How effective is John Kerry as Secretary of State ?

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Yesterday Kerry made the rounds on the Sunday talk shows blasting Putin and his 'brazen act of agression' but took no action.....Kerry said "this is a time for diplomacy"....

the Russian response of course is very negative.....before Kerry arrives in Ukraine to weild his magical wand of diplomacy...

Mr Kerry, who is set to visit Kiev on Tuesday to meet the new leadership, warned Russia on Sunday that it risked exclusion from the Group of Eight nations and faced possible sanctions for sending troops into Ukraine's southern Crimea region.

In a statement on its website Russia's foreign ministry said:

"We consider the threats against Russia made in a series of public statements by US Secretary of State John Kerry over the latest events in Ukraine and in Crimea to be unacceptable,"

Moscow accused Kerry of relying on "Cold War cliches", saying that he had not bothered to understand the complex processes taking place in Ukrainian society.

Kerry failed to "objectively assess the situation that is continuing to deteriorate after the forcible seizure of power in Kiev by radical extremists," the ministry said.

It accused the United States and its allies of turning a blind eye to the "rampant Russophobia and anti-Semitism" of the opposition protesters who took power in Kiev.

"The West's allies now are outright neo-Nazis who wreck Orthodox churches and synagogues," the ministry said.

Ukraine live - Telegraph

The GOP says John Kerry is making the U.S. look weak....

But House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers said the White House’s ongoing response to the entire situation only gives Mr. Putin the upper hand.

“[Putin‘s] running circles around us,” Mr. Rogers said, during a “Fox News Sunday” appearance reported by the New York Post. “Putin is playing chess and I think we are playing marbles, and I don’t think it’s even close.”

He said the Obama administration ought to take strong action and boot Russia from the G8. Meanwhile, Congress could start drumming up some sanctions against Russia, he suggested, the New York Post reported.

Read more: GOP to John Kerry, Obama: You make U.S. look 'weak' to world - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

You gotta ask yourself if global warming is a bigger threat to the world than terrorism or military aggression. If the answer is yes than Kerry is your guy.

You gotta ask yourself if global warming is a bigger threat to the world than terrorism or military aggression. If the answer is yes than Kerry is your guy.

lol......maybe Kerry is going to call for cap 'n trade in Ukraine....while he works on gun control...

Clinton was weak, Kerry is even weaker. but thats the democratic bench for you

John Kerry said Putin is using 19th Century tactics in the 21st Century....(i.e. ground forces)

Lurch then says....'you just don't do that'.....

:lol:

he's as hillarious as Hillary....

”You just don’t invade another country on phony pretext in order to assert your interests.”

Last edited:
Yesterday Kerry made the rounds on the Sunday talk shows blasting Putin and his 'brazen act of agression' but took no action...
What action do you suggest he should have taken? What action would you have taken? Please be specific with your answers to these two questions.

Yesterday Kerry made the rounds on the Sunday talk shows blasting Putin and his 'brazen act of agression' but took no action...
What action do you suggest he should have taken? What action would you have taken? Please be specific with your answers to these two questions.

Kerry should have kept his big mouth off the talk shows imo....it didn't help matters...

i would rather Obama immediately responded instead....and pointedly pulled the Sochi G8 off the table himself.....and then sent his diplomat Kerry to Ukraine for further discussion.....instead of to the TV talk shows...

(but that wouldn't fit Obama's agenda...he's a paper tiger on purpose imo...)

Last edited:
As effective as his President, since he serves at the Presidents pleasure.

true....but in this case Obama could have really embarrassed Putin around the world after his 50 billion 'civilized nice guy' display in Sochi....

but i guess that is something only somebody like Reagan could pull off...

true....but in this case Obama could have really embarrassed Putin around the world after his 50 billion 'civilized nice guy' display in Sochi....

Reagan would have already had a nationally(therefore globally) televised oval office announcement loudly berating Putin and calling for world action to deny the Russians Ukraine and would have already called his bluff.

Kerry should have kept his big mouth off the talk shows imo....it didn't help matters...

i would rather Obama immediately responded instead....and pointedly pulled the Sochi G8 off the table himself.....and then sent his diplomat Kerry to Ukraine for further discussion.....instead of to the TV talk shows...

What was your position on President Carter's boycott of the Olympics due to Soviet aggression in Afghanistan?

Almost ever wingnut was against it.

Reagan would have already had a nationally(therefore globally) televised oval office announcement loudly berating Putin and calling for world action to deny the Russians Ukraine and would have already called his bluff.

And when the world collectively says "We believed you when you said Saddam was an imminent threat - why should we believe you now?".

What would Present-Day Reagan have done then? You know, as long as we are making shit up about what dead presidents would or would not do . . .

What was your position on President Carter's boycott of the Olympics due to Soviet aggression in Afghanistan?

I know you didn't ask me, but...

I for one think any boycott of the Olympics, any Olympics, is bullshit. It does nothing but penalize the athletes.

But then again, I'm not a "wingnut."

I for one think any boycott of the Olympics, any Olympics, is bullshit. It does nothing but penalize the athletes.

This is true - you are not a wingnut.

But you're not seriously denying that the Right-Wing has been criticizing Carter's boycott decision for 35 years, are you?

So that means you were against it?

Edward Kennedy (the far left) criticized Carter for doing so, so I guess you far lefties are the wing nuts you describe. Oh wait far left revisionist history will not allow you to acknowledge your side as the wing nuts.

Then again Kennedy (the far left) was challenging Carter for the presidency.

But you're not seriously denying that the Right-Wing has been criticizing Carter's boycott decision for 35 years, are you?

The wing nut is you!

Dude, Carter is a gift for all Presidents who follow him, if we're being honest.

But you are correct, he has been a familiar target for the right nutters since he took office in '77. The right has Carter, sometimes Clinton. The left has Bush, sometimes Reagan.

Not bad for a one term President...

The right has Carter, sometimes Clinton. The left has Bush, sometimes Reagan. Seems it's evening out... Damn shame folks can't stop pointing to the past and instead focus on the now... Hell, I used to be guilty of it myself from time to time a while back...

Forum List

Back