How do you fell about a Space Force?

Do you support a Space Force

• Yes, of course the Military-Industrial Complex needs it

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • No, we have many more needs than another boondoggle.

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quick question.......................if we start up a Space Force, will they have jurisdiction in space over other countries? Because other countries can stop us from overflights of their countries, I'm just wondering if the same thing goes for space?
If this really is a serious question...

No one has jurisdiction beyond 100 km by the furthest definition of airspace. While there is no actual agreement or international standard in where airspace ends and space begins, 100 km is the largest distance that anyone has claimed. It is already clear that no one has jurisdiction over specific regions of space considering that existing satellites from virtually every major nation exist over every other nation. It is worth noting that space based weapons platforms ARE currently illegal under international laws for good reason.

So, in your opinion, only those countries who are capable of making it 100 km into space should be allowed control of space? If that is the case, then only a few countries would be able to compete for it.

And yes, it is a serious question, because if countries control the airspace above them, why can't they also have claim to the space above that?

Star Trek already answered that one with Quadrants in, Space, and Deep Space 9 ... claim and hold your quadrant, grant permission to enter a quadrant .. :04:

countries ? how many have the smarts and the money for sophisticated space programs ?

Star Trek is fantasy, not international law. And, do you think that space should only belong to the countries that are capable of getting into orbit?
Yes, I believe that space should belong to the countries that are capable of getting into orbit as it is right now. Having said that, I believe that a space force is necessary to protect our interests that are orbiting. Seems that Russia is or has developed a satellite with probable laser capabilities. This type of weapon could bring the US and our allies to their knees. We need to stay ahead or on par with other countries..........no matter who the president is. I know if this was an Obama plan the left and the media for the most part
would be all in favor of this.

Quick question.......................if we start up a Space Force, will they have jurisdiction in space over other countries? Because other countries can stop us from overflights of their countries, I'm just wondering if the same thing goes for space?

No one has jurisdiction beyond 100 km by the furthest definition of airspace. While there is no actual agreement or international standard in where airspace ends and space begins, 100 km is the largest distance that anyone has claimed. It is already clear that no one has jurisdiction over specific regions of space considering that existing satellites from virtually every major nation exist over every other nation. It is worth noting that space based weapons platforms ARE currently illegal under international laws for good reason.

So, in your opinion, only those countries who are capable of making it 100 km into space should be allowed control of space? If that is the case, then only a few countries would be able to compete for it.

And yes, it is a serious question, because if countries control the airspace above them, why can't they also have claim to the space above that?

Star Trek already answered that one with Quadrants in, Space, and Deep Space 9 ... claim and hold your quadrant, grant permission to enter a quadrant .. :04:

countries ? how many have the smarts and the money for sophisticated space programs ?

Star Trek is fantasy, not international law. And, do you think that space should only belong to the countries that are capable of getting into orbit?
Yes, I believe that space should belong to the countries that are capable of getting into orbit as it is right now. Having said that, I believe that a space force is necessary to protect our interests that are orbiting. Seems that Russia is or has developed a satellite with probable laser capabilities. This type of weapon could bring the US and our allies to their knees. We need to stay ahead or on par with other countries..........no matter who the president is. I know if this was an Obama plan the left and the media for the most part

Weaponizing space is a bad idea.

Weaponizing space is a bad idea.
So we take the high road and let Russia and China take the low road? Not saying it's a good idea, but it is necessary
in light of what's in the pipeline.
The atom bomb was a bad idea, but it was a race to get it completed first. Germany was probably not far behind

Have you guys ever heard of something called a "kinetic weapon"? Its where they take a large object made of heavy metals and launch it from low earth orbit at a target on the ground.

Basically, it's a man made meteor storm, and the impact on the ground is similar to a nuclear strike, but without all the fallout.

The Pentagon’s New Super Weapon Is Basically A Weaponized Meteor Strike

Toiling away as a Boeing operations researcher in the afterglow of the Manhattan Project and the Soviet Union’s First Lightning nuclear test in 1949, the U.S. Army veteran envisioned a weapons system armed not with munitions and other chemical explosives, but massive rods forged from heavy metals dropped from sub-orbital heights. Those “tungsten thunderbolts,” as the New York Times called them, would impact enemy strongholds below with the devastating velocity of a dino-exterminating impact, obliterating highly fortified targets — like, say, Iranian centrifuges or North Korean bunkers — without the mess of nuclear fallout.

Who thinks we do not already have one? Right now it is under the purview of the air force, kind of like how the air used to belong to the army until a separate command was created.

The question here is if space is in need of its own command or can the air force handle it along with airspace close to earth.

I don't understand the left's general dislike of space programs. Cost should be irrelevant when speaking to the left - I thought government spending was a boon for the economy and better for the country. Suddenly that is no longer the case?
I support space programs that provide a benefit and make sense

Space Force doesn’t

Speaking of a Space Force.

Russia accused of testing a 'killer satellite' in orbit
By Jamie Seidel | news.com.au
08/16/2018

It's small. It's nimble. It’s doing strange things over our heads. And Russia's new Kosmos 2521 satellite has the potential to bring the world’s economy to its knees.

“We don’t know for certain what it is and there is no way to verify it,” U.S. State Department assistant secretary Yleem Poblete told a conference this week. “But Russian intentions with respect to this satellite are unclear and are obviously a very troubling development — particularly, when considered in concert with statements by Russia’s Space Force Commander.”

She said its maneuvers indicated it could be an anti-satellite weapon.

And this has dire implications: Vital services such as the internet, television, telephone and GPS all rely on satellites. As does a swath of other services — such as weather forecasting and firefighting.

Russia accused of testing a 'killer satellite' in orbit

well no matter what China or Russia is doing,im sure we are well aware of what they are up to and whether you or i like it or not,im sure they are doing something to counter it.....

Who thinks we do not already have one? Right now it is under the purview of the air force, kind of like how the air used to belong to the army until a separate command was created.

The question here is if space is in need of its own command or can the air force handle it along with airspace close to earth.

I don't understand the left's general dislike of space programs. Cost should be irrelevant when speaking to the left - I thought government spending was a boon for the economy and better for the country. Suddenly that is no longer the case?

Space Force doesn’t
Protecting ourselves and our assets isn't a benefit? Really?:rolleyes-41:

Space Force doesn’t

Nobody is threatening our assets
Spending billions to fight imaginary threats in space is as wasteful as spending $30 billion for a wall against imaginary threats

Space Force doesn’t

Spending billions to fight imaginary threats in space is as wasteful as spending $30 billion for a wall against imaginary threats
You are really laughable, RW. Does your security clearance give this privileged information, or are you assuming you're right?
Russia's Kosmos 2521 satellite could very well be a weaponized satellite. Yet, you call that imaginary only because they haven't used
it yet. Seems you would rather react to a tragedy than be proactive in preventing a tragedy.
It's a new age, the horse and buggy has been replaced, try and catch up, dude.

I proved you wrong about our assets with my post at 307. If you sincerely believe there no threat to our assets in space, you are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

China has already done something similar to Russia, they have destroyed a satellite in space.

When Democrats were in power, why was a wall a great idea then but not when it is proposed by President Donald Trump? A wall/fence/whatever will save lives and save us billions of dollars.

I would like to build a series of self-sufficient moon bases. Then carve out big chunks of rock from the Moon and put them into orbit around the Earth.

Then secede from the Earth and threaten to bombard the planet with the chunks of rock if they attempt to force us back into the union.

I would rename the Moon. Henceforth, it would be Libertopia. A portmanteau of Libertarian Utopia.

As dictator of Libertopia, I would tax the citizens five percent and the government would only provide lunar defense and mail delivery. Roads between the lunar cities would have to be built by entrepreneurs, and they would determine the speed limits.

However, anyone driving slower in the left lane would be jailed for one revolution around the Earth. I know that's not very Libertarian, but I hate them motherfuckers with a passion.

Well, yes that is how it will pan out the same way ANY territorial control works. You can ONLY control the territory that you are able to reach and defend - that is simply a fact of life.

As technology becomes cheaper and more available, more nations will enter space. It is unlikely that there will be regional control over space for a VERY long time - more than likely longer than most of the nations on earth last. We are far from needing to control regions like that. Space is essentally open to whoever can get there and use it. That is exactly as it should be.
Because that is insane.

Does Russia control the moon when it passes over their territory? Of course not, that would be asinine.

ASM-135 ASAT - Wikipedia

The Hidden History of the Soviet Satellite-Killer

Half a century ago, on Nov. 1, 1963, the Soviet Union launched the first prototype of the "killer" satellite—what we would call today an antisatellite system, or ASAT. Officially announced as Polyot-1 (or Flight-1), this highly maneuverable spacecraft was intended to test whether the Soviets could approach an "enemy" satellite and blow it in smithereens. This mission set off a decades-long race to develop and deploy offensive weapons in space that culminated in the 1980s with Ronald Reagan's famous Star Wars program.

Stupid and costly idea.
John F Kenned called on the nation to look towards the FUTURE and reach for the stars.

The discoveries, the innovations, the advancements in so many areas, and the creations and products that his decision and our taking up the challenge to go to space led to are historic, record-setting, world-changing, and have resulted in hundreds of billions of dollars in commerce in industry...

...and there were short-sighted, unimaginative people just like you who said the exact same words you just did after hearing J F K's words.

As a result of Bill Clinton selling the Chinese U.S. missile tachnology, the Chinese now have the CURRENT capability to destroy orbiting satellites, capable of disrupting commercial and military communications and operations. And that's their CURRENT capability....

Much like JFK, President Trump is looking to the future, not at today's threats and opportunities but those we still face / those yet to come.

The reason we are the greatest nation in the world is because we have had vision, courage, and fearless LEADERS ... Not FOLLOWERS....leaders like Kennedy...and now Trump.

...and we still have short-sighted, unimaginative people who say looking to the future and leading the rest of the world is stupid and a costly idea.
We'll have no choice after this place is uninhabitable.
6KdFogW.jpg

91ea71ce6ce794324d47ad89508d455d.jpg

Space Force doesn’t

You are really laughable, RW. Does your security clearance give this privileged information, or are you assuming you're right?
Russia's Kosmos 2521 satellite could very well be a weaponized satellite. Yet, you call that imaginary only because they haven't used
it yet. Seems you would rather react to a tragedy than be proactive in preventing a tragedy.
It's a new age, the horse and buggy has been replaced, try and catch up, dude.
Russia has had ICBMs aimed at us for over 50 years
They do not attack us because they know the retaliation would be fierce

Same as our satellites

I proved you wrong about our assets with my post at 307. If you sincerely believe there no threat to our assets in space, you are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

China has already done something similar to Russia, they have destroyed a satellite in space.

When Democrats were in power, why was a wall a great idea then but not when it is proposed by President Donald Trump? A wall/fence/whatever will save lives and save us billions of dollars.

I got an idea......let’s build a Space Force and make Mexico pay for it

Forum List

Back