How sexy is classical music?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?
i listen to it quite often.....

I love classical music. It lowers blood pressure and the rate your heart beats. It's good for you. :)

It is 57 genres in itself, one for every girl. One can get trippy with Debuse (SP?) and Chopin, or really trippy with Bach. Or Ravel. One can get super emotional with Beethoven and Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. One can get super high with Mozart, or gloomy with Sibelius.

All girls like Strauss. Good music for dancing..... A vertical expression of a horizontal desire

Hello, Classical and Opera have been my main obsessions since I was about 12 years-old, especially Germanic Classical and Opera and Italian Opera....I like other musical genres also, I hate any Mainstream music and have a particular loathing of Pop Music.

Anyhow, I often post Classical pieces in my "What Are You Listening To?" thread, usually with a short write-up as to the nature of the composition, when it was first performed etc.

So you're very welcome, if you so wish, to post any Classical in my thread, here's the link to my thread....also if you ever want to discuss any Classical and Opera, then I'm up for that also.

What are you listening to?

My very first post in my above thread, I posted:

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5, Allegro" composed by Bartók in 1934.

The last two pieces that I've posted have been:

Franz Liszt "Élégie No. 2, S.197, S. 131bis" composed by Liszt in 1877.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)" composed by Brahms in 1878.

I also like Contemporary Classical Music....this is also from my thread, I posted this a few days ago, I'm copying and pasting it here.

Alexander Bălănescu, he's Romanian, the composer and First Violin and the others are all English, James Shenton (violin), Katie Wilkinson (viola) and Nick Holland (cello).

The Bălănescu Quartet "Aria" from their album "Maria T" released in 2005 on Mute Records.

It's impossibly beautiful stuff.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

Probably because it requires an attention span, unlike pop and rock and roll, which relies on 'doing something every 5 seconds or so, and devoted entirely to sucking disposable income out of the pockets of clueless teenagers and those who never grow up and develop a real appreciation of music.

It's popularity comes and goes, but yes it's a relatively small audience, but occasionally some artist comes along and inspires a mini-revival of sorts and a few more people stick around. Tomita, Yo Yo Ma, Sarah Brightman, and most recently Jackie Evancho and her appearance on a mainstream talent show, America's Got Talent, the latter has at least a couple of classical musical acts on it most seasons, and some go on to stay 'famous'.

My personal favorite modern pianist is Helene Grimaud, particularly her Rachmaninoff pieces. I also like some opera arias, though I'm not a fan of sitting Through an entire opera just to hear maybe two or three songs I like. I will listen to nearly anything Pavarotti, Sarah Brightman and Enya sing, though, and some of Russell Watson's efforts are pretty good. I think Bocelli sings in Spanish better than Italian or French.

Forum List

Back