I envy you folks who are older. Because you got to grow up in a much better country.

Exactly. We need to go back to the fifties. That's the time when government leaders cared about us and were on the right track.

It was a time when small businesses good grow to medium sized and large businesses, without having rich Daddies and having to bribe too many pols. yBig banking and conglomeration returned again in the mid-1960's and has proceeded to crush the economy ever since for the benefit of a few politically connected elites.

I’m in my mid 30s and I just wanted to first of all thank every American in this country who is a senior citizen. Thanks for making this country one of the greatest countries in the world. No matter what the far left or the neoconservatives do …. because of you people no matter what happens thousands of years from now the world will look back at a country called the United States of America ….and they will see throughout the 20th century it was the United States that saved the free world. We all remember World War II. It was the Americans, the Soviets, the British who liberated concentration camps where human beings were being exterminated. Nobody can ever take this incredible feat away from the American people and our allies.

We don’t have a middle class today. We really don’t have morals in America, we do have materialism and greed on steroids. We got a divorce rate that’s out of control, we have massive numbers of young men and young women who are single in this country. We have big problems today because of the negative aspects of social media and more drugs in our country, along with Republicans and Democrats incorrectly claiming that America has a “systemically racist” history

Folks I envy you senior citizens of America. I admire you but also have some I guess you can call it envy. The USA is a much more difficult country to have success in today compared to say the 1950s or the 1980s. It is because of the great Americans of history that we will always have hope for the future. And that’s why I stay hopeful, because of the great American history.

I hate to break it to you, but America is not really that special and never has been. Sure it is a great country, but there are a lot of great countries out there.
Perspective is what is lost here. Many of those other nations have mass deaths from endless wars periodically on their territories. We have avoided that. Most of it from location. We have many mediocre politicians because of it. And most of them promoted from elites with power. Joe is one of them. For years we have had first, second and third world nations. Joe would make many of them fourth world. We do not have the wealth at least as currency divided to e all for all people to do what they want endlessly to perpetuity.

I do not know whether it was a "better" country but as an 86-year-old I do miss the days when one could go downtown or take public transportation and not worry about being robbed or beaten up or murdered.

And when most people would have laughed if it was suggested that they install a security system in their homes!

I hate to break it to you, but America is not really that special and never has been. Sure it is a great country, but there are a lot of great countries out there.

Well Mac we are the only nation founded on a set of ideals put forth in a document like the Constitution. Not on a tribe, a monarchy, or a conquest of war.

Denying positive aspects of the past isn't exactly an accurate depiction either. While the past was not perfect, it at least made some sense. The current direction of our country makes no logical sense and is detrimental to its citizens. I always wonder why increased freedom didn't mean more people got to live like the 80's. Instead, minorities are being told success is not possible and most of what was good is being torn down for no reason.
When did I deny the good aspects of the past? What I was doing was saying that not everything was as good as the nostalgia addicts would have us believe. It’s intellectual laziness to assume that doing or saying one thing, necessarily means something else is true. It’s a symptom of the binary good/evil thinking of the MAGA world and leads some to threaten physical violence and incidents like J6.

Looks like I'm WAY the hell up in her head. MDS.

Not pleasant in there.

Looks like you're in there, too.

Trump is not WAY up in my head. You are not WAY up in my head. You are annoying though.

Why are so many people here emotional 13 year olds?

Personal attack = I'm right, but Mac won't admit it.

This is one of my favorite things you do....make personal attacks for 4 pages and then whine like a 3 year old when one comes back you way!

This is one of my favorite things you do....make personal attacks for 4 pages and then whine like a 3 year old when one comes back you way!

I made no personal attacks other than noting what your other persona is. If you can name another free nation not founded on a monarchy, a conquest or a tribal group, but a document of ideals, then name it.

I grew up in the 80's, and while there was violence, it was nowhere near the level it is today. I think crime has steadily gotten worse each decade. There is an obvious societal decay.
Crimes rates have actually gone down since the 80s. Despite your memories that was actually a peak decade.
1072px-Property_Crime_Rates_in_the_United_States.svg.png

This graph only shows some crimes, but is indicative of the general trend. More info can be obtained at:
Crime in the US(Wiki)

How do you think we got most of our land, did those living on it just give it us freely and happily?

We are not founded on a conquest. We expanded after we were founded.

We were a colony for the original land taking. That was all "the sun never sets on the British Empire" colonizers--but for some reason they get a pass, of course.

Forum List

Back