How About This Voter ID Alternative?

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Electronic Poll Roster Suggested as Voter ID Alternative

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie say they have found an alternative to the voter identification push at the state Capitol, unveiling an electronic roster system that would utilize the photographs that are already in the state's file system instead of a physical ID.

"There are 84,000 people who don't carry a photo ID -- don’t' need it, but their photo could be inside of the system and right there," Ritchie said. "The individual who simply lost their wallet -- or had their wallet stolen, their photo is inside the system."

Ritchie says this alternative would eliminate the need for voters to present an ID at the polls.

No problem but why is this any different than a voter ID law or, more important, it should be in addition to a voter ID law. Like an alternative. If you don't want a voter ID, you can get in the system and we can identify you this way...

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie say they have found an alternative to the voter identification push at the state Capitol, unveiling an electronic roster system that would utilize the photographs that are already in the state's file system instead of a physical ID.

"There are 84,000 people who don't carry a photo ID -- don’t' need it, but their photo could be inside of the system and right there," Ritchie said. "The individual who simply lost their wallet -- or had their wallet stolen, their photo is inside the system."

Ritchie says this alternative would eliminate the need for voters to present an ID at the polls.

I thought of ID issued at registration, this is better. Great idea.

I like it too. I'd be more enthused if they made it a fingerprint match interface if we're going high-tech with the effort. Then again, the idea of the usually very ancient poll worker trying to call up your prints makes me chuckle. Not a bad idea.

It needs to positively confirm the person presenting the Voter Registration Card is who the card says he or she is.

It needs to be provided at no direct cost to the voter; elsewise it's a poll tax

No problem but why is this any different than a voter ID law or, more important, it should be in addition to a voter ID law. Like an alternative. If you don't want a voter ID, you can get in the system and we can identify you this way...
Or if you don't drive, misplaced the ID, or lost it.

I like it too. I'd be more enthused if they made it a fingerprint match interface if we're going high-tech with the effort. Then again, the idea of the usually very ancient poll worker trying to call up your prints makes me chuckle. Not a bad idea.

It needs to positively confirm the person presenting the Voter Registration Card is who the card says he or she is.

It needs to be provided at no direct cost to the voter; elsewise it's a poll tax
FINGERPRINTS now?

Yeah we should all just let the government keep our fingerprints and DNA on file.

NOT

Yeah we should all just let the government keep our fingerprints and DNA on file.

NOT
AGREED!

I thought of ID issued at registration, this is better. Great idea.

I'm 77 years old. I registered to vote the first time in 1955. What about folks who have long since registered with their election commission.

Seems like a lot of effort and expense when most people have a driver's license or state ID all ready. These IDs are for other purposes too and don't represent a direct cost due to an election. Preventing fraud is a reasonable expectation of folks who are voting. Often in society we as law abiding citizens are forced to make efforts, because of those who would break the law.

Seems like a lot of effort and expense when most people have a driver's license or state ID all ready. These IDs are for other purposes too and don't represent a direct cost due to an election. Preventing fraud is a reasonable expectation of folks who are voting. Often in society we as law abiding citizens are forced to make efforts, because of those who would break the law.
Compare the cost of the various state laws restricting the CONSTITUTIONAL right to vote with the cost of respecting the CONSTITUTION.

The cross-referenced registration card is enough, everything else is political - not many cameras in 1776 ...

We have voter registration already. The question is how do you accomplish that and verify the person is who they say they are and registered. Personally I think showing you give a damn about the country enough to get registered is a minimum expectation.

Let's make it clear, you're worried about entitlement folks getting a vote, yet militiary personnel get screwed election after election. Nice.

0400742317562618.JPG.9007260510063201

Actually a fingerprint biometric identification system wouldn't be hard to put together with existing off the shelf technology.

Background:

I work in Human Resources for an organization with thousands of employees. About 3-years ago we moved from manual timesheets to KRONOS Time and Attendance. The core of the system is (a) Database software that tracks employee time and attendance, (b) Time Clocks, and (c) Biometric add on function. The software of course is geared to the business function of time and attendance information that is then downloaded into Oracle Payroll to track time off for exempt/non-exempt employees and for time and attendance for hourly employees. The employee "punches in" in one of two methods: Swipe their ID card through the clock reader, enter their PIN, and then provide biometric identification or enter their employee ID into the clock, enter their PIN and then provide biometric identification.

When the employee is hired they are "registered" with the system. Information transferred from the Human Resources system (Name, Assignment, Schedule, Employee ID, etc.). The person biometric signature is then registered with the system. Biometric registration consists of registering two different fingers (usually one from each hand) with the system.

The system DOE NOT store an image of the fingerprint. What happens is that a complex mathematical analysis is done of the fingerprint resulting in a numerical result, this result is then encrypted. There is no image of the fingerprint stored in the system. When an employee clocks in, their fingerprint is then read to determine the mathematical result, this is then compared with the stored result to verify identification. The system has no need to try to read thousand of different records because the employee ID is supplied (either through magnetic strip or RFID) by swiping the card or through punching their EE ID - and the result of the biometric read compared with a single stored result.

Voting:

This type of system could be readily adapted to biometic voter identification and the operation of the system would be very easy on voting day.

The following steps would be needed:
1. Modify/develop the core software from time and attendence to simply voter registration tracking.
2. Modify/develop readers to replace the clocks (simplify the interface) to one button operation so the voter hits "Start", enters their Voter Identification number.
3. Register biometric identification at time of registration​

Once the voter registration records have been updated so each person has a Voter ID and an encrypted mathematical result on record:
1. Voter checks in with welcome desk.
2. Voter directed to voting booth.
3. Voter hits "Start".
4. System prompts for Voter ID number, Voter enters the number and hits "Continue".
5. System prompts the voter to place finger on reader.
6. System scans and compares the displayed finger to the stored result.
7. System accepts or rejects the result.
8. If accepted the voting clerk directs the person to the next step to actually vote.​

A secondary process would need to be in place (just as there is today) for provisional ballots for those that may have not been properly registered, have had their hands damaged through an accident, etc.

Again, the system DOES NOT store fingerprint images but yet provides a biometric comparison. The system is almost instantaneous in it's identification because it not trying to "scan" thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of entries to find a match because it is comparing a specific voter to a specific stored result - that makes it very fast.

>>>>

Last edited:
militiary personnel get screwed election after election.
Yes, absentee ballots are sent out late, thus returned late. MORE funding for the local supervisor of elections would help. NOT A CHANCE IN FLORIDA.

Forum List

Back