how many

Johnney

Dec 9, 2003
IOWA
are into web design? and im not talking about using stuff like geocities templates.
and who can do scripting of any type?

Originally posted by Johnney
are into web design? and im not talking about using stuff like geocities templates.
and who can do scripting of any type?

I'm still learning, and don't really know any scripting at all. I can get around in editing html and php but that's about it. I use Dreamweaver and Frontpage for my html editing.

i cant do much in the way of scripting either. what i use i find on the net. then i modify it to where i want it.

i start out hard coding, then move to an editor. i like front page for the ease, but it puts alot of garbage into the code. dreamweaver though is pretty good.

when i published the page for the city of preston iowa the guy was strange to say the least. i know its a small town adn all, but damn!
the guy gave me what he wanted to have for the city page, no prob.
then he kept changing the format. it ended up like this . i think he could have supplied me with accurate information too. if you notice the pic on the main page vs. the paragraph inderneath. the sign is wrong, but he wanted the pic up there.
i wasnt too happy about it, seeings as how it was my first paid job. but i seen the page this guy had for one of the business' in town.... you ever seen a web page with 5 windows in it? it was horrible. but the thing that got me was the back buttons in the business section. they dont flow with the rest of the design of the site.
but hey, he whined that he wanted it like that, so he got it.

Jonney,

Just a suggestion comming from a corporate perspective. Don't go too crazy with scripting. Try and avoid it as much as possible, use more dynamic HTML and server side scripting if you can. Java, Javascript, vbscript are great tools when used properly, but because of increased malicious scripts floating around, many corps and for that matter end users are starting to turn off scripting or running script filters, not to mention that not all browers are created equal when it comes to scripting. The last thing you want is the CEO of a company you did work for to not be able to use his site, take it from me this has happend to us, and it is not a pretty picture. If you insist or have to use them, make sure you write your html code so that if scripting is turned off or filtered the web pages still display properly. We find that most things people want to accomplish with scripts (but of course not all) can be done with DHTML, PHP, Pearl, ColdFusion, Asp, try and use these technologies first !!!!

I have been there and I offer you this tip to help you not make the same mistakes that I did !:)

on an actual job i wouldnt use it unless i got it ok'd, but creating for practice is something else.
i think the worse thing about my school was they teach you basic html, of course, but that is about it unless you go into programming.
php was for my ecommerce class, and the script was provided, you had to incorporate it into the page. my instructors attitude was you can ask me anything but how to do it. which was cool seeing as how some of them tell you how to do it then show you how to do it.
but as for advanced html languages, not here. been pickin things up on my own for the most part.

i like to use painshop for pics. also use flash mx. its how i made the opening for the preston page. it was basic becasue it was actually the first time i used flash at that time.

Forum List

Back