How Are Catholics Christians?

Watching some local Catholic channels' kids program earlier today, it had some cartoony angels reciting the Rosary and some other things I wasn't familar with. I got to thinking, how is directing prayer to Mary not violating the 1st Commandment? Makes sense if you're a cult, but not the largest Christian denomination in the world, didn't anyone notice? :)

They also worship a Pope. This is one of the reasons us Greek Orthodox Christians split from the Catholic Church.

Nobody "worshps" the fucking Pope.

Sure they do. He's even infallible remember?

Hey remember me? We tangled in the Atheism threads. You'd do all of us Atheists a favor if you first learned about the religions that you're criticizing. You make Atheists look like giant gaping assholes when you start criticizing something you don't know about.

He's not infallible, he's infallible on Church doctrine. This means that when the Pope declares that homosexuality is a sin, he's speaking with the authority of god and therefore that is the position that all Catholics must assume in order to be in communion with the Catholic faith. If someone asks the Pope whether it will be sunny tomorrow the Pope has no more clue than you or me, for predicting the weather has nothing to do with Catholic doctrine.

Sorry but you are wrong. Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error.

So you are now saying he's only infallible when it comes to church doctine? Probably because you guys don't like some of the stuff the new pope is saying.

You don't help your case by linking to individual definitions for "dogma," "the Pope" and the "Catholic Church" and then making up your own definition for Papal Infallibility. Why not go to the Wikipedia definition of Papal Infallibility instead of dancing around it. Here it is:

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "When, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church."​

Lets just focus on this part "the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error"

So when the Pope covered up child molesters and shipped those priests off to other parishes where they could molest more children, was that concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church?

Was he right about Capitalism? I seem to agree with him on that one. But infallible??? No one is.

As Pogo already explained, Capitalism has nothing to do with this debate.

Child molestation was not, and is not, Church doctrine. There is a difference between an administrative decision and a doctrinal decision.

For this child molestation issue to be doctrinal, the Pope would have had to declare child molestation to be a core belief of all Catholics, a practice encouraged by God, and a practice one must engage in to be considered a good Catholic, to be one of the flock.

Doesn't it strike you as a bit absurd that you barged into this debate, took a position and then argued from ignorance and now both Pogo and I have to explain these simple things to you? Can you see how that makes Atheists look bad? Do you also barge into gardening debates and tell gardeners that the best way to grow vegetables is to drench their garden plot in motor oil? Knowing the topic you're debating is a definite plus.

So the whole Pope is infallible thing is malarky basically?

Because then all they are saying then is that this is infallible:

Art. 1 We believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth.
Art. 2 We believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord.
Art. 3 We believe Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary.
Art. 4 We believe Jesus Christ suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.(Give you this one)
Art. 5 We believe Jesus Christ descended to the dead and on the third day, rose again.(REALLY?)
Art. 6 We believe Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty.
Art. 7 We believe Jesus Christ shall come to judge the living and the dead.
Art. 8 We believe in the Holy Spirit.(Never really understood this one)
Art. 9 We believe in the Holy Catholic Church and the Communion of Saints.(Really?)
Art. 10 We believe in the forgiveness of sins.
Art. 11 We believe in the resurrection of the body.
Art. 12 We believe in life everlasting.

And I see why they would have to say the Church/Pope is infallible because this is all too much to believe. But I'm glad to see one of their core beliefs isn't hell to all non Catholics. Or is it?

Watching some local Catholic channels' kids program earlier today, it had some cartoony angels reciting the Rosary and some other things I wasn't familar with. I got to thinking, how is directing prayer to Mary not violating the 1st Commandment? Makes sense if you're a cult, but not the largest Christian denomination in the world, didn't anyone notice? :)

They also worship a Pope. This is one of the reasons us Greek Orthodox Christians split from the Catholic Church.

Hey remember me? We tangled in the Atheism threads. You'd do all of us Atheists a favor if you first learned about the religions that you're criticizing. You make Atheists look like giant gaping assholes when you start criticizing something you don't know about.

He's not infallible, he's infallible on Church doctrine. This means that when the Pope declares that homosexuality is a sin, he's speaking with the authority of god and therefore that is the position that all Catholics must assume in order to be in communion with the Catholic faith. If someone asks the Pope whether it will be sunny tomorrow the Pope has no more clue than you or me, for predicting the weather has nothing to do with Catholic doctrine.

Sorry but you are wrong. Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error.

So you are now saying he's only infallible when it comes to church doctine? Probably because you guys don't like some of the stuff the new pope is saying.

1. "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

3. "We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context...We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel."

4. "Just as the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say "thou shalt not" to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills. How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?"

5. "Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system."

"only infallible concerning church doctrine" has always been the case. It ain't new. And none of these statements fits that definition. Not a one.

Give me some examples that would? What are a couple things he could say that are not already pre written statements.

Can he say whatever he wants?

This question makes no sense. You're asking if the Pope has writers? Like Conan O'Brien? :dunno:

"What would" would be -- again, this is not that deep--- how the Third Commandment is to be interpreted or what exemptions might be allowed in Easter duty. Things that have to do with how the religion works.

back to the Op. Because Catholics do not believe fully in Jesus' finished work on Calvary, they are not true Believer's. They add to His finished/perfect sacrifice by adding man made false traditions and other legalism to the Gospel. And do not forget the RCC Catechism. Tradition and the Bible cannot be at the same level. The Bible has to be alone and first.

You don't help your case by linking to individual definitions for "dogma," "the Pope" and the "Catholic Church" and then making up your own definition for Papal Infallibility. Why not go to the Wikipedia definition of Papal Infallibility instead of dancing around it. Here it is:

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church that states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "When, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church."​

Lets just focus on this part "the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error"

So when the Pope covered up child molesters and shipped those priests off to other parishes where they could molest more children, was that concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church?

Was he right about Capitalism? I seem to agree with him on that one. But infallible??? No one is.

As Pogo already explained, Capitalism has nothing to do with this debate.

Child molestation was not, and is not, Church doctrine. There is a difference between an administrative decision and a doctrinal decision.

For this child molestation issue to be doctrinal, the Pope would have had to declare child molestation to be a core belief of all Catholics, a practice encouraged by God, and a practice one must engage in to be considered a good Catholic, to be one of the flock.

Doesn't it strike you as a bit absurd that you barged into this debate, took a position and then argued from ignorance and now both Pogo and I have to explain these simple things to you? Can you see how that makes Atheists look bad? Do you also barge into gardening debates and tell gardeners that the best way to grow vegetables is to drench their garden plot in motor oil? Knowing the topic you're debating is a definite plus.

So the whole Pope is infallible thing is malarky basically?

It's malarkey as regards how logic works. But it's also true that it really is part of church doctrine.

Because then all they are saying then is that this is infallible:

Art. 1 We believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth.
Art. 2 We believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord.
Art. 3 We believe Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary.
Art. 4 We believe Jesus Christ suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.(Give you this one)
Art. 5 We believe Jesus Christ descended to the dead and on the third day, rose again.(REALLY?)
Art. 6 We believe Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty.
Art. 7 We believe Jesus Christ shall come to judge the living and the dead.
Art. 8 We believe in the Holy Spirit.(Never really understood this one)
Art. 9 We believe in the Holy Catholic Church and the Communion of Saints.(Really?)
Art. 10 We believe in the forgiveness of sins.
Art. 11 We believe in the resurrection of the body.
Art. 12 We believe in life everlasting.

And I see why they would have to say the Church/Pope is infallible because this is all too much to believe. But I'm glad to see one of their core beliefs isn't hell to all non Catholics. Or is it?

I have no idea what that list is or where you're going with whatever that question is.

How does this in any way relate to the topic?

back to the Op. Because Catholics do not believe fully in Jesus' finished work on Calvary, they are not true Believer's. They add to His finished/perfect sacrifice by adding man made false traditions and other legalism to the Gospel. And do not forget the RCC Catechism. Tradition and the Bible cannot be at the same level. The Bible has to be alone and first.

What in the wide world of all that is holey are you babbling about? This is completely incoherent.

What in the wide world of all that is holey are you babbling about? This is completely incoherent.

did you read the thread title? ARE CATHOLICS CHRISTIANS? the answer is no, for some of the reasons I listed...

did you read the thread title? ARE CATHOLICS CHRISTIANS? the answer is no, for some of the reasons I listed...

Are mothers women? No, not by your standards.

You didn't list "reasons" -- you listed a ramble of incohate disjointed enigma.

"do not believe in Jesus' finished work on Calvary"....
"add to his finished blah blah by adding man made false traditions"...
"legalism"...
"do not forget the RCC Catechism"...
"tradition and bible cannot be at the same level"

There's no point made in any of that. Is English your fifth language?

:cuckoo:

Catholics are Christians. The original ones in fact. Period, end of story, world without end, amen.

You didn't list "reasons" -- you listed a ramble of incohate disjointed enigma.

"do not believe in Jesus' finished work on Calvary"....
"add to his finished blah blah by adding man made false traditions"...
"legalism"...
"do not forget the RCC Catechism"...
"tradition and bible cannot be at the same level"

There's no point made in any of that. Is English your fifth language?

:cuckoo:

Catholics are Christians. The original ones in fact. Period, end of story, world without end, amen.

actually, if you did a true study on the Nt, you will see Peter was never in Rome and Jesus was talking about Himself when He said I will build this Church on the Rock. Jesus is the rock. Peter was agreeing with Jesus.

Whatever.
snore.gif

For centuries Catholics, like Muslims and Jews, didn't pray to statues or paintings. Priests got married and Jesus was not the son of God. Some Popes and Cardinals changed those things.

The Catholic answer would be that you're not praying TO Mary, but asking for her intercession with God. Just as statues aren't idols that are prayed to, but objects of veneration to focus prayer.

I'm a Catholic married to a Pagan.

I once asked her "who was Jesus".

Her reply... "just a man".

And I saw the truth of it.

This shit-fly soup is all good.

You just gotta roll with it.

Damn, how I love being alive.

Ha- ha ha ha,

bein' alive

bein' alive...

Forum List

Back