How badly was the environment damaged when the Nord Stream pipelines were blown up?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
It seems like an environmental disaster.

Do we have any idea what the long term impacts on the clinate will be?

In the atmosphere, the natural gas will quickly oxidize into carbon dioxide ... which was it's ultimate fate anyway ... just now someone can't run their A/C is all ... so it's a wash environmentally ...

In the atmosphere, the natural gas will quickly oxidize into carbon dioxide ... which was it's ultimate fate anyway ... just now someone can't run their A/C is all ... so it's a wash environmentally ...
Quickly oxidize? The lifespan of methane in the atmosphere is 12 years.

Quickly oxidize? The lifespan of methane in the atmosphere is 12 years.

You mean the half-life ... would you please stop lying about things people can look up and prove you're a liar ...

Either way, it would take a continuous output for methane to effect our climatic 100-year averages ... don't you eco-freaktoids claim we have 12% leakage in our gas pipelines? ... makes a few days leakage in one pipeline seem trivial ...

At least it wasn't crude oil ...

You mean the half-life ... would you please stop lying about things people can look up and prove you're a liar ...
I would not tell people they could have looked something up and then fail to actually look it up yourself. Open mouth, insert foot.

"Methane is responsible for around 30% of the rise in global temperatures since the industrial revolution, and rapid and sustained reductions in methane emissions are key to limit near-term warming and improve air quality.
Two key characteristics determine the impact of different greenhouse gases on the climate: the length of time they remain in the atmosphere and their ability to absorb energy. Methane has a much shorter atmospheric lifetime than carbon dioxide (CO2) – around 12 years compared with centuries – but absorbs much more energy while it exists in the atmosphere.
Methane also affects air quality because it can lead to ground level (tropospheric) ozone, a dangerous air pollutant. Methane leaks can also pose explosion hazards."

Either way, it would take a continuous output for methane to effect our climatic 100-year averages ... don't you eco-freaktoids claim we have 12% leakage in our gas pipelines? ... makes a few days leakage in one pipeline seem trivial ...

At least it wasn't crude oil ...
I'm not freaking out about the Nord Stream ruptures. I'm just correcting the falsehood you put out about methane in the atmosphere. And I agree that crude oil would have been worse.

Last edited:
I would not tell people they could have looked something up and then fail to actually look it up yourself. Open mouth, insert foot.

"Methane is responsible for around 30% of the rise in global temperatures since the industrial revolution, and rapid and sustained reductions in methane emissions are key to limit near-term warming and improve air quality.
Two key characteristics determine the impact of different greenhouse gases on the climate: the length of time they remain in the atmosphere and their ability to absorb energy. Methane has a much shorter atmospheric lifetime than carbon dioxide (CO2) – around 12 years compared with centuries – but absorbs much more energy while it exists in the atmosphere.
Methane also affects air quality because it can lead to ground level (tropospheric) ozone, a dangerous air pollutant. Methane leaks can also pose explosion hazards."

I'm not freaking out about the Nord Stream ruptures. I'm just correcting the falsehood you put out about methane in the atmosphere. And I agree that crude oil would have been worse.

Meh ... I've come up with 9.7 years from this paper,"Fugitive Methane and the Role of Atmospheric Halflife" -- Muller/Muller -- May 22nd, 2017 ...

I guess that only matters if you understood "halflife" ... which apparently you don't ... chemical decay is remarkably similar to radioactive decay ... the whole notion of this methane decomposing completely in twelve years is farcical ... read the paper, I learn a lot, you will too ... methane doesn't react with atmospheric oxygen like I said ... what a pisser ...

1/8 of this release will still be in the atmosphere 29.1 years from now ... 1/(2^n) where n = halflives ...

Meh ... I've come up with 9.7 years from this paper,"Fugitive Methane and the Role of Atmospheric Halflife" -- Muller/Muller -- May 22nd, 2017 ...

I guess that only matters if you understood "halflife" ... which apparently you don't ... chemical decay is remarkably similar to radioactive decay ... the whole notion of this methane decomposing completely in twelve years is farcical ... read the paper, I learn a lot, you will too ... methane doesn't react with atmospheric oxygen like I said ... what a pisser ...

1/8 of this release will still be in the atmosphere 29.1 years from now ... 1/(2^n) where n = halflives ...
Sorry to disappoint you but I understand half life and the behavior of CH4 and how it differs from CO2 in the atmosphere. The problem here is your use of the phrase "quickly oxidize" back in post #3 without the slightest effort at quantification. I appreciate that you looked it up and have now put up better info.

what's the temperature of 30% methane?

Forum List

Back