I agree with Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley on reasons for the Civil War

The bad guys won that war and the good guys lost.

A nation with 40 percent of its population in bondage is not “good guys”
One of the most despicable nations in mankinds history

No compromise, it was allowed
The only compromise was the 3/5 allocation for Congressmen
you're confused here. I wasn't referring to the compromise of representation. But that was an ugly reality -- certain states had slaves. This conversation started out with you claiming: "Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery"

The framers of the founding generation were not all onboard with slavery. John Adams refused to have slave brought into his household when he married Abigail Smith. People at the convention compromised -- that's how agreements are realized. Many did not condone slavery, but what were they to do since the Confederation had slave owner states?

The slave trade was outlawed before slavery itself was. How? Compromise. Realities are often ugly.

So you agree, the right to own your brother, to rape, murder, and work them to death,
and then do the same to their children and grandchildren. They were the ultimate groomers.
Slavery was wrong and would have been abolished eventually in any case

The Civil War freed the slaves sooner but left a bitter legacy that still plagues the country

Maybe we would be better off if the abolitionists had used more patience and tact

Last edited:
Slavery was wrong and would have been abolished eventually in any case

The Civil War freed the states sooner but left a bitter legacy that still plagues the country

Maybe we would be better off if the abolitionists had used more patience and tact

If the South had not gone batshit crazy when Lincoln was elected, slavery probably lasted 20-30 years and owners would be reimbursed for their lost “property”

Secession ended slavery in four years

If the South had not gone batshit crazy when Lincoln was elected, slavery probably lasted 20-30 years and owners would be reimbursed for their lost “property”

Secession ended slavery in four years
Yes, I think the secessionists were hotheads who started a war without considering the consequences of defeat

We were discussing progress? I am unaware of that. This conversation started out with you claiming: "Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery"

Founding Fathers did insist on slavery

That is why “All men are created equal” did not apply to slaves. Especially for the man who wrote it.

Replaced by slave breeding farms
Not exactly progress.

The slave population increased after the international slave trade ended
I believe you've mistakenly conflated the Trans-Atlantic slave trade with some International slave trade.

but...

You:
Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery

Dante:
No they did not. It was a compromise. Without it, no USA.

You:
No compromise, it was allowed. The only compromise was the 3/5 allocation for Congressmen

Dante:
you're confused here. I wasn't referring to the compromise of representation. But that was an ugly reality -- certain states had slaves. This conversation started out with you claiming: "Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery" -- The framers of the founding generation were not all onboard with slavery. John Adams refused to have slave brought into his household when he married Abigail Smith. People at the convention compromised -- that's how agreements are realized. Many did not condone slavery, but what were they to do since the Confederation had slave owner states? The slave trade was outlawed before slavery itself was. How? Compromise. Realities are often ugly.

You:
Replaced by slave breeding farms. Not exactly progress. The slave population increased after the international slave trade ended

I believe you've mistakenly conflated the Trans-Atlantic slave trade with some International slave trade.

but...

You:
Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery

Dante:
No they did not. It was a compromise. Without it, no USA.

You:
No compromise, it was allowed. The only compromise was the 3/5 allocation for Congressmen

Dante:
you're confused here. I wasn't referring to the compromise of representation. But that was an ugly reality -- certain states had slaves. This conversation started out with you claiming: "Founding Fathers insisted on Slavery" -- The framers of the founding generation were not all onboard with slavery. John Adams refused to have slave brought into his household when he married Abigail Smith. People at the convention compromised -- that's how agreements are realized. Many did not condone slavery, but what were they to do since the Confederation had slave owner states? The slave trade was outlawed before slavery itself was. How? Compromise. Realities are often ugly.

You:
Replaced by slave breeding farms. Not exactly progress. The slave population increased after the international slave trade ended
?

Founding Fathers did insist on slavery

That is why “All men are created equal” did not apply to slaves. Especially for the man who wrote it.

First, I am no fan of Jefferson. Second, the term 'insist,' is being misused here. States with slaves insisted on acceptance of slavery as a prerequisite to forming the Confederation, and later the USA. Other states accepted the demand. Men who abhorred slavery went along in order to form a nation. What you have demanded they all do?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Preamble to the Declaration of Independence

and you are conflating things here. Not sure why. What is your point? Exactly?

Men who abhorred slavery went along in order to form a nation. What you have demanded they all do?

What they did was kick that can down the road.
They assumed that by ending the importation of slaves the issue would be resolved.

The invention of the Cotton Gin made slavery more profitable and led us to war

Didn't some American colonies (all Brit colonies, not just ones in North America), have chattel slavery before the Trans-Atlantic trade was banned? So, chattel slavery didn't come about in the American colonies for the reasons you claim.
We are talking the US not North and South America

What they did was kick that can down the road.
They assumed that by ending the importation of slaves the issue would be resolved.

The invention of the Cotton Gin made slavery more profitable and led us to wars

Yes. But - 'Men who abhorred slavery went along in order to form a nation. What you have demanded they all do?

No they did not. Stop making stuff up.

I'd say that lacks a full context, but go ahead .. blame progress. But wait! Now, we're mentioning progress.

We are talking the US not North and South America

No. You mentioned some International slave trade. Not sure what that referred to. So I helped by mentioning what affected the British colonies -- The Trans-Atlantic slave trade. And that involved colonies all over the Atlantic. Any arguments made about the slave trade in the colonies, must mention all of the colonies, because they were all ruled by Great Britain, They were all British Subjects.

No. You mentioned some International slave trade. Not sure what that referred to. So I helped by mentioning what affected the British colonies -- The Trans-Atlantic slave trade. And that involved colonies all over the Atlantic. Any arguments made about the slave trade in the colonies, must mention all of the colonies, because they were all ruled by Great Britain, They were all British Subjects.

Guess what?
After we became independent, we were responsible for our own slavery

Forum List

Back