Huckabee frees Washington cop killer

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee came under fire during his presidential run for his commutation of the sentence of Wayne Dumond, who was found guilty of rape and murder in Missouri after being released from prison in Arkansas.

In light of the news that Huckabee commuted the 95-year sentence of the suspect in yesterday’s slaying of four Washington state police officers, we dusted off our 2008 campaign research books to take another look at the numbers.

On his radio show today, Huckabee again addressed the slayings, placing blame both with his own state’s system and the government of Washington.

“Should he be found to be responsible for this horrible tragedy, it will be a series of failures in the criminal justice system in both Arkansas and Washington state,” he said of Clemmons.

Huckabee's commutation record - First Read - msnbc.com

Yet Huckabee accepts no blame of his own. It will be interesting to see how Republicans handle this should Huckabee make another run for the presidency. You might remember that in 1988 the Republicans launched their infamous Willie Horton ad attacking Democrat presidential candidate Michael Dukakis for being responsible for the very same thing Huckabee has just done, twice now.

Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protests of prosecutors.

Prosecutors are going to protest a sentence being commuted 999 times out of one thousand. You make it sound like it is some new trend.

And you're glad those cops are dead so you can demonize a Republican for it, we get it .........

What he fails to mention is that after Huckabee pardoned him, he was imprisoned again...and paroled early.

Which shows that poor judgment in Arkansas isn't limited to the Huckster, he was just the highest ranking official exercising it.

No, it shows that Huckabee commuted his sentence, and when he again committed violent crimes, a parole board, who KNEW he'd been commuted and continued to be a danger, determined it would be best to let him go AGAIN.

It's idiotic. He may have had his sentence commuted for a variety of reasons....perhaps the investigation went awry, or the prosecution withheld evidence, any of a variety of technicalities.

But when the guy went out, committed violent crimes, and the parole board turned him loose AGAIN, that's just criminal. On their part.

Huckabee is a reasonable person. I sincerely doubt he would have released anyone he considered a serious threat to society. Somebody prepared a list of people who it was felt may merit such treatment. Reasons were given both pro and con to that possibility. A decision was made.

Giving some of these folks a second chance may be a good idea. When that chance is squandered, they should go back to prison. This person was given eight more chances, which is nine more than four police officer were given.
You give the guy too much credit. He prayed before he commuted the sentence of a monstrous criminal. Of course he released somebody he thought was not a threat. He had god on his side. :cuckoo:

Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protests of prosecutors.

Prosecutors are going to protest a sentence being commuted 999 times out of one thousand. You make it sound like it is some new trend.

Yet we are talking about this one time. It's about personal responsibility and group identity. The right is shielding a beloved (by the right) politician from the consequences of his actions. Shame!

Huckabee is a reasonable person. I sincerely doubt he would have released anyone he considered a serious threat to society. Somebody prepared a list of people who it was felt may merit such treatment. Reasons were given both pro and con to that possibility. A decision was made.

Giving some of these folks a second chance may be a good idea. When that chance is squandered, they should go back to prison. This person was given eight more chances, which is nine more than four police officer were given.
You give the guy too much credit. He prayed before he commuted the sentence of a monstrous criminal. Of course he released somebody he thought was not a threat. He had god on his side. :cuckoo:

Apparently you have never heard about free will, huh Dev?

I misseed the part in bold when I read the articles today. Care to link please.

What he fails to mention is that after Huckabee pardoned him, he was imprisoned again...and paroled early.

Which shows that poor judgment in Arkansas isn't limited to the Huckster, he was just the highest ranking official exercising it.

No, it shows that Huckabee commuted his sentence, and when he again committed violent crimes, a parole board, who KNEW he'd been commuted and continued to be a danger, determined it would be best to let him go AGAIN.

It's idiotic. He may have had his sentence commuted for a variety of reasons....perhaps the investigation went awry, or the prosecution withheld evidence, any of a variety of technicalities.

But when the guy went out, committed violent crimes, and the parole board turned him loose AGAIN, that's just criminal. On their part.

I am sure that whoever pardoned the perp in Washington had not all the info that Huckabee had. What was the guy pardoned for in Washington and when? :eusa_whistle:

Yet we are talking about this one time. It's about personal responsibility and group identity. The right is shielding a beloved (by the right) politician from the consequences of his actions. Shame!

I have already said that if that is the standard fine. We can string Obama up at dawn for his responsibilities which hahe resulted in harm to Americans at home and around the world.

Like Nietzsche, I do not believe in the myth of 'free will'
:eusa_whistle:

It was not in any papers today. You can research Huck's own words on how he made decisions while in power.

search your heart out.... lol http://pewforum.org/religion08/profile.php?CandidateID=10

Last edited:

Like Nietzsche, I do not believe in the myth of 'free will'
:eusa_whistle:

You wasted a post, because I already knew that with your previous post.

I am sure that whoever pardoned the perp in Washington had not all the info that Huckabee had. What was the guy pardoned for in Washington and when? :eusa_whistle:

How are you sure? Cite your information source. I think they would know. They have these things called data bases that police share.

It was not in any papers today. You can research Huck's own words on how he made decisions while in power.

You made the claim. Back it up with the source or concede you just don't know for sure. that you made it up.

"Clemmons served only part of a 35-year prison sentence in Arkansas before it was commuted in 2000 by then governor Mike Huckabee, who sought the Republican presidential nomination in 2008.

"After his release Clemmons committed two armed robberies and a string of other crimes which earned him another 10 year sentence. He was later paroled and moved to Washington state."

Suspect in US police shooting on the run

commutation of sentence is not a pardon...do you now recant your claim huckabee pardoned him?

what is your point? why are you so excited about this? do you think this proves something?

he wasn't pardoned, that is factual
Clemmons was not pardoned in Washington was he? Huckabee, a christian conservative nitwit keeps blaming others. The commutation was the Governor's to make.

"This is the day I've been dreading for a long time," Larry Jegley, prosecuting attorney for Arkansas' Pulaski County said tonight when informed that Clemmons was being sought for questioning in connection with the killings.

Clemmons' criminal history includes at least five felony convictions in Arkansas and at least eight felony charges in Washington. The record also stands out for the number of times he has been released from custody despite questions about the danger he posed.

Huckabee, who ran for the Republican presidential nomination last year, issued a statement tonight calling the slaying of the police officers "a horrible and tragic event."

If Clemmons is found responsible, "it will be the result of a series of failures in the criminal justice system in both Arkansas and Washington State," Huckabee said.

He added that Clemmons' release from prison had been reviewed and approved by the Arkansas parole board.

Clemmons had been in jail in Pierce County for the past several months on a pending charge of second-degree rape of a child. He was released from custody just six days ago, even though was staring at seven additional felony charges in Washington state.

the commutation, not pardon, was due to his age and what huckabee considered a cruel and unusual punishment given his age.....instead acting responsibly with his new freedom, he commits another crime, thus, there is a new crime history from when huckabee released him. he is sent back to prison and this time, huckabee had zero to do with his release.

it is absolutely false to pin this on huckabee, nothing but shameless partisan hackery

He didn't release him. He commuted a 60? year sentence which lowered it to 47 years. The parole board released him.

I have already said that if that is the standard fine. We can string Obama up at dawn for his responsibilities which hahe resulted in harm to Americans at home and around the world.
Harm is caused by different actions in different ways. Obama will be held accountable for decisions he makes and so far he has yet to avoid personal responsibility the way Huck is doing. :doubt:

He didn't release him. He commuted a 60? year sentence which lowered it to 47 years. The parole board released him.

oh, so his commutation only got him a lessened sentence....he still had to get board approval for his release.....sheeesh, the lies the dems have told in this thread is shameful.....

i believe the original sentence was over 90 years

He was out on bail for raping a 12 year old relative.....15,000 bond is all it took.

Forum List

Back