How sexy is classical music?

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Witold Lutosławski "Concerto for Orchestra" composed between 1950-1954, this was composed pre-Aleatoricism which Lutosławski became associated with from the 1960's....Pierre Boulez and John Cage are probably the most prominent proponents of Aleatoric music.

This performance is from Deutsche Radio-Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern and the Conductor is Stanisław Skrowaczewski.

Deutsche Radio-Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern was created in 2007, it's a merging of Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Saarbrücken of Saarland and Rundfunkorchester Kaiserslautern Südwestrundfunk of Baden-Württemberg.

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Hey Tilly I think you especially will like this.

Norbert Burgmüller "Piano Concerto in F sharp minor, Op. 1".

Norbert Burgmüller was from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, he composed the above Piano Concerto in 1828 when he was 18 years-old. He suffered from Epilepsy, in 1836 whilst swimming in Bad Aachen, he suffered an epileptic seizure and drowned. In his short life he was extremely prolific, composing 5 Orchestral works, 7 Vocal works, 6 Chamber works, 5 Piano works.

Robert Schumann wrote in a memorial notice that there was no death more deplorable than that of Norbert Burgmüller since the death of Franz Schubert in 1828.

This performance of "Piano Concerto in F sharp minor, Op. 1" is from Sinfonieorchester Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen, the piano soloist is Leonard Hokanson and the Conductor is Gernot Schmalfuß.

Gernot Schmalfuß is more well-known for being a member of Consortium Classicum, the German Chamber Orchestra founded in the early 1960's by Dieter Klöcker.

George Enescu "Ballade for Violin and Piano", composed in 1895 when Enescu was 14 years-old. George Enescu is probably România's most important composer.

The below features Sherban Lupu on violin and Ilinca Dumitrescu on piano.

Here's a sepia photograph, it shows George Enescu at the violin, Dimitrie Dinicu at the cello and Queen Elisabeth of România at the piano, this photograph was taken at Peleș Castle near Sinaia, România.

Regina_Elisabeta_-_Foto05.jpg

This is Peleș Castle, in the background are the Karpaten - the Carpathian Mountains. Peleș Castle was designed and built by Carol Benesch, Johannes Schultz and Karel Liman, beginning in 1873, so it's rather a modern castle.

Camil_Iamandescu-Castelul_Peles.jpg

Does instrumental count as classic? If so....I love this song...I have an affinity for Scotland, and this tune says it all - "Wild Mountain Thyme" or "Will Ye Go Lassie Go".

There have been no posts in this thread since July 4th.

So I'm posting again in this thread, I just posted this in another thread, that thread has nothing to do with Classical Music, so I'm copy and pasting my whole post into this thread.

This excellent Chamber Orchestra are I Musici de Montréal, they were formed in 1983 by a Russian émigré Yuli Turovsky, he died a few years ago, but his Chamber Orchestra lives on.

This is a recording of them performing Alexander Glazunov's "Op. 71: Chant du Ménestrel for cello and piano" which he composed in 1900, he also wrote a composition for cello and orchestra, which is performed below.

The composition and the performance are both exquisite.

Alexander Glazunov, himself an émigré, leaving Russia in 1929 to live in Paris, he died in 1936 at the age of 70 years-old in Neuilly-sur-Seine, a suburb, just West of Paris city centre.

I Musici de Montréal "Op. 71: Chant du Ménestrel for cello and orchestra"

Here is a painting of Alexander Glazunov as a young man.

glazunov.jpg

This is a photograph of Alexander Glazunov as an older man.

DT5L.jpg

Edited to add pictures.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back