How detrimental are solar panels to the earth's climate

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
I noticed a video short on YouTube -

Self explanatory. So if the Sahara was to be covered in solar panels, it would effectively kill off the Amazon rain forest as these panels alter the climate.

So it kinda got me thinking. As more and more solar panels appear because they're allegedly a good thing for the planet, what adverse effect is it having on the climate. Granted that current levels of panels are miniscule to the size of the Sahara.

So have the climate alarmists ever considered the adverse effects of solar panels on the planet, or maybe more to the point, did they even realise this phenomenon?

But take the USA as an example, it 'may' be altering weather patterns or even the climate it another part of the planet, even if it's just by a tiny fraction of a degree in temperature etc.. but as more panels go up, over the decades, there could be a possibility that some country/s elsewhere could suffer, even the climate could be damaged.

solar makes no economic sense in my area for end user installations and the large scale operations are causing enough problems the county is starting to crack down on them.

There's a solar farm out in the Nevada Desert.
And something went wrong with the engineering of it. There was a slight parabelum of the landscape. Nobody paid attention to it until the birds started falling out of the sky and landing on the large 4x8 panels.

Basically they had created a huge bowl shaped black mirror. And it was cooking the birds in mid flight. I don't know how or if they fixed it.

But photovoltaic cells are usually put up on stands and framed by aluminum. Aluminum smelting creates the same taxic gasses that surround the planet Venus. Bad stuff (greenhouse gasses) that lasts longer than CO² ever dreamed about.
Photovoltaic cells are also like so many other electronic devices....they are derived from silicon. The purification of silicon involves the use of "hexethane" type solutions. A chemical compound that explodes when in contact with water, poisons the air (used in pure nitrogen environment) and deadly poison if in contact with skin. Disposal of these chemicals is also extremely hazardous. All of the purification of silicon is very nasty dirty stuff creating all kinds of hazardous waste. (China does most of the environmentally unfriendly stuff)

Pick your poison.

The Palestine museum has a roof over every row of parking spaces made of solar panels. They don't take up any land. They don't shade any plants They keep your car cool when you are parked.

Looks like a good idea.

solar makes no economic sense in my area for end user installations and the large scale operations are causing enough problems the county is starting to crack down on them.
In addition to likely and potential climate damage from panels, nitrous oxide gas given off agricultural fertilizer is about 300 times more damaging than co2, and it goes unchecked because it's ignored by climate policies.

So us deniers are sitting back watching the climate freaks of society plant and fertilize more crops to reduce cow farts and erect more climate damaging solar panels. They're damaging the ozone layer with their cranky actions.

And something went wrong with the engineering of it. There was a slight parabelum of the landscape. Nobody paid attention to it until the birds started falling out of the sky and landing on the large 4x8 panels.

Basically they had created a huge bowl shaped black mirror. And it was cooking the birds in mid flight. I don't know how or if they fixed it.

But photovoltaic cells are usually put up on stands and framed by aluminum. Aluminum smelting creates the same taxic gasses that surround the planet Venus. Bad stuff (greenhouse gasses) that lasts longer than CO² ever dreamed about.
The atmosphere of Venus
Composition
Carbon dioxide96.5 %
Nitrogen3.5 %
Sulfur dioxide150 ppm
Argon70 ppm
Water vapor20 ppm
Carbon monoxide17 ppm
Helium12 ppm
Neon7 ppm
Hydrogen chloride0.1–0.6 ppm
Hydrogen fluoride0.001–0.005 ppm

To which toxic gas were you referring?

I would argue that the amount of metal going into framing in solar PV fields is completely trivial compared to global use. I don't hear anyone complaining about aluminum use in automobiles, aircraft, buildings, furniture or any of the other millions uses for the stuff.
Photovoltaic cells are also like so many other electronic devices....they are derived from silicon. The purification of silicon involves the use of "hexethane" type solutions. A chemical compound that explodes when in contact with water, poisons the air (used in pure nitrogen environment) and deadly poison if in contact with skin. Disposal of these chemicals is also extremely hazardous. All of the purification of silicon is very nasty dirty stuff creating all kinds of hazardous waste. (China does most of the environmentally unfriendly stuff)

Pick your poison.
Hexane, not hexathane, is used in the recovery of solar panels, not their production. There is potential for pollution in the production of solar panels, but it is absolutely trivial compared to the pollution that would be caused in the acquisition and combustion of the fossil fuels they replace over their lifetime.

In addition to likely and potential climate damage from panels, nitrous oxide gas given off agricultural fertilizer is about 300 times more damaging than co2, and it goes unchecked because it's ignored by climate policies.

So us deniers are sitting back watching the climate freaks of society plant and fertilize more crops to reduce cow farts and erect more climate damaging solar panels. They're damaging the ozone layer with their cranky actions.

I definitely think they are too obsessed with killing oil--probably for political reasons (as in no probably about it. Definitely for political reasons). The reason our county is cracking down on the big solar farms is because of water quality issues. They are causing lots of soil erosion/contamination in the watersheds around them.

I definitely think they are too obsessed with killing oil--probably for political reasons (as in no probably about it. Definitely for political reasons). The reason our county is cracking down on the big solar farms is because of water quality issues. They are causing lots of soil erosion/contamination in the watersheds around them.
What political motivation would there be for killing off oil? The fossil fuel industries have been one of the biggest donors to republican candidates for decades now. And what contamination and erosion are solar farms causing?

Cracking down. My friend just leased 1400 acres of his now history almond orchard. It will be covered with solar panels.
Guess why he isn't growing almonds?

Cracking down. My friend just leased 1400 acres of his now history almond orchard. It will be covered with solar panels.
Guess why he isn't growing almonds?
Almond farming (usually done in CA) is getting too difficult and expensive. Mostly centering around water, pesticides, and fertilizers.
It isn't easy to get bees either anymore.

But mainly it's water. Avocados and citrus groves usually can get the most water because they tend to have the most money to spend to get the water. However the costs of using pesticides with all the regulations is getting increasingly difficult...same with fertilizers.
It's almost impossible to farm lettuce in CA anymore.
But wine growers tend to get what they need. (Alcoholics)

I remember the fields of cotton that used to grow in CA...same with corn, soybeans and etc.

But photovoltaic cells are usually put up on stands and framed by aluminum. Aluminum smelting creates the same taxic [sic] gasses that surround the planet Venus. Bad stuff (greenhouse gasses) that lasts longer than CO² ever dreamed about.

Pick your poison.

Are you talking about the Ivanpah facility?

Those panels on the ground are supposed to form a huge parabolic mirror. There are three of these structures, each consisting of a tower, with one of these mirrors surrounding it. The mirrors focus sunlight on to a boiler at the top of the tower.

The issue with birds is that they fly into the focused beams, and get cooked to death.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Ivanpah facility?

Those panels on the ground are supposed to form a huge parabolic mirror. There are three of these structures, each consisting of a towar, with one of these mirrors surrounding it. The mirrors focus sunlight on to a boiler at the top of the tower.

The issue with birds is that they fly into the focused beams, and get cooked to death.
No...not that one. That was an intentional parabolic mirror. This one wasn't intentional whatsoever.

This was going on 5-10yrs ago while I was up in Clarksville putting in a new snuff factory. (Kodiak and some other brands)
A bunch of guys being "Road Dogs" had either come from there or were heading out to there (years long project) to work on it. They were the ones clueing me in on the 411 about those jobs. Sure, the money was good but it was in the middle of literally nowhere. You needed a 5th wheel trailer or a bunk in a buddy's. I decided to stay home even though the warmer weather was very enticing. (Single digits in Clarksville at the time)
Some guys get frosted drag up....if there's frost on the windshield they drag up and head south until no more frost. Always work somewhere. Up north usually pays better but crappy weather. This one was out west...no perdiem but decent pay. But no lodgings were available. Kinda like a job up in oil sands Alberta Canada....that one was brutal. Lodging was $800/wk. The keystone pipeline was gonna connect....but the oil is only going to PRC. Nobody else wants that crap oil except them.

What political motivation would there be for killing off oil? The fossil fuel industries have been one of the biggest donors to republican candidates for decades now. And what contamination and erosion are solar farms causing?

What political motivation would there be for killing off oil?

Stupid greens are stupid.

Me, kill oil? Quite the opposite, solar is a waste of time, nuclear is the way forward. The alarmists feel righteous about the planet, yet their ideas damage the environment.

Forum List

Back