How one man survived before we had child labor laws, cumpulsory education, welfare

Brucethethinker

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2011
A young boy named A.J. lost his father. His mother couldn't afford to keep him so she sold him into indentured servitude. He was essentially a slave until he turned 21. A.J. ran away at 17 and fled his home state. He never spent a single day in school. Yet somehow, without any of the laws and programs that came later, A.J., Andrew Johnson, became 17th president of the United States. Look it up. You don't really hear much about him in our public schools, and you won't. How did we manage before all these laws and programs? Better than we do now?

Try getting a job today without an education..
.Not to say you can't learn a trade and support yourself...It depends what kind of job you want....And you know how Johnson became president?

.Not to say you can't learn a trade and support yourself...It depends what kind of job you want....And you know how Johnson became president?

It would be easy to get a job without a formal education if they didn't hand out diplomas like do many credit card applications. In the old days, anyone with natural intelligence and determination could work his way up in the company without very little formal schooling. Rockefeller only graduated from high school. Andrew Carnegie started working at age 13. Edison only had three months of formal schooling.

And try to work for those companies now without a degree and you will at least get a janitor's job, secretary....

And try to work for those companies now without a degree and you will at least get a janitor's job, secretary....

True, because now the government hands out diplomas like so many credit card applications. Why should corporations invest time and money training their employees when the government does it for them?

And you know how Johnson became president?
I sure do, A.J. is my favorite president. He didn't whine. Once he became successful in Tennessee, he paid to move his mother and her new husband to Tennessee. He married a school teacher.

Like Paul Simon said, when I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, its a wonder I can think at all.

True, because now the government hands out diplomas like so many credit card applications. Why should corporations invest time and money training their employees when the government does it for them?

How does the government hand out diplomas and. if they're just handed out. why do companies think they're good enough that people don't need to be trained? You can't have it both ways.

As a millwright that works with electricians and automation people, you need an education to work in a trade. If you are younger than 50, in my trade, they want to see a completed apprentice certificate. My company won't even talk to you without that.

Try geTtting a job today without an education..

As a millwright that works with electricians and automation people, you need an education to work in a trade. If you are younger than 50, in my trade, they want to see a completed apprentice certificate. My company won't even talk to you without that.

Try geTtting a job today without an education..

You're talking about union jobs, and a closed shop is nothing more than legalized extortion, so your anecdote is irrelevant to the discussion.

Andrew Johnson was a tailor. When he was 17 he opened his own shop.

Thank god the liberals have taken steps to assure that something this tragic never happens again! We now have child labor laws to insure that no 17 year old knows anything useful that he can use to earn money. We have compulsory education laws to ensure that every 17 year old is well endoctrinated. And of course we have OSHA, and the EPA making sure no one just opens a business without going through great hardships. God bless the liberals!

Forum List

Back