Hunting and the Wildlife Overpopulation Myth

A lot of people here simply don't have the money to buy super market beef. Meat is meat. Those freezers full of venison help sustain many families here. You know nothing about this area. Many here would have starved during the Great Depression had it not been for the abundance of wildlife.

Hunting – at least in its modern form – is FAR more expensive than supermarket beef so I find that claim rather dubious. Purchasing the license, tags, weapons, ammo and having the meat butchered is not cheap.

I guess you could save on the butcher and do the meat yourself but you are still likely to run up a higher tab than supermarket meet which can be had for very little.

No it isn't. Not here. All it takes is 1 bullet to drop a deer. People already own the gear and don't have to buy from year to year. Same with freezers. Butcher processing is about $50. Licensing is nominal:

For purchase over-the-counter or online for 2013 season:
•Resident Any-Season White-tailed Deer permit (white-tailed deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Any-season White-tailed Deer permits are valid statewide in any season, provided legal equipment is used for that season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Resident Archery Either-species/Either-sex Deer permit (white-tailed or mule deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Archery Either-species/Either-sex Deer permits are valid statewide with archery equipment only during archery season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Resident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex Deer permit (white-tailed or mule deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex Deer permits are valid either in the east unit (3, 4, 5, 7, 16) or the west unit (1, 2, 17, 18) during the early muzzleloader season and the regular firearm season using muzzleloading equipment only. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Hunt-Own-Land Deer Permit — $17.50 resident landowner, $17.50 all tenants. Available to individuals who qualify as residents landowners, including family members living with the landowner or tenant. Permit valid for any white-tailed or mule deer only on land owned or operated by landowner or tenant during muzzleloader-only, archery, and firearm seasons using equipment legal for that season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30

Deer / Applications and Fees / Hunting / KDWPT - KDWPT

I pay $15.00 for one beef roast at the grocery. For the cost of 4 or 5 grocery meals, many people here feed their families for months.

Some people do process their own. But I know what a pain in the butt it is because when I was a girl my mother and brother processed one in our kitchen. That was a long day, but we had good meat for a long time.

You really don't know anything about this state or the people in it. People here don't like to take 'charity.' For every one person who is on food stamps there are 10 more who hunt wild game, grow their own vegetables and can them. My late husband wasn't a hunter, but we did the garden thing and I rarely had to buy anything in the way of vegetables that went on our table. It is a lot of hard work, but people here don't mind working hard.

Nope, don’t know anything about people in that state – never claimed that I did.

I do KNOW, however, that the liberals over here have made hunting EXPENSIVE. Deer meat costs more than going to the store and buying it. That does not stop the hunters though – the hunters here hunt because that is what they like to do (most of them at least). The cost is rather irrelevant.

BTW, I said that I found your claim dubious, not wrong. All I can go off is my experience until you had provided me with more than a blanket stament. Don’t take what I state farther than I meant it :D

Last edited:
Hunting – at least in its modern form – is FAR more expensive than supermarket beef so I find that claim rather dubious. Purchasing the license, tags, weapons, ammo and having the meat butchered is not cheap.

I guess you could save on the butcher and do the meat yourself but you are still likely to run up a higher tab than supermarket meet which can be had for very little.

No it isn't. Not here. All it takes is 1 bullet to drop a deer. People already own the gear and don't have to buy from year to year. Same with freezers. Butcher processing is about $50. Licensing is nominal:

•Resident Any-Season White-tailed Deer permit (white-tailed deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Any-season White-tailed Deer permits are valid statewide in any season, provided legal equipment is used for that season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Resident Archery Either-species/Either-sex Deer permit (white-tailed or mule deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Archery Either-species/Either-sex Deer permits are valid statewide with archery equipment only during archery season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Resident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex Deer permit (white-tailed or mule deer buck, doe or fawn) – $32.50 for general residents; $17.50 for landowner/tenants; $17.50 for youth 15 and younger. Resident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex Deer permits are valid either in the east unit (3, 4, 5, 7, 16) or the west unit (1, 2, 17, 18) during the early muzzleloader season and the regular firearm season using muzzleloading equipment only. Available July 30 - Dec. 30
•Hunt-Own-Land Deer Permit — $17.50 resident landowner, $17.50 all tenants. Available to individuals who qualify as residents landowners, including family members living with the landowner or tenant. Permit valid for any white-tailed or mule deer only on land owned or operated by landowner or tenant during muzzleloader-only, archery, and firearm seasons using equipment legal for that season. Available July 30 - Dec. 30

I pay $15.00 for one beef roast at the grocery. For the cost of 4 or 5 grocery meals, many people here feed their families for months.

Some people do process their own. But I know what a pain in the butt it is because when I was a girl my mother and brother processed one in our kitchen. That was a long day, but we had good meat for a long time.

You really don't know anything about this state or the people in it. People here don't like to take 'charity.' For every one person who is on food stamps there are 10 more who hunt wild game, grow their own vegetables and can them. My late husband wasn't a hunter, but we did the garden thing and I rarely had to buy anything in the way of vegetables that went on our table. It is a lot of hard work, but people here don't mind working hard.

Nope, don’t know anything about people in that state – never claimed that I did.

I do KNOW, however, that the liberals over here have made hunting EXPENSIVE. Deer meat costs more than going to the store and buying it. That does not stop the hunters though – the hunters here hunt because that is what they like to do (most of them at least). The cost is rather irrelevant.

BTW, I said that I found your claim dubious, not wrong. All I can go off is my experience until you had provided me with more than a blanket stament. Don’t take what I state farther than I meant it :D

You are seriously mistaken if you think deer meat is more expensive than beef.

Mostly its not an increase in the number of bears so much as it is the increase in housing developments in the mountains where formerly no housing existed.

The Poconos was torn to pieces by the LAND SHARKS starting the 70s.

No, my reading says there are SUBSTANTIALLY more bears, hundreds more. We see them follow the streams down from PA every summer now in my county in Maryland, though it's heavily populated. The last one ate a dog. It was chained to a doghouse. They called out the SWAT team.

Of course you are right that there is gross overpopulation and overbuilding resulting from that. The planet is crowding up with people at a terrifying rate.

It's just that the people are urbanizing to such an extent that family farms are abandoned and so very few are hunting the deer and predators and wild geese and all the other animals that used to be kept down properly. Sort of the worst of all possible worlds for those of us left in the country.

Wildlife does not need to be "managed" by humans.

Yeah you're right...they can starve to death with no help at all.

we process our own deer

pretty much on the cheap that way

You are seriously mistaken if you think deer meat is more expensive than beef.

Correct. The cost of bagging, processing, and freezing one whole deer is about what 4 or 5 beef roasts would cost. And all those little children liberals fret over have meat for a good long time. And smoked venison is just to die for.

Last edited:
What's more valuable to you: 150 humans killed and tens of thousand injured, or some deer?

Both and neither. I do not place humans above or below animals. You're asking the wrong question though. You should be asking why predators have been culled to drastically that prey animal populations have ballooned to such high numbers.

You dont place humans above animals? So if I lined up a deer and your mother you wouldnt care which one I shot? Thats interesting.....strange but interesting.

There ARE too many deer where I live. It isn't safe to drive. And here it was put to a referendum how to manage this over population. The choice was either euthanasia or hunting. I voted for hunting because a lot of people here need the food. Meat doesn't grow on the super market shelf in a plastic container. There is no difference in breeding tame animals or wild ones for food. People still have to eat and forcing a family to buy expensive beef and other meat when they can have venison, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, etc. etc. for free is ludicrous.

I refer you to post #42.

As for the population size, well that merely confirms that managed ecosystems don't work. You're constantly trying to make up for the unintended consequences of A by introducing B, and then you'll have to introduce C to manage the unintended consequences of B and so on. The problems you are referring to are direct results from our determination to kill off wild predators.

You know what? Ecosystems work perfectly when they are left alone.

So when do we start offing humans,and will you be first?

I refer you to post #42.

As for the population size, well that merely confirms that managed ecosystems don't work. You're constantly trying to make up for the unintended consequences of A by introducing B, and then you'll have to introduce C to manage the unintended consequences of B and so on. The problems you are referring to are direct results from our determination to kill off wild predators.

A lot of people here simply don't have the money to buy super market beef. Meat is meat. Those freezers full of venison help sustain many families here. You know nothing about this area. Many here would have starved during the Great Depression had it not been for the abundance of wildlife.

No way is it cheaper to buy meat at the store. Now if your one of those guys who pays ten grand for trophy hunt yeah.
The only expense for a lot of hunters is the licence and shells. When I hunted my own place I could kill five deer a year plus all the exotics I wanted.
For about fifty bucks.

No way is it cheaper to buy meat at the store. Now if your one of those guys who pays ten grand for trophy hunt yeah.
The only expense for a lot of hunters is the licence and shells. When I hunted my own place I could kill five deer a year plus all the exotics I wanted.
For about fifty bucks.

Come to WA. You have to buy tags for the deer, the license and several other things before you can hunt – not to mention the convoluted ass rules that you need to follow.

If you know someone that has land that you are able to hunt on that helps a lot but trust me, it’s not that simple here.

For about fifty bucks.

I have the same opportunity. I can hunt my land without needing a license, I process all my kills, I have a walk-in freezer, my out of pocket cost is pretty much limited to ammo and butcher paper.

For about fifty bucks.

I have the same opportunity. I can hunt my land without needing a license, I process all my kills, I have a walk-in freezer, my out of pocket cost is pretty much limited to ammo and butcher paper.

If you're in Texas you still need a license to hunt on your own property. Legally anyway...
Unless of course you're referring to hog and coyote and the like.

Last edited:
There ARE too many deer where I live. It isn't safe to drive. And here it was put to a referendum how to manage this over population. The choice was either euthanasia or hunting. I voted for hunting because a lot of people here need the food. Meat doesn't grow on the super market shelf in a plastic container. There is no difference in breeding tame animals or wild ones for food. People still have to eat and forcing a family to buy expensive beef and other meat when they can have venison, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, etc. etc. for free is ludicrous.

I refer you to post #42.

A lot of people here simply don't have the money to buy super market beef. Meat is meat. Those freezers full of venison help sustain many families here. You know nothing about this area. Many here would have starved during the Great Depression had it not been for the abundance of wildlife. It is really disheartening when someone like you cares nothing for poor people and would deprive them of their best source of protein. Well, daveman and I have set straight another one who thought he should be running this state..
Some people view human beings as an aberration that should be eliminated.

Strangely enough, these people never volunteer to off themselves. :cool:

There is a balance.
My insurance company, USAA, doesn't even require a police report. Just call an agent and tell him a *%#$@!! deer ran out in front of you.

I hit two in 2011. Did a total of $7,000 in damages to my Town & Country. One more and they'll total it. Hell, if a headlight burns out, they'll total it. :lol:

Praise God that no one was hurt in the collisions.

Dave, don't you just love how they tell us all about where we live!

Where I live I never drive over 40 MPH because of the deer. I recall one day when I was working there were so many out one morning that I was 45 minutes late. No idea why there were so many more out that day than any other.

Also, what the don't know about is the heavy fogs we have here. The rivers and river bottoms create many a foggy morning. The deer do not move in the fog. If they are standing in the road, they can't see because of the fog and they are just there. So, they can't see you, you can't see them, and bye bye deer, car, and maybe even you and your passengers.

As to predators, we still have bobcats where I live. I can hear them roar at night. Foxes out here keep the rabbit population down to nil. I've seen one rabbit since moving here in 2007. In TN, I couldn't even plant flowers because they rabbits would eat them.
Man, the fog was nasty this morning.

Since I spend a lot of time in rural areas where hunting generally isn't allowed (Federal property), I see lots of predators and lots of prey.

City folk just don't get it.

Then we have the wonderful ferel hogs
:clap2:
Open season. No license fees.
All the pork you can carry
:thup:

And I still stand behind my statement that the author of the article linked in the OP fails to support any of his/her claims

I think we have a few as well. I just have not been privileged to see one. Not sure I would like wild hog. I can always tell when I have bought ham from an old boar and I think it is too strong. And, I am most disappointed that we have people who would deprive our KY children of delicious nutritious game. IMO, it is immoral to euthanize wild game which is abundant and which can be processed and eaten. You should see the herds of wild turkeys we have here. If I ever have my camera with me I'll try to get a pic for you.

We processed and slow BBQ'd this boar and it ranked right with any meat I've ever eaten.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLN4aMwxpo]tennessee hog hunting - YouTube[/ame]

I refer you to post #42.

Not everyone has bought a tag for the deer they've killed.

Then we have the wonderful ferel hogs
:clap2:
Open season. No license fees.
All the pork you can carry
:thup:

And I still stand behind my statement that the author of the article linked in the OP fails to support any of his/her claims

I think we have a few as well. I just have not been privileged to see one. Not sure I would like wild hog. I can always tell when I have bought ham from an old boar and I think it is too strong. And, I am most disappointed that we have people who would deprive our KY children of delicious nutritious game. IMO, it is immoral to euthanize wild game which is abundant and which can be processed and eaten. You should see the herds of wild turkeys we have here. If I ever have my camera with me I'll try to get a pic for you.

We processed and slow BBQ'd this boar and it ranked right with any meat I've ever eaten.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLN4aMwxpo]tennessee hog hunting - YouTube[/ame]
You can make anything edible, I reckon. A guy I work with is involved in a big wild game feast every year. One year a fellow gave him a dead possum and told him to cook it. He slow cooked it in a crockpot, deboned it, and put barbecue sauce on it. Said it was pretty good. Pulled possum sammiches! :lol:

You can make anything edible, I reckon. A guy I work with is involved in a big wild game feast every year. One year a fellow gave him a dead possum and told him to cook it. He slow cooked it in a crockpot, deboned it, and put barbecue sauce on it. Said it was pretty good. Pulled possum sammiches! :lol:

Yuk. My mother cooked a possum once for my brother. I was VERY young, but I recall it was really greasy.

For about fifty bucks.

Not sure where some of these folks get their ideas about things. One thread it will be 'oh the poor hungry children.' Next thread it will be 'never mind the poor hungry children.'

For about fifty bucks.

Come to WA. You have to buy tags for the deer, the license and several other things before you can hunt – not to mention the convoluted ass rules that you need to follow.

If you know someone that has land that you are able to hunt on that helps a lot but trust me, it’s not that simple here.

WA. deer hunting license is 95 bucks and change. So the cost is a little more then in Texas,but still not to bad.

Are you a strict vegan?

I mean strict...no fish, nothing that contains or uses animal byproducts.

If not, you hunt by proxy.

You should be ashamed to hunt by proxy then proclaim that you would be ashamed to admit it.

Don't try to pretend hunters do it for food. It's about the joy of the hunt. The food is icing on the cake. When the supermarkets close down and there's no other way to obtain food, then maybe you'd have an argument that hunters do it out of necessity to feed themselves. Until then, it's disingenuous to say so.

Of course hunters hunt for food.

I hunt to put meat on the table, just like my father and his father before him.

When the supermarkets close down, you better already have the skills, because the learning curve will be steep.

And I notice you avoided the issue of killing by proxy. Hypocrite, know thyself.

Forum List

Back