Hunting and the Wildlife Overpopulation Myth

DarkLion

Rookie
Apr 7, 2013
Hunting and Habitat Manipulation

From hearing hunters talk about the overpopulations of deer, bears and other "game" animals, one would think they are practically tripping over these megafauna in the American wilderness. However, this is not the case, and both public and private lands are managed in a variety of ways to increase hunting opportunities, regardless of what is natural or necessary.

The most egregious example is probably clearcutting. In an attempt to boost deer populations, state wildlife management agencies, which are run by hunters for hunters and make their money from the sales of hunting licenses, will clearcut the forests on public lands in order to create the edge habitat that is favored by deer. In their literature, they seldom admit that this is the purpose of the clearcutting, and often vaguely claim that it benefits "wildlife" or "game." Many Americans believe we already have too many deer, and would not tolerate attempts to increase the deer population.

==================================================

Hunters claim to take the place of other predators in controlling the populations of prey species. There are several problems with this argument:

The populations of prey species do not need to be controlled. As discussed above, deer populations are artificially increased to maximize hunting opportunities. Hunters increase the deer population to create the illusion of deer overpopulation in order to gain public support for hunting.

Hunters do not act like other predators. While other predators target the old, the young, the sick and the weak, hunters target the largest specimens with the biggest tusks, antlers or horns. Instead of culling the weakest members of the species and helping the species to evolve to be stronger, hunters are what Newsweek magazine calls "evolution in reverse" and "survival of the weak and scrawny." Bighorn sheep now have smaller horns compared to thirty years ago, and fewer African and Asian elephants have tusks.

If the deer in a certain area become overpopulated and food is scarce, the lack of food will cause weaker individuals to starve to death and the fawns will absorb more embryos and have fewer offspring.

In addition to artificially increasing wild populations of deer, state wildlife management agencies also breed animals specifically to be hunted. Predators do not breed pheasant and quail so they can be hunted.

Hunters often say that a population of animals is "overabundant," which is not a scientific term, but misleads the public into thinking that the animals are overpopulated. Overpopulation is a scientific concept, and exists when a species exceeds its biological carrying capacity. This deceptive terminology gains public sympathy for hunting and creates an illusion that hunting is desirable or even necessary.

Hunting and the Environment - Are Hunters Environmentalists

I have been saying for years that hunters do not "love" nature, they love a false nature manipulated to serve their means. More human dominance over the natural world to its detriment. I cannot wait to hear the apologists come along and dispute this; should be fun!

If the deer in a certain area become overpopulated and food is scarce, the lack of food will cause weaker individuals to starve to death and the fawns will absorb more embryos and have fewer offspring.

Fawns are baby deer. They don't have embryoes because they are not mature. The writer of this piece is a complete ignoramus, wouldn't you agree?

In addition to artificially increasing wild populations of deer, state wildlife management agencies also breed animals specifically to be hunted. Predators do not breed pheasant and quail so they can be hunted.

I bet other predators would if they knew how. Predators love to hunt and kill. I speak who know, living on a farm with entirely too many predators running around killing everything en masse that isn't securely fenced against them.

Hunters often say that a population of animals is "overabundant," which is not a scientific term, but misleads the public into thinking that the animals are overpopulated. Overpopulation is a scientific concept, and exists when a species exceeds its biological carrying capacity. This deceptive terminology gains public sympathy for hunting and creates an illusion that hunting is desirable or even necessary.

Maybe they don't say "overpopulated" because what they mean is what they said: overabundant. The increase in bears in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has become a serious wildlife management problem, for instance. From a human perspective, that is an "overabundance" of bears. The writer of this piece is perhaps not a native English speaker, and is certainly not well educated.

I have been saying for years that hunters do not "love" nature, they love a false nature manipulated to serve their means.

Do you mean "serve their ends"? You seem to have means and ends confused here. I wonder if you wrote the quoted piece: your comments seem to have the same problem with using the English language as the quoted piece does.

More human dominance over the natural world to its detriment. I cannot wait to hear the apologists come along and dispute this; should be fun!

Why exactly do you think it would be fun? You sound very angry; you aren't having fun now.

Last edited:
The increase in bears in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has become a serious wildlife management problem, for instance.

Mostly its not an increase in the number of bears so much as it is the increase in housing developments in the mountains where formerly no housing existed.

The Poconos was torn to pieces by the LAND SHARKS starting the 70s.

The increase in bears in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has become a serious wildlife management problem, for instance.

Mostly its not an increase in the number of bears so much as it is the increase in housing developments in the mountains where formerly no housing existed.

No, my reading says there are SUBSTANTIALLY more bears, hundreds more. We see them follow the streams down from PA every summer now in my county in Maryland, though it's heavily populated. The last one ate a dog. It was chained to a doghouse. They called out the SWAT team.

Of course you are right that there is gross overpopulation and overbuilding resulting from that. The planet is crowding up with people at a terrifying rate.

It's just that the people are urbanizing to such an extent that family farms are abandoned and so very few are hunting the deer and predators and wild geese and all the other animals that used to be kept down properly. Sort of the worst of all possible worlds for those of us left in the country.

Hunting and Habitat Manipulation

From hearing hunters talk about the overpopulations of deer, bears and other "game" animals, one would think they are practically tripping over these megafauna in the American wilderness. However, this is not the case, and both public and private lands are managed in a variety of ways to increase hunting opportunities, regardless of what is natural or necessary.

The most egregious example is probably clearcutting. In an attempt to boost deer populations, state wildlife management agencies, which are run by hunters for hunters and make their money from the sales of hunting licenses, will clearcut the forests on public lands in order to create the edge habitat that is favored by deer. In their literature, they seldom admit that this is the purpose of the clearcutting, and often vaguely claim that it benefits "wildlife" or "game." Many Americans believe we already have too many deer, and would not tolerate attempts to increase the deer population.

==================================================

Hunters claim to take the place of other predators in controlling the populations of prey species. There are several problems with this argument:

The populations of prey species do not need to be controlled. As discussed above, deer populations are artificially increased to maximize hunting opportunities. Hunters increase the deer population to create the illusion of deer overpopulation in order to gain public support for hunting.

Hunters do not act like other predators. While other predators target the old, the young, the sick and the weak, hunters target the largest specimens with the biggest tusks, antlers or horns. Instead of culling the weakest members of the species and helping the species to evolve to be stronger, hunters are what Newsweek magazine calls "evolution in reverse" and "survival of the weak and scrawny." Bighorn sheep now have smaller horns compared to thirty years ago, and fewer African and Asian elephants have tusks.

Hunting and the Environment - Are Hunters Environmentalists

I have been saying for years that hunters do not "love" nature, they love a false nature manipulated to serve their means. More human dominance over the natural world to its detriment. I cannot wait to hear the apologists come along and dispute this; should be fun!

Where do you live?

In the state of Washington the fish and game department takes the money from our license fees and uses it to lure and herd wild animals into state and federal parks two weeks before hunting season opens. That way they cannot be hunted. How is it that my money makes the department my slave?

You have obviously never hunted.

An About.com blog entry in the Animal Rights section is not what I would call a first rate source.

As pointed out in previous posts, the author is uninformed.

To add to that, no conservation department relies on funding from deer tags and licenses.

Missouri passed a statewide 1/8 cent sales tax in 1976 dedicated to funding our conservation department.

They are also funded by two federal programs funded by excise tax on sporting goods:

The Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 (also known as the Pittman-Robertson Act) is funded by excise taxes on sporting arms and ammunition, pistols, and certain archery equipment. The Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act of 1951 (aka the Dingell-Johnson Act) is funded by excise taxes on fishing equipment. The Sport Fish Restoration Fund is augmented by the Wallop-Breaux Act of 1984, from excise taxes on motor-boat fuels.

Since these two programs’ inception, Missouri has received approximately $370 million for fish- and wildlife-related activities. The funds were established at the urging of hunters and anglers.

News & Events, Missouri Conservationist: Jun 2013 | Missouri Department of Conservation

Last edited:
Also, Missouri Department of Conservation shows no compunction whatsoever when it comes to completely closing all hunting of species that it deems necessary to replenish due to lower than expected populations.

At this time, there is no quail, ruffled grouse, or pheasant hunting in Missouri except for, in the case of quail, a youth season.

These species are not declining due to over-hunting, but instead they are succumbing to the resurgence of the coyote population and the dramatic increase in feral house cats.

About the author:

Doris Lin is an animal rights attorney, the Director of Legal Affairs for the Animal Protection League of New Jersey and a member of the steering committee of the League of Humane Voters of New Jersey.
Experience:

Doris has worked for a variety of animal groups, including the Animal Protection PAC, Animal Protection League of NJ (f.k.a. NJ Animal Rights Alliance), The Bear Education And Resource Group, The Humane Society of the US, and the Animal Welfare Institute. She has also founded two student animal rights groups, and served on the Board of the Boston Vegetarian Society.

As an attorney, she represented NJARA and the BEAR Group in a lawsuit against the state of NJ, successfully invalidating the state's bear hunt plan in 2007. She is also a former chair of the NJ State Bar Association's Animal Law Committee, and is the author of "Bear Hunt Controversy Shines the Spotlight on New Jersey's Wildlife Law," published in New Jersey Lawyer Magazine.

She has also worked for the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Doris has been an animal rights activist for over 25 years, vegetarian for nearly as long, and vegan for over 20 years. She shares a home with three humans, two rabbits and four guinea pigs, and is a life member of the House Rabbit Society.

http://animalrights.about.com/bio/Doris-Lin-42302.htm
Totally unbiased...

/thread

Last edited:
The fundamental concept behind a CDZ is that someone would put forth a proposition and then substantiate it with facts and/or logic. What, exactly, is the proposition in the OP? That "hunters do not 'love' nature?" Is this is worthy of debate?

Is this is worthy of debate?

Probably not.

As I said in a different thread, first we wiped out all or most of our natural predators so that a very few people could use various animals for target practice.

Each time that approach failed, as it inevitably will, we either introduced yet another non-indigenous species to "control" the ones we don't like or we increased the hunting "season". Each time THAT approach failed, we did it again. And, again.

And, even though we know our "management" methods will fail, we will do it again and again.

The result is that we have opportunistic species over-running and pushing out the indigenous species while hunters continue to demand more animals to shoot at.

Even though white tail deer "management" has been a total disaster, they are often cited as the poster child of wildlife management. In fact, the white tail constitutes only about 5% of the animals "hunted". By far and away, most are birds such as doves and quail and they have proved to be just as disastrous as white tail deer.

The good news is that less than 7% of US hunts and that number gets less and less every year. But still, that minority does enormous damage to our environment.

In answer to the OP's question - Do hunters love nature?

Probably not. Most hunters get their guns out once a year, clean them, buy some ammo and beer and go out in the woods to be able to say "fuck" and spit and pretend to be big hunt 'n' grunt he-mans.

They "love" what they want to be able to kill. Hence, "duck stamps" and the like.

Non-game animals are on their own.

Probably not.

As I said in a different thread, first we wiped out all or most of our natural predators so that a very few people could use various animals for target practice.

Each time that approach failed, as it inevitably will, we either introduced yet another non-indigenous species to "control" the ones we don't like or we increased the hunting "season". Each time THAT approach failed, we did it again. And, again.

And, even though we know our "management" methods will fail, we will do it again and again.

The result is that we have opportunistic species over-running and pushing out the indigenous species while hunters continue to demand more animals to shoot at.

Even though white tail deer "management" has been a total disaster, they are often cited as the poster child of wildlife management. In fact, the white tail constitutes only about 5% of the animals "hunted". By far and away, most are birds such as doves and quail and they have proved to be just as disastrous as white tail deer.

The good news is that less than 7% of US hunts and that number gets less and less every year. But still, that minority does enormous damage to our environment.

Probably not. Most hunters get their guns out once a year, clean them, buy some ammo and beer and go out in the woods to be able to say "fuck" and spit and pretend to be big hunt 'n' grunt he-mans.

They "love" what they want to be able to kill. Hence, "duck stamps" and the like.

I am unable to find any truth at all in your post. You sound like one of those "nature lovers" who would faint if their feet ever ventured beyond concrete and asphalt and get all your facts from the cartoon channel. Bambi wasn't a real deer. Get over it.

Probably not.

I am unable to find any truth at all in your post. You sound like one of those "nature lovers" who would faint if their feet ever ventured beyond concrete and asphalt and get all your facts from the cartoon channel. Bambi wasn't a real deer. Get over it.

It's difficult for me to respond XXXXX in the CDZ because...how can I put this in CDZ admissible parlance...his replies stem from an incredible ignorance of every subject.

I could not find any statement of fact in his post either.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the premise? States will authorize clear cutting in order to make money on hunting licenses? Has anyone ever heard of a more preposterous theory? If the radical left is so concerned about wildlife they should consider the impact of windmill technology on migratory birds including eagles.

Fawns are baby deer. They don't have embryoes because they are not mature. The writer of this piece is a complete ignoramus, wouldn't you agree?

Who knows? I myself have heard of female lions absorbing embryos when they cannot find adequate hunting. Malnourishment seems to cause it, though I have never read a scientific text on it so I don't even know if it really happens.

I bet other predators would if they knew how.

Irrelevant.

I speak who know, living on a farm with entirely too many predators running around killing everything en masse that isn't securely fenced against them.

A) "Too many predators" is your opinion.

B) You shouldn't nitpick my word usage, XXXXXXX

Maybe they don't say "overpopulated" because what they mean is what they said: overabundant. The increase in bears in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has become a serious wildlife management problem, for instance. From a human perspective, that is an "overabundance" of bears. The writer of this piece is perhaps not a native English speaker, and is certainly not well educated.

What is the difference between "overabundance" and "overpopulation"?

Why exactly do you think it would be fun? You sound very angry; you aren't having fun now.

We could do without XXXXXXX

I bet other predators would if they knew how. Predators love to hunt and kill. I speak who know, living on a farm with entirely too many predators running around killing everything en masse that isn't securely fenced against them.

I have been saying for years that hunters do not "love" nature, they love a false nature manipulated to serve their means.

Do you mean "serve their ends"? You seem to have means and ends confused here. I wonder if you wrote the quoted piece: your comments seem to have the same problem with using the English language as the quoted piece does.

More human dominance over the natural world to its detriment. I cannot wait to hear the apologists come along and dispute this; should be fun!

Fawns are baby deer. They don't have embryoes because they are not mature.

exactly a fawn would be "baby" deer

a yearling would be about the right age

XXXXXXX

Farmers manipulate nature to serve their needs.

Since you don't hunt, I presume 100% of your food comes from farming.

Unless you go around gathering berries and nuts in the woods all day long. In which case you should be ashamed at taking the deers' food.

Last edited:

No, my reading says there are SUBSTANTIALLY more bears, hundreds more. We see them follow the streams down from PA every summer now in my county in Maryland, though it's heavily populated. The last one ate a dog. It was chained to a doghouse. They called out the SWAT team.

Of course you are right that there is gross overpopulation and overbuilding resulting from that. The planet is crowding up with people at a terrifying rate.

It's just that the people are urbanizing to such an extent that family farms are abandoned and so very few are hunting the deer and predators and wild geese and all the other animals that used to be kept down properly. Sort of the worst of all possible worlds for those of us left in the country.

Wildlife does not need to be "managed" by humans.

In the state of Washington the fish and game department takes the money from our license fees and uses it to lure and herd wild animals into state and federal parks two weeks before hunting season opens. That way they cannot be hunted. How is it that my money makes the department my slave?

Government has been killing predators for a long time. This is why there seem to be so many deer, aside from mankind encroaching on their habitat, their natural enemies have been all but wiped out in many places.

All in the name of protecting livestock and hunting interests.

You have obviously never hunted.

Thank god no, and if I had I certainly wouldn't admit it. I'd be too ashamed.

Forum List

Back