Freedom of Expression, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mac1958, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,509
    I see that comedian Louis C.K. has dropped out of his appearance at the Congressional Correspondents dinner, after Greta Van Susteren complained about him. This, in the wake of the Rush Limbaugh "slut" firestorm.

It's sad to see what is becoming of this country, and I definitely feel like a lone voice. I was under the impression that, in America, you don't shut people up, you don't shut people down, simply for words they use. I thought the First Amendment was one of the most important parts of our amazing Constitution.

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, isn't about words you like. It's about words you DON'T like, even those that scare you.

Evidently I'm wrong.

2. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,790
    Not sure of the details. I suppose the person who complained about him was exercising her free speech as well, eh?

Freedom of speech protects of from laws that seek to silence us. It doesn't promise us that other people will listen. Or that they'll want to.

3. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    He had no photo ID.

4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,509

If you don't want to listen, then don't listen. There are only two reasons people pull this crap: Either their tender little sensibilities will be damaged - tough shit, grow up - or they're afraid that people with agree with the words being said.

5. zeke

zeke Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,868

Seems like the times they are a changin..

I liked Habeus Corpus, but the Patriot Act took care of that.
    I liked that we didn't torture. But the Patriot Act took care of that.
    I liked that the US Guvmint wouldn't kill a US citizen without due process. But Eric Holder just took care of that.
    I liked that you couldn't be put under surveilence or wiretapped with out just cause and a warrant. But......well that is gone to.
    I liked a lot of things that we used to do and have.

In a way, the terrorists have won. They got lucky one time and we changed for the worse for all time.

The Freedom of Speech is good. But it sure would be nice if the speech was worth listening to. Listening to hate and blame and more hate, while it is great that some can do this and make millions of dollars, I don't think that is exactly what the framers had in mind.
    IMO.

6. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,509

Like I said, I'm evidently a lone voice on this. I can't believe I have to defend something so fundamental to our Constitution.

What in the world are we afraid of?

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    freedom of speech in the constitution is about the government not being able to keep you from speaking.

In our society people are allowed to say they think someone is an asshole for what they said.

why does the OP not know this?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    The first amendment is to protect us from THE GOVERNMENT trying to shut us up. The public/private sector can shut us up, anytime they wish to do so....

It has always been this way, there is "no change".....if anything, every day people have been fairly silent with this..... "F" and other vulgarities are said all over the place now....in the public, just 30 years ago, this was NEVER the case.... The Public has become MORE tolerant of other people's speech in my opinion..... only when the speaker is way off the charts and beyond the edge have the public used their own free speech to shut another person up.

9. zeke

zeke Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,868
    I guess you have some particular incident in mind?

If it is the Rush case, then the right of people to tell Rush to shut up is the same as Rush's right to spew garbage. Isn't it?

Or is the guvmint shutting Rush down?

10. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,509

Okay. It must be me. I must have a flawed understanding of this. I want to know what people -especially wackos - are thinking, what they are saying, and most importantly, who agrees with them. I can't know that if they're shut down, if they are kept in the shadows. If I disagree with someone, if I'm sure they're wrong or dangerous, I want the light shining on them for all to see.

I'm not afraid of words, because they illuminate. Nor am I afraid of having my opinion changed by words, my ego does not require me to be "right" about "everything." Seems to me that those who want to shut others down are afraid of something, and I'd love to know what it is.

Okie dokie, it's just me. Never mind then!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012