I <3 Elizabeth Warren

If you're[government] going to tell me what "hunk" is suitable for me to keep, it is you[government] who are claiming control over 100%.

And since the government already decides the suitable "hunk", the government already controls 100%.

So what did Warren say that isn't true?
nothing.

She simply said what everyone should know. Large factory owners benefit more from government than workers and therefore should pay a larger portion of their income in taxes.

I disagree...

It may not be conveniently located...or at a wage comprable to what you once earned....or a position with the dignity you believe you deserve....

But you can always find a means to make money....ALWAYS.

Can you provide any evidence for this beyond personal anecdote?

Let me give you a hypothetical. Suppose you live in a country that has recently been devastated by war or natural disaster, let's say Germany in 1945. Industry is in a shambles, the people are being fed by the foreign occupiers or they would starve in masses. You cannot move to France or Italy or to the Soviet-occupied zone, even if there were jobs available in those places, because (this being long prior to the EU) the governments of those countries are not issuing visas to Germans.

In that situation, do you really think that jobs are available to anyone who wants one and is willing to work?

If not (and I assume your grasp on reality is at least that good), can you not recognize that less disastrous circumstances, such as the current economic problem in the U.S. (in which there are far fewer jobs open than there are unemployed people seeking work) might just possibly not entirely be the fault of the unemployed themselves?

Hypotheticals don't mean shit.

When was the last time the USA was a war torn, occupied country?

Here's a hypothetical for you

What if we got rid of all cars and rode unicorns instead?

Good gawd man.

You are taxed same as everyone else in the effin country.

You've chosen to employ yourself. So have I. Good for us. We've taken far more control over our destinies and earning potential. Hopefully we're smart, lucky, and driven enough to have it all pay off.

But you're hoping to be a high-income American. Good luck. But if you are you reap the responsibility as well as the rewards.

Spare us the martyrdom.

You assume I don't pay enough taxes? I paid in last year more than most of you sheep make,
All you welfare queens say that!
Get a job you lazy fuck!!!!!

Fuck you asswipe.

What did you pay in income taxes last year. It should be easy enough for you to count it up on your fingers and toes.

She simply said what everyone should know. Large factory owners benefit more from government than workers and therefore should pay a larger portion of their income in taxes.

What? So the worker who drives on the road to work so he can make 100% of his income is less in need of the highway than the factory owner who uses it to transport the goods? Big leap to a higher proportion from same rate, just a resulting larger amount.

Anyone who can get "everything you have belongs to the state" out of what Warren said has a serious problem comprehending English. :tongue:

Well I have 3 degrees and I didn't get that. What I got was that no one in this country has made it 100% alone, and that everyone, even the wealthy factory owner, needs to remember the social contract and his responsibility.

Right now, after a week in the hosptial in August, I feel like more of my 'hunk' belongs to Vanderbilt than me OR the government.

Cut the 'social contract' bullshit. I didn't sign any contract. I know what my responsibilities are to myself, my family and my fellow man. But, be clear, there is no fucking contract.

If you're[government] going to tell me what "hunk" is suitable for me to keep, it is you[government] who are claiming control over 100%.

And since the government already decides the suitable "hunk", the government already controls 100%.

So what did Warren say that isn't true?
It's implied in the structure of her harangue.

If you're going to be "magnanimous" enough to clam that your "hunk" is 10% today and I'm so privileged as to get to retain the other 90% for myself, the presumption is that all is yours in the first place.

It's the same disingenuous semantics that calls a tax cut a "give away".
The woman belives that everything belongs to the government. Nevermind that the government wouldn't exist without what the government steals from the people all for thier power over us, and thier intent to keep the people in thier place.

I disagree...

It may not be conveniently located...or at a wage comprable to what you once earned....or a position with the dignity you believe you deserve....

But you can always find a means to make money....ALWAYS.

Can you provide any evidence for this beyond personal anecdote?

Let me give you a hypothetical. Suppose you live in a country that has recently been devastated by war or natural disaster, let's say Germany in 1945. Industry is in a shambles, the people are being fed by the foreign occupiers or they would starve in masses. You cannot move to France or Italy or to the Soviet-occupied zone, even if there were jobs available in those places, because (this being long prior to the EU) the governments of those countries are not issuing visas to Germans.

In that situation, do you really think that jobs are available to anyone who wants one and is willing to work?

If not (and I assume your grasp on reality is at least that good), can you not recognize that less disastrous circumstances, such as the current economic problem in the U.S. (in which there are far fewer jobs open than there are unemployed people seeking work) might just possibly not entirely be the fault of the unemployed themselves?

First of all...I was refering to here, in the United States.
Secondly, I am not referring to a time where there is a man made or natural disaster that puts all business to a halt.
As for citing an example...
I am a recruiter in NYC and the surrounding area. Even during the darkest of times as we had in early 2009, there were a multitude of income earning opportunities available for us to fill....none were career opportunities....but they were income opportunities. Having a database of thousands of people looking for work and knowing the limited funds my clients had, I offered to furnish them with a many resumes as they needed to fill their positions...many of the temporary...at no cost....and they STILL had trouble filling them becuase people refused to lower their standards. The local 7-11 had a "help wanted" sign n their window for weeks....the local taxi company, TO THIS DAY has a sign in the window saying "drivers wanted".
Everyday, the local home depot has day workers standing in the parking lot...getting picked up to do a days worth of banging up sheetrock....and if you are out there at 6AM you WILL get a days worth of work.
Sure....it is easy to say "prove it"...I really dont care if you believe it or not.

But I know the truth....and sop do you. You just prefer not to recognize it or admit it as it does not work well with your ideology.

She makes a lot of sense in this story/video. Can anyone dispute her message?

You built a factory out there? Good for you," she continues. "But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did."

She adds: "Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."

Elizabeth Warren takes on

merged

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcFDF87-SdQ]Elizabeth Warren on The Myth of Class Warfare: Nobody Got Rich on His Own... - YouTube[/ame]

She makes a lot of sense in this story/video. Can anyone dispute her message?

You built a factory out there? Good for you," she continues. "But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did."

She adds: "Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."

Elizabeth Warren takes on

merged

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcFDF87-SdQ]Elizabeth Warren on The Myth of Class Warfare: Nobody Got Rich on His Own... - YouTube[/ame]

I will say it again and likely be ignored again...

Whereas what she says is true it is by no means applciable to the debate in Washington.

NO ONE is saying that business owners should not pay taxes. We should and we do and in return we get all of those services she described.

So the fact that she gave her little speech has me asking "why"?

Does she think business owners do not pay taxes in return for the services she describes? For if she does, she is wrong.
Does she believe business owners dont believe they should pay taxes for the services she descirbed? For if she does, she is wrong.
Does she want her consiutuants to believe that business owners dont pay taxes? If she does, she is disingenuous.
Does she want her consitutants to believe that business owners dont want to pay taxes? If she does, she is heating up the class warfare issue.

the other threads on this were insufficient?

Of course not. Multiple threads on the same subject allow for confusion and a sense it must be true, if more than one exists. Plus there is the keep a mod busy factor. Let's just title is one the mother of all Elizabeth Warren threads.

I hear all this, oh this is class warfare, no! There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there -- good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that maurauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea -- God Bless! Keep a Big Hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.

Rest of us... meaning 50% who pay taxes?

Forum List

Back