How occupy DC dealt with a table filled with job applications

My Grandfather told me that you need to crawl before you walk.
I never forgot those words, too bad these bat crazy protesters seem to think
they are entitled. Who the hell taught them that?

the system is broken

Bullshit! They want entry level jobs that pay like a career job would.
The system isn't broken, the protesters just have the nanny entitlement mindset.

the system is broken

The system isn't broken, the protesters just have the nanny entitlement mindset.

^^^^that right there.

Let me share my own personal experience so you understand my opinion better

I graduated college with a degree and a good amount of student loans and my first job was for $10.25/hour @ a retailer doing things I could have done without going to college. I worked 60+ hours a week at that point in my life with a 2nd part time job at night just to be able to barely pay all my bills, never mind eat. I busted my *** for over a year and proved myself at the job and got promoted to a whopping $35,000/year salary + (50% health insurance and a 401k) position working 55 hours/week. At this point i didn't have to work the 2nd job anymore. 4 years of hard work later I was promoted to store manager at $50k/year (plus 50% health, 401k, and profit sharing/stock options). 2 years of hard work after that and I was promoted into corporate with another 20% pay increase.....I did not get along with the coroporate culture at all, made too many waves, and got let go as a result of standing on principles.

Then I decided to try something new and got some ASE (Automotive standard of excellence) training and certifications and went into working on cars. Started off here at $500.00/week @ 50 hours/week (26k/year salary with NO BENEFITS at all, yea that step down was rough). Now I'm back to my store manager level compensation with profit sharing and health insurance but no sick days, no personal days, and after 7 years I have 1 week paid vacation.

So to me, from my personal attitude toward how life is supposed to be lived and handled, I find those people saying no to decent jobs to be abhorrant and unacceptable, hence my interpretation of what I saw on the video and where my opinion stems from. To me it appears they just want to start at the top instead of having to prove themselves from the bottom.

Just heard on the news there are something like 3 million job openings in this country- a 6 year high (might have been 3 don't remember). The positions go unfilled because folks are either too stupid (high tech) or too lazy (low-paying work).

the system is broken

Precisely the point JRK was attempting to spew.
JRK sits on the fence. While claiming conservative status, JRK also advocates a government mandated 'living wage'. When presented with the facts regarding the costs of goods and services reflecting the additional capital outlay for the higher labor costs.
The other posters in support of this sudden rise in wages believe that people who do not apply themselves in improving their skill set( value to a current of prospective employer) should be paid high wages anyway. Why? They say because it's 'fair'. Or because employers owe employees the resources to fulfill their 'needs'...
B-O-L-O-G-N-A

the system is broken

^^^^that right there.

Let me share my own personal experience so you understand my opinion better

I graduated college with a degree and a good amount of student loans and my first job was for $10.25/hour @ a retailer doing things I could have done without going to college. I worked 60+ hours a week at that point in my life with a 2nd part time job at night just to be able to barely pay all my bills, never mind eat. I busted my *** for over a year and proved myself at the job and got promoted to a whopping $35,000/year salary + (50% health insurance and a 401k) position working 55 hours/week. At this point i didn't have to work the 2nd job anymore. 4 years of hard work later I was promoted to store manager at $50k/year (plus 50% health, 401k, and profit sharing/stock options). 2 years of hard work after that and I was promoted into corporate with another 20% pay increase.....I did not get along with the coroporate culture at all, made too many waves, and got let go as a result of standing on principles.

Then I decided to try something new and got some ASE (Automotive standard of excellence) training and certifications and went into working on cars. Started off here at $500.00/week @ 50 hours/week (26k/year salary with NO BENEFITS at all, yea that step down was rough). Now I'm back to my store manager level compensation with profit sharing and health insurance but no sick days, no personal days, and after 7 years I have 1 week paid vacation.

So to me, from my personal attitude toward how life is supposed to be lived and handled, I find those people saying no to decent jobs to be abhorrant and unacceptable, hence my interpretation of what I saw on the video and where my opinion stems from. To me it appears they just want to start at the top instead of having to prove themselves from the bottom.
Based on your post here I see SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more potential in your earning power. Heck you could hook up with one of the major dealerships in your areas and write your own ticket...
I have tow acquaintances who are auto techs. One works for a Dodge dealership. The other a VW dealership. They are both making 6 figures.
Another guy I know is a Porsche tech. He is just killing it.
Keep looking forward. I wish I had your knowledge and expertise.

The EU, Oz, NZ,ie rest of the modern world has a living wage, at least a 4 week paid vacation, paid parental leave, and universal health care. We have basically the same worker rights as Indonesia.Thanks Pubs!! That would be communism...

Young EU etc workers travel the world and know what's going on. By the time ours get anywhere they're bloody tourists!! LOL!! Give me your angry stupid insults...

the system is broken
Which system?
Answer the question.

the political system..it is controlled by corporations and does not represent the people....getting a job at subway is not going the change that

2011-11-08-humor-3.jpg

the system is broken
Which system?
Answer the question.

the political system..it is controlled by corporations and does not represent the people....getting a job at subway is not going the change that

start making sandwiches, become the assitant manager, become the manager, get your own subway franchise, hire a manager and staff, open a second franchise, hire a manager and staff.

Or be lazy and make excuses of why you aren't willing to work hard for 10 years before you get to the good stuff.

Nationally there are four people looking for every one job. In my office we hire a lot of seasonal employees and have 15-20 apps for every one job.

So, is this supposed to be an excuse for not filling out an application?

No, it is anecdotal evidence that this video is edited, cherry picked, horse pucky.
No...You're just pissed off because the OWS people have been exposed as a bunch of freeloaders.
I heard it and saw it....."we don't do that".. "We won't work there".
"how am I supposed to pay my bills with that?"....
You're saying the video was altered and these people never said any of those things?
Go ahead and give that your best shot there witchy...
Why any working producing person would support people who are looking to take from them is a mystery?

Which system?
Answer the question.

start making sandwiches, become the assitant manager, become the manager, get your own subway franchise, hire a manager and staff, open a second franchise, hire a manager and staff.

Or be lazy and make excuses of why you aren't willing to work hard for 10 years before you get to the good stuff.

I am reasonable well off and only work when it interest me...working my way up the subway corporate ladder will do nothing to change the corruption of Washington and wall street

Forum List

Back