Howard Stern 9-11 Broadcast

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I was at my office just about to start a sales meeting when I got a call from my wife telling me to turn on the T.V. because he WTC was on fire.

We were watching CNN when one of the warehouse guys came up and said Howard was doing the story from right near there. So....we put him on.

Here is the broadcast with in time images from that mornings news. That's basically how we took in that tragic day. If you've never heard it, I highly recommend it. The following day's show ( 2nd link ) is also worth listening to.

On 9/11 I was 16, and in the middle of moving from Pittsburgh to West Virginia. My mother and family had already moved, and left me behind to get a few more things together. I was a teenager in an almost completely empty house so I did the obvious thing. I invited some friends over for a party. My friends all passed out, but I stayed up all night.

In the morning I was listening to Howard Stern while drifting off to sleep, and heard him say something about an attack on the World Trade Center. I thought to myself, "Why the hell is Howard going off about something that happened in 1993?" It was as I was falling asleep that I realized this was something happening at that moment. About an hour later my friend runs into my room, wakes me up, and yells, "We're at war!"

Now I listen to the full Howard Stern 9/11 broadcast every year.

Yup that's a pretty historic broadcast. All jokes and comedy about Pamela Anderson, innocent America, until it all instantly changed.

It's very surreal listening to it after the fact. It starts with them talking about banging Pam Anderson when the news of a plane hitting the first tower comes in. I believe it was Gary who made a comment along the lines of, "I hope it was just an accident, and not one of those suicide attacks." Then they go back to talking about Pam Anderson for a few minutes when news of the second tower being hit comes in.

There was one part where Howard says something along the lines of, "The twin towers won't be a part of our skyline anymore."

Robin responds with, "There's no way. It has to be."

Both buildings collapsed shortly afterwards. :(

I suppose I pay for this guy and he may be on my Sirius but never listen other than occasional click past. I heard some "do u do oral? Do u do anal?" WTH? Went back to MadDog sports or deep track oe willies roadhouse.

Am I missing something special?

Yup that's a pretty historic broadcast. All jokes and comedy about Pamela Anderson, innocent America, until it all instantly changed.

It's very surreal listening to it after the fact. It starts with them talking about banging Pam Anderson when the news of a plane hitting the first tower comes in. I believe it was Gary who made a comment along the lines of, "I hope it was just an accident, and not one of those suicide attacks." Then they go back to talking about Pam Anderson for a few minutes when news of the second tower being hit comes in.
Yep I've heard that broadcast a few times now. The callers are what get me the most.

I suppose I pay for this guy and he may be on my Sirius but never listen other than occasional click past. I heard some "do u do oral? Do u do anal?" WTH? Went back to MadDog sports or deep track oe willies roadhouse.

Well he basically put satellite radio on the map, but some people will never get his appeal.

Well he basically put satellite radio on the map, but some people will never get his appeal.

He's kinda been "meh" recently. I became more of an Opie and Anthony guy in the past few years. Then Anthony got fired, and I haven't listened to either as much anymore.

He's kinda been "meh" recently. I became more of an Opie and Anthony guy in the past few years. Then Anthony got fired, and I haven't listened to either as much anymore.
Yeah but even at "meh" levels he's still better than the rest of radio. He'll probably be coasting on "meh" until he retires. But luckily Sirius/XM has grown into a huge business thanks in large part to Stern, and has a lot of other great shows now.

Yeah but even at "meh" levels he's still better than the rest of radio. He'll probably be coasting on "meh" until he retires. But luckily Sirius/XM has grown into a huge business thanks in large part to Stern, and has a lot of other great shows now.

Not to take any credit away from Howard, but I'm pretty sure Opie and Anthony started in satellite radio before him, and were already a very popular show. Then Sirius and XM merged years after Howard joined. Now they are stuck with honoring the ridiculous $500 million contract Sirius initially promised him.

Not to take any credit away from Howard, but I'm pretty sure Opie and Anthony started in satellite radio before him, and were already a very popular show. Then Sirius and XM merged years after Howard joined. Now they are stuck with honoring the ridiculous $500 million contract Sirius initially promised him.

You are taking away from Howard. Those two aren't even in his league.

Yer right. I'll never mesh gears with a trashmouth dickhead.

You are taking away from Howard. Those two aren't even in his league.

Bullshit. Even without Anthony they are better because they have the best comedians alive on their show.

I remember when the late Patrice O'Neal explained why he only did Opie and Anthony. He said that they referred to him as "Patrice" while Howard referred to him as "that fat black guy". One of the best comedians to ever live, and Howard didn't even know his name.

I don't remember who I got the news from. Just that it was awful.

I hope Stern isn't using his show about it for publicity.

I don't remember who I got the news from. Just that it was awful.

I hope Stern isn't using his show about it for publicity.

He did a great job that day. At one point they were debating whether or not to leave because they were broadcasting from Manhattan. Then his boss came in and suggested they keep broadcasting because of the service they were doing to their listeners.

Forum List

Back