY are going to do.

This is not the time.

ALL Israelis, including many Christians, Muslims, Druze, Ba-hai and Beddouins, are for the government to do what it must to protect the country and its population.

Let us all wait for the end of this war and then the Israelis will decide what THEY are going to do.
The reality is that it happened on his watch and they have every right to be angry, however, the nation is at war and when Israel is under attack they come together. The politics can wait until Hamas has been totally deracinated from every part of that enclave.

The reality is that it happened on his watch and they have every right to be angry, however, the nation is at war and when Israel is under attack they come together. The politics can wait until Hamas has been totally deracinated from every part of that enclave.
That is essentially what the poll showed. National unity, but a fall in support for Bibi's party.

If you watch Israeli media there’s clearly been a vast upsurge of social solidarity and support for retaliation against Hamas (that civilians in Gaza will pay a heavy price for). But there’s been very, very little evidence of any surge in support for Netanyahu or his government.

Why doesnt your article link to it? Im just supposed to take the word of a website called "talking points memo?"

I dunno. Not a Bibi fan, but ..... he only came back into vogue after Fatah turned down Barak's peace offer brokered by WJC. I doubt Israel embraces the Pale cause. So while Bibi will be tossed out, I don't think we'll see a "peace" govt. More like turn Gaza into more of a prison with a land mine guarded DMZ

I appreciate the thread, but right now I don't give a shit about any Palestinians ... not with the hostages locked in holes.

You posted an article that didnt even have the link to the poll in it and everyone else is the lazy one? :rofl:
It took me 15 seconds to find a second source. You could have done the same but you preferred whining.

Forum List

Back