How to get rid of dog pee smell in carpet?

It's much better....I dumped baking soda and vacuumed it up and that did help. I can still smell it, and it's not rose scented, but once it dries completely and we get some time between us and the event, we'll be...better. I'll call the carpet cleaners today and see what they say.

Poor dogs think we live in a sauna cuz I've kept the heat up to facilitate drying (we live in a verrrrry humid part of the country).

the pet store products are really good, try some.

I will.

Merry Christmas, he just barfed in the corner. The antibiotics are hard on the tum.

I have had certain dogs that never made my house smelly. My house wouldn't be smelly now except big boy got sick. He hasn't done anything wrong since that episode..he did puke in the corner but it was a tiny amount and I cleaned it up right away, it didn't soak into the carpet or anything. But I really don't think that anything but time and eventual removal is going to get rid of ALL the effects of the urine. I am never, ever living in a house with carpet in the main living areas of the house again. Ever.

Glory Hallelujah, smell is almost a memory!

Let's just hope it doesn't rain in my house, because if it gets wet, we're in big trouble again.

Nature's Miracle Citrus cleaner in the gallon jug at Petco. has enzymes to prevent repeat peeing and kill the odor.

So my vet put my 105 lb dog on a steroid reigmen but didn't bother to tell me that it would make him PISS GALLONS CONTINUALLY FOR DAYS. By the time I had it figured out, he'd peed maybe 8-9 times...and when he pees, it's COPIOUS..he soaked areas by the front door, my couch, the hallway.

I cleaned promptly, but it doesn't matter. I bought a fabulous Hoover super duper carpet cleaner, and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned (it really is fabulous, I got it on craigslist for $45, it's a $500 machine, and she gave me a huge box of cleaning solutions, too! And the book! And the upholstery attachment...by the way, it make my couch look new)

So his steroids have been reduced now, and he quit peeing about 2 days ago (if I had known I would have lodged him in the garage for the 5 day treatment, but it took 2 days for it to start, and another 2 for me to figure it out, and then he was done with it). I made him a belly band (very cool) but he doesn't need it now.

ANYWAY, my carpet looks beautiful..and it smells like a fucking kennel. I swear it's getting WORSE. I spent two days cleaning the crap out of it...last night was awful, it smelled the minute I walked in, I cranked up the heat to dry it out faster, and now it's pretty dry but still smells like big oily dog piss.

So I'm willing to pay a professional to come in and try their hand...but what sort of cleaning should I be looking for? Dry? Will they have any better luck than I did? Because I did a really super good job, and my hoover is no small potatoes. If they're just doing the same thing, I can do that myself, for all the good it does.

Should I do another run with plain water and a little vinegar and see if that helps? I hate to do it so many times that the rug and pad actually deteriorate....

Any advice is insanely appreciated. I've lived with dogs all my life, but have never had to deal with this problem at quite this level before...it's always been a larger area, smaller dogs, and a LOT less urine.

Get a cat to piss on it

While you're waiting for the Simple Solution to thoroughly dry, nothing beats these candles for killing the odor.

PetOdorCandles.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah we already went that route. It's just about gone...don't get me wrong, it still smells a bit doggy (and candles are good for that, as is SEVERE vacuuming, which is what the weekend is for!) but walking in the front door no longer feels and smells like I've had a pee-soaked blanket thrown over my head. Yes, that's an accurate visual, I think.

Aw but the big boy does make me feel safer. I'm a single woman with two little kids, kind of in a weird little area of town..there are only two houses facing the street where I'm at, and I don't know anybody. Somebody actually came up to my house (I am on a hill with a very steep yard and driveway) around 8:30 to ask to use my phone. I was glad to have big boy barking in the house (I let him use my phone on the front porch) you know, just so he's aware that there is a big dog there.

Also it's nice when I'm walking in the early, early mornings when it's still very dark; this is a heavily forested area, not a lot of lights and some very dark areas. He's not a ferocious boy, he likes people, but they can't exactly sneak up on us, and he's very noisy and just large.

So our house and car smell a little like dog. Nobody is going to sneak into our house; between him and the terrier, they've got it covered. And nobody is going to push their way in the front door, either, without making a serious disturbance.

Yeah we already went that route. It's just about gone...don't get me wrong, it still smells a bit doggy (and candles are good for that, as is SEVERE vacuuming, which is what the weekend is for!) but walking in the front door no longer feels and smells like I've had a pee-soaked blanket thrown over my head. Yes, that's an accurate visual, I think.

Aw but the big boy does make me feel safer. I'm a single woman with two little kids, kind of in a weird little area of town..there are only two houses facing the street where I'm at, and I don't know anybody. Somebody actually came up to my house (I am on a hill with a very steep yard and driveway) around 8:30 to ask to use my phone. I was glad to have big boy barking in the house (I let him use my phone on the front porch) you know, just so he's aware that there is a big dog there.

Also it's nice when I'm walking in the early, early mornings when it's still very dark; this is a heavily forested area, not a lot of lights and some very dark areas. He's not a ferocious boy, he likes people, but they can't exactly sneak up on us, and he's very noisy and just large.

So our house and car smell a little like dog. Nobody is going to sneak into our house; between him and the terrier, they've got it covered. And nobody is going to push their way in the front door, either, without making a serious disturbance.

What did you do to get most of it gone? I have a puppy who's going through being potty trained (also a small dog), and sometimes she misses the newspaper and it gets on the carpet. Well areas have been smelling. Thanks!

Well the smell is still there, it's just faded. I still smell it when I walk in the hall or if I crawl on the floor. But I shampooed the holy hell out of it with a massive Hoover shampooer that I picked up for a song on Craigslist. I spent two days going over and over it...If I had it to do again I would have rinsed it repeatedly with plain hot water and vinegar. When it was almost dry, I dumped baking soda all over the carpet and vacuumed it up, and that really REALLY helped. It was pretty bad initially.

Well the smell is still there, it's just faded. I still smell it when I walk in the hall or if I crawl on the floor. But I shampooed the holy hell out of it with a massive Hoover shampooer that I picked up for a song on Craigslist. I spent two days going over and over it...If I had it to do again I would have rinsed it repeatedly with plain hot water and vinegar. When it was almost dry, I dumped baking soda all over the carpet and vacuumed it up, and that really REALLY helped. It was pretty bad initially.

You rent, right? Unless the odor is completely gone if another dog moves into the house that dog will likely pee on the carpet because he will smell it. Even if you can no longer smell it doesn't mean it's gone. Get a black light . . . you'll be amazed at what you see. If any pee shows up under the light then the problem still exists, whether you can smell it or not.

Oh I know it still exists. I don't need a black light for that. I do rent. I paid a huge pet fee and cleaning fee and I'm sure it will be eaten away if not completely consumed...but I plan to be here for quite a while, so that's kind of a given anyway.

Did you try "Nature's Miracle"? I've used that stuff and it eliminated strong cat and dog pee smell from a carpet to where the animal didn't know they went there.

No, I wanted to give it a little time to see what it was like after it completely dried before I added any more product. I live in a realllly humid place, and it takes a while, even with the heat going (clothes don't dry if they're hung to dry here, not in the summer, not in the winter). I think part of what hit me so hard after the last shampooing was the shampoo itself.

There hasn't been any repeat peeing...it was a blitz by one dog when he was on steroids. Not to say it won't ever happen again...but he has NEVER peed in the house. And he wasn't marking, he was squatting puppy-style and peeing.

Did you try "Nature's Miracle"? I've used that stuff and it eliminated strong cat and dog pee smell from a carpet to where the animal didn't know they went there.

I use Nature's Miracle and think it is God's sent! When I replaced my carpet, I got the best pad available that has a texture on top that repels liquids. I just put a cloth on top of the urine spot and step on it it and it absorbs most of the pee and use Nature's Miracle. It is a Miracle. If I put water on it and try to absorb it with a machine first, it makes it worse.

BTW, Service master could not get stains out where Nature's Miracle could.

In my opinion, putting a dog in a garage or outside for good is neglect.

Last edited:
He's a house dog. If I could I would leave him out part of the day, I used to when I lived in the sticks, with a big fenced yard; he was out when I was at work, in at lunch, out again until we came home, and slept in with us...cold doesn't bother him, he's a saint. I mean it might if he could never get out of it, but that's never been the way I've handled him or any other dog.

He has to have 30 minutes at LEAST (40 minutes and up is better) of exercise every day or he goes nutty, but thank goodness it's basically a sedentary breed...they're athletic as all get out as far as being able to climb and just travel for long distances (not terribly good in the water) but all they need to keep them sane is a brisk, long walk once a day.

I had to start up his steroids again, but I'm giving him less than half the original dose, and he's already twitching. I put him in the garage to let him play with his boxes (he plays with giant cardboard boxes, he loves them) and he peed a gallon on the floor in there, and he got super worked up this morning and I had my hands full dealing with him...wanting to run, wanting to "fight" the terrier, nipping at me and pawing me (not funny or fun) when I intervened, wanting to steal blankets and jump on the beds etc. If it was summer we'd go for a hike up the mountain, but this time of year, it's sort of treacherous...mudslides and such are a danger. I'm still thinking of it though, we might just give it a try. If it's too muddy we can turn around and come back...and if it's not, he'll get tired out.

I can't take him to the beach when he's like this, he's unmanageable when he spots other dogs.

Just counting the days till he's fixed. Should have taken him in a couple of months ago, probably, but I really wanted him to get as much joint growth as possible, to hopefully circumvent problems later...

You can clean the carpet fine, but unfortunately, the urine is deep in the padding. Next step the wood below it. A little tinkle is OK but if the dog has drained himself ALOT, I hate to tell you - the carpet and matting's gotta go if you want to get rid of the odors/damage for good.

Gross and lots of trouble but at best it would take several thorough shampoos, one wouldn't do it the way she described, worst is new carpet. I agree, it's way down in the padding by the gallon.

Forum List

Back