Zone1 How to Close the “Achievement Gap” in Los Angeles Schools, by Mary Morrison

Hector12

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2023
Each year, we teachers in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) are excitedly told about “breakthroughs” in “new” teaching methods that are “brain-based,” “research-based,” “data-based,” and/or “standards-based” and that will, once and for all, close the achievement gaps between blacks and Hispanics, and Asians and whites...

I don’t know a single teacher who does not dread and despise these so-called “PD-days.” At the first meeting in September we are invariably told that the teaching methods we learned the previous year aren’t working. Test scores have not improved, so we are to “toss out any and all manuals” we may have lying around, and to get ready for everything to change...

In these PC-heavy sessions, any mention of IQ or racial differences would be heresy. Educational dogma requires that we must never question the following:

1. IQ is meaningless. (I would note that IQ testing has been banned in California schools since the 1970s because blacks score badly on them. Therefore, there are no objective measures for who should be in gifted or special-education classes.)...

3. There are no racial differences in behavior, focus, or drive. Students are never to blame if they misbehave, fail to study, or can’t understand the curriculum.

4. Unequal outcomes and low test scores are strictly the fault of teachers and schools. This is why more money must be “invested” in teacher training and “professional development.”...

Some of these tried-and-failed schemes have been recycled, given new names, and reintroduced as the latest innovation. Teachers whisper to each other, “We’ve already tried that and it didn’t work.”

-----------

In her much longer essay Mary Morrison explains that nothing works.

In his 1969 article in The Harvard Educational Review Berkeley Professor Arthur Jensen predicted that nothing would work. Why do we keep wasting teachers' time and tax payers' money on delusions about intrinsic individual and average racial intellectual equality?

When has a method ever been developed that turns children who score poorly on IQ tests into competent scholars who can be trained to be managers and professionals?

1. IQ is meaningless. (I would note that IQ testing has been banned in California schools since the 1970s because blacks score badly on them. Therefore, there are no objective measures for who should be in gifted or special-education classes.)...

That right there is another reason the Dept of Education should be defunded.....None of our tax money should go to CA or any underperforming state that won't conduct basic IQ tests.

There's not much of a gap anymore... white students are testing in the 40 percentile... the lowest in the nation along with NYC and Chicago....

That right there is another reason the Dept of Education should be defunded.....None of our tax money should go to CA or any underperforming state that won't conduct basic IQ tests.
The early civil rights movement was inspired by the belief that Negroes, on the average, are as intelligent as whites. Now it is sustained by belief that it does not matter if Negroes, on the average, are less intelligent than whites.

Actually, it matters enormously. It will matter more as our economy and technology become increasingly complex, and require more intelligence to maintain.

As time goes on it will become increasingly difficult to ignore assertions made by Professor's Arthur Jensen and J. Philippe Rushton, and Charles Murray. The lies (or honest delusions) of Professor Stephen Jay Gould will be exposed. I think they are lies, and that it is shameful that college students are assigned to read The Mismeasure of Man, and that they are required to agree to get a good grade.

Last edited:
Having read this sort of nonsense for my entire adult life (I'm 73), it is difficult not to be cynical. Usually the "achievement gap" is cited as an excuse to throw more money at schools - ignoring the fact that some of the school districts with the highest per-student spending are the worst at...education. D.C., I'm talking about YOU.

But there are some anomalies, usually in huge cities like LA and NYC, where special programs are targeted at "at-risk Yoots," and they do achieve some success. But for everyone else, the "IQ Gap" cannot be overcome with customary education techniques, higher paid teachers, or nicer facilities. Unfortunately, the best results come when you separate the students according to standardized test scores, and allow them to learn at their own pace. That's what we did in parochial schools when I was growing up, and we had results that were on par with the poshest school districts in the State.

Urban teachers should get combat pay. And parenthetically, "we" can thank the ACLU for the abandonment of discipline and the rejection of our common heritage - you know what I mean.

Everyone is in over their heads, teachers and students alike. If you ask people my age if teachers were prepared to deal with unruly kids (unruly kids aren't 'students') you would hear a resounding "Oh yeah". Today that answer is a resounding "no". If you cannot control your students behavior you cannot teach them.

Regarding IQ. Kids today lack the general knowledge of yesterday's kids, which is a huge element in determining IQ.

The teachers here will probably blame everything on the parents

And to be fair the parents were undereducated themselves in the same school system their kids attend now

So there is no simple explanation

Bad schools consisting of lackluster educators, slobbish parents, and out of control children equal education failure

Each year, we teachers in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) are excitedly told about “breakthroughs” in “new” teaching methods that are “brain-based,” “research-based,” “data-based,” and/or “standards-based” and that will, once and for all, close the achievement gaps between blacks and Hispanics, and Asians and whites...

I don’t know a single teacher who does not dread and despise these so-called “PD-days.” At the first meeting in September we are invariably told that the teaching methods we learned the previous year aren’t working. Test scores have not improved, so we are to “toss out any and all manuals” we may have lying around, and to get ready for everything to change...

In these PC-heavy sessions, any mention of IQ or racial differences would be heresy. Educational dogma requires that we must never question the following:

3. There are no racial differences in behavior, focus, or drive. Students are never to blame if they misbehave, fail to study, or can’t understand the curriculum.

4. Unequal outcomes and low test scores are strictly the fault of teachers and schools. This is why more money must be “invested” in teacher training and “professional development.”...

Some of these tried-and-failed schemes have been recycled, given new names, and reintroduced as the latest innovation. Teachers whisper to each other, “We’ve already tried that and it didn’t work.”

-----------

In her much longer essay Mary Morrison explains that nothing works.

In his 1969 article in The Harvard Educational Review Berkeley Professor Arthur Jensen predicted that nothing would work. Why do we keep wasting teachers' time and tax payers' money on delusions about intrinsic individual and average racial intellectual equality?

When has a method ever been developed that turns children who score poorly on IQ tests into competent scholars who can be trained to be managers and professionals?
I'm going to be a Lib for just a few moments:

The very best way to close the gap in early education is to lower all standards down to the lowest, common denominator. If we can make sure kids with a 40 IQ get As on their tests, then we must make sure that kids with 135 IQs "learn" at the very same pace. That way, the retards won't feel bad about themselves and the smart kids can be horribly dumbed-down.

Damn ... being a Lib for even a few minutes gave me a major headache.

The teachers here will probably blame everything on the parents

And to be fair the parents were undereducated themselves in the same school system their kids attend now

So there is no simple explanation

Bad schools consisting of lackluster educators, slobbish parents, and out of control children equal education failure
True, we're several generations into our educational death spiral. :omg:

Teachers become lackluster when they teach stupid, lazy, and frequently dangerous students. After awhile they stop caring, and try only to survive.
In that case they are fraudsters

And I suppose that does describe many public teachers who are just hanging on till retirement

In that case they are fraudsters

And I suppose that does describe many public teachers who are just hanging on till retirement
Teachers want to teach intelligent students who are trying to get into the colleges of their choices. If they can't do that retirement is the only thing they have to look forward to.

Teachers become lackluster when they teach stupid, lazy, and frequently dangerous students. After awhile they stop caring, and try only to survive.
I agree. If I were a teacher, I'd want to see the fruits of my labor reflected in the bright awakening of my students. But if they were loud; routinely late; disruptive; and unreceptive, I'd get the sense that I'm simply wasting my time. Teachers are human.

The problem is that the students run the schools because everyone is afraid to discipline them. Especially the inner city schools. Many of them are closer to zoos than centers of education.

Teachers want to teach intelligent students who are trying to get into the colleges of their choices. If they can't do that retirement is the only thing they have to look forward to.
Thats elitist as hell

If so then why are they teachers?

Because most students do not measure up to their ideals

And never will

But they hang around and take the money anyway

Not enough older battle-hardened no-nonsense teachers like I had. :mad:

Thats elitist as hell

If so then why are they teachers?

Because most students do not measure up to their ideals

And never will

But they hang around and take the money anyway
Those that can, do.
Those that can't, teach.

Forum List

Back