Lois Lerner to take the 5th. Again.

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
With Ukraine pushing everythig else off the news page I thought I'd post this. Seems Issa's committee has subpoena'ed Lois Lerner for a second chat. Conflicting evidence on whether she will testify or take the 5th. Issa says the committee now has information that suggests she ought to testify. I wonder what that is. I wonder why, if there was nothing incriminating going on, she is taking the 5th.
Will Lois Lerner testify before the House Oversight Committee? - CBS News

You are free to wonder, and she has a right to do so.

You have a right to post stupid nonsense here. That doesnt mean it is the right thing to do.

No, Lerner is hiding something. Something big. SOmething she could go to jail for. So we need to ask what and why.

"it's not the crime, it's the cover up". Smart move by Lerner. She is going to need it. When will politicians learn that the IRS is not to be used as a weapon to punish your enemies.

You have a right to post stupid nonsense here. That doesnt mean it is the right thing to do.

No, Lerner is hiding something. Something big. SOmething she could go to jail for. So we need to ask what and why.
And you are free to ask, she just doesn't have to answer. Maybe she knows the very best advice out there to never, ever, talk with the cops unless you absolutely have to. Whatever you say can be used against you but nothing you say will be used to help you. It's a one-way street, even the cop in this video agrees.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc]Dont Talk to Police - YouTube[/ame]

When Issa trots out the evidence he has against her she will be looking at a long prison sentence. So she would be better off cooperating now.
But nice to see you admit she is a criminal.

If she comes before Congress again before she says a word I would tell her if she makes a speech or opening statement she has waived her right to plead the fifth.

I've wondered about this. The 5th amendment says no witness can be compelled to testify against himself in court. It doesn't say, "Unless he first starts doing it and then stops and say he doesn't want to any more, then he CAN be compelled to keep talking".

Sounds to me like Lerner can give all the opening speeches she wants, and then clam up and not say a further word, and she is protected for doing so by the 5th.

Any other interpretation of the 5th, as written, seems a lot less likely to me.

She's unquestionably a scumbag who knows where the bodies are buried. But even guilty scumbags are protected by the 5th, like it or not. And creative "interpretations" to change that, are illegal.

If she comes before Congress again before she says a word I would tell her if she makes a speech or opening statement she has waived her right to plead the fifth.

I've wondered about this. The 5th amendment says no witness can be compelled to testify against himself in court. It doesn't say, "Unless he first starts doing it and then stops and say he doesn't want to any more, then he CAN be compelled to keep talking".

Sounds to me like Lerner can give all the opening speeches she wants, and then clam up and not say a further word, and she is protected for doing so by the 5th.

She's unquestionably a scumbag who knows where the bodies are buried. But even guilty scumbags are protected by the 5th, like it or not. And creative "interpretations" to change that, are illegal.
Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

Pretty good. The best advice, don't say a word, ever. Those out to get you will use whatever you say against you.

Why am I not surprised that litte Housepainter, who joined this forum one week ago today and has already posted more than 1,000 posts on it defending the Obamanites' incompetence and lawbreaking, is the first to praise my post pointing out that even liars and scumbags like Lois Lerner have 5th amendment rights?

BTW, the best advice is NOT "don't say a word". The best advice is, "Obey the law, it's there for a reason".

But I somehow doubt that little Housepainter supports that at all, when it comes to Obama and his fellow travelers.

(reference: Go to http://www.usmessageboard.com/members/paintmyhouse.html , click on "Statistics")

Last edited:

Especially when you're a criminal.

Why am I not surprised that litte Housepainter, who joined this forum one week ago today and has already posted more than 1,000 posts on it defending the Obamanites' incompetence and lawbreaking, is the first to praise my post pointing out that even liars and scumbags like Lois Lerner have 5th amendment rights?

BTW, the best advice is NOT "don't say a word". The best advice is, "Obey the law, it's there for a reason".

But I somehow doubt that little Housepainter supports that at all.
I have no issues with obeying the law, for the most part, but that's not what we were discussing.

Lois knows who held the smoking gun. This is Kabuki Theater while she negotiates her price for it.

The Fox News moderator, Chris Wallace, quoted the report by the Republicans on Issa's committee, which said that Lerner "was keenly aware of acute political pressure to crack down on conservative-leaning organizations." Who put this pressure on Lerner?

ISSA: That's one of our questions. She says things like they put pressure. So e-mails indicate that there was pressure. We don't know whether it was the president shaking his fingers at the House, the Senate, and the Supreme Court over Citizens United or whether it was...

WALLACE: During the State of the Union Address?

ISSA: During the State of the Union, where she felt the pressure. Only she can tell us where she thought that pressure was.

WALLACE: The report also cites a newly discovered e-mail from September 16th, 2010, in which Lerner discusses how to check whether groups seeking tax exempt status are engaged in improper political activity. This is an e-mail to other people in the IRS. And she says, quote, "We need to have a plan. We need to be caution so it isn't a per se political project." What do you think that e-mail shouts?

Althouse: Who put "acute political pressure" on Lois Lerner "to crack down on conservative-leaning organizations," and why did Lerner need a "plan" to avoid "a per se political project"?

So, Who Put The Pressure On Lois?

And she can be held in contempt and put in jail until she changes her tune.
Could happen, but it usually doesn't. Contempt of Congress doesn't go very far, especially since nearly all of us hold them in contempt for not doing their jobs.

I agree with the 'not doing their jobs.' The House sends dozens of bills to the Senate where they are supposed to be debated, amended if necessary, voted up or down and sent to Committee for agreement. Their job is to pass legislation and it doesn't happen very often with Harry Ried as Majority Leader.

Only a person with something to hide takes the 5th.

Lerner obviously is hiding something very incriminating to herself, obama, or others.

If she talks she may do a Vince Foster.

Forum List

Back