How About This Voter ID Alternative?

Now someone's all butt hurt in a rep comment. Stay on topic. What good is voting, if they don't count it anyways? Many of you seem to miss that most people don't vote, because they don't want to and that is a right was well.

Everyone will be allowed to vote regardless of ID. If they have no ID they will simply cast a provisional ballot that will be counted after their identity has been verified. Simple, fare, cheap & accurate.
If THAT is done in ALL states, there is little concern. There may be a few instances wherein poll workers turn people away. Errors will happen, that I accept.

Provisional ballots are mandated by federal law for federal elections. No state, precinct or poll worker can turn people away for not having photo ID or not being on the voter roll. They will be allowed to vote.
Provisional ballots are mandated by federal law for federal elections. No state, precinct or poll worker can turn people away for not having photo ID or not being on the voter roll. They will be allowed to vote.
That was not my experience in 2000; the registered voter with me had no DL. I did, and when an affidavit was found, I had to verify I knew the voter, the voter was a resident of the state, 18 or older, ETC. I was required to vote by provisional ballot in 2002 because my license had an address that differed slightly from the address on the rolls. one must have "their papers" in order to vote where I live, by chance, a very RED area of the state.

Everyone will be allowed to vote regardless of ID. If they have no ID they will simply cast a provisional ballot that will be counted after their identity has been verified. Simple, fare, cheap & accurate.
If THAT is done in ALL states, there is little concern. There may be a few instances wherein poll workers turn people away. Errors will happen, that I accept.

That was not my experience in 2000; the registered voter with me had no DL. I did, and when an affidavit was found, I had to verify I knew the voter, the voter was a resident of the state, 18 or older, ETC. I was required to vote by provisional ballot in 2002 because my license had an address that differed slightly from the address on the rolls. one must have "their papers" in order to vote where I live, by chance, a very RED area of the state.

See you & the person with you who had no Photo ID still got to vote. There just needs to be some way to verify who they are. A current utility bill with the name & address is fine. Provisional Ballot laws were updated after the 2000 election fiasco. Once someone with questionable ID votes provisional ballot, the elections board does research to verify their identity before they count the vote.

Last edited:
How about offering up real evidence of widespread voter fraud before alienating people without ID's?

How is asking someone to prove they are legally eligible to vote alienating them? What are we supposed to do just believe you are who you say you are?

No really I am Billy the Kid what don't you believe me?

If they are a citizen of this country... they are eligible to vote. When you apply for a voter registration card, you have to have proof of citizenship. You guys want to double down because someone on the radio told you that them "durn Libruls" are robbing yer "publican Candidates" out of 'lections... 'cause Glenn Savage Hannibaugh told yer so.

When in fact, it's voter suppression....You know it, I know it...and they know it too. Your side can't win without it.

At least that is the position that your side continually tries to slam down everyone's throats without one single thing to back it up.

There are free voter ID's available. You are given ever single opportunity possible to get one and yet that = suppression to you! That is completely asinine and YOU know it. There is no suppression as there is no suppression when I have to show my ID for a thousand other things.

Electronic Poll Roster Suggested as Voter ID Alternative

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie say they have found an alternative to the voter identification push at the state Capitol, unveiling an electronic roster system that would utilize the photographs that are already in the state's file system instead of a physical ID.

"There are 84,000 people who don't carry a photo ID -- don’t' need it, but their photo could be inside of the system and right there," Ritchie said. "The individual who simply lost their wallet -- or had their wallet stolen, their photo is inside the system."

Ritchie says this alternative would eliminate the need for voters to present an ID at the polls.

I'm ok with it.

People still need to get some kind of state ID or have the state keep an updated image of them.

run some test, work out the kinks, implement it if it works.

hell, that actually sounds better than a person looking at an id and trying to figure out if that is the same person.

How about offering up real evidence of widespread voter fraud before alienating people without ID's?

Isn't voter fraud enough? Why does it have to be widespread?
If a person has a right to vote, let him provide what it takes to be an eligible voter.

LOL!! You would have made a case back in west TN in the 40's and 50's when the racial bigots had elections rigged with a poll tax or questions on a little test they made up to keep the Blacks from even showing up in town on election day. I have a question for you. What was wrong with the voting setup which worked when Reagan was elected

The only election I've seen stolen in the last 20 years was when Bush's brother Jeb and his concubine Katherine Harris plus the supreme court screwed Al Gore...and they did give him a royal screwing.

The Republicans are a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. They know that most of their votes come from White bible thumpers and percentage wise they're losing more of them each election. Photo ID's is just another hoop for poor people and cripples to have to jump through. Basically they're losing ground in their base of voteers which have been pretty well a given and knowing that by the year 2040 White people will be a minority in the U S they're getting desperate.

How is asking someone to prove they are legally eligible to vote alienating them? What are we supposed to do just believe you are who you say you are?

If they are a citizen of this country... they are eligible to vote. When you apply for a voter registration card, you have to have proof of citizenship. You guys want to double down because someone on the radio told you that them "durn Libruls" are robbing yer "publican Candidates" out of 'lections... 'cause Glenn Savage Hannibaugh told yer so.

When in fact, it's voter suppression....You know it, I know it...and they know it too. Your side can't win without it.

You can register to vote by mail. No one asks for proof of citizenship.
the people at the polling place where you vote don't know who you are so you should have to prove it before casting a ballot.

Asking for ID does not hinder anyone's rights in any way to say it does is idiocy.

the people at the polling place where you vote don't know who you are so you should have to prove it before casting a ballot.

Asking for ID does not hinder anyone's rights in any way to say it does is idiocy.

I've learned to take any plan proposed by a Republican very seriously. I voted Republican the first 30 years of my adult life but it used to be different. I wouldn't trust one of them in a shithouse with a face mask on.

I've learned to take any plan proposed by a Republican very seriously. I voted Republican the first 30 years of my adult life but it used to be different. I wouldn't trust one of them in a shithouse with a face mask on.

I don't trust anyone who refuses to prove they are legally entitled to vote.

Isn't voter fraud enough? Why does it have to be widespread?
If a person has a right to vote, let him provide what it takes to be an eligible voter.

LOL!! You would have made a case back in west TN in the 40's and 50's when the racial bigots had elections rigged with a poll tax or questions on a little test they made up to keep the Blacks from even showing up in town on election day. I have a question for you. What was wrong with the voting setup which worked when Reagan was elected

The only election I've seen stolen in the last 20 years was when Bush's brother Jeb and his concubine Katherine Harris plus the supreme court screwed Al Gore...and they did give him a royal screwing.

The Republicans are a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. They know that most of their votes come from White bible thumpers and percentage wise they're losing more of them each election. Photo ID's is just another hoop for poor people and cripples to have to jump through. Basically they're losing ground in their base of voteers which have been pretty well a given and knowing that by the year 2040 White people will be a minority in the U S they're getting desperate.

You're an idiot, Cammpbell, if you believe that Gore actually won.
There is fraud going on and and you have your head stuck in the ground if you believe it doesn't.

Actually those sections of the Constitution don't simply say votes can't be denied based on certain charactersisticss, they say the right to vote can't be denied.

Amendment 15
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Amendment 19
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Amendment 24
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Amendment 26
The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.​

So ya, "the right of citizens of the United States to vote" is in the Constitution.

>>>>

Well kinda, sorta...but not really. Those are applicable only when the state has granted the right to vote to begin with. In reality all of them have so it's more of an academic question rather than a practical one. But lets have a closer look:

The 17th Amendment uses the word "elected" and therefore indicates voting rights in regards to the Senate:

"The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote."

Article I, Section 2 suggests voting rights in regards to the House of Representatives:

"The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States"

The language "chosen by the people" is ambiguous. All the people? Some of the people? How do the people choose? What's the process? The Constitution does not spell that out but leaves it in the hands of the individual states to determine. Indeed in the beginning, only land owners and the wealthy were afforded the right to vote. As time passed and political parties came into being each side needed more supporters and so voting rights were reluctantly extended to other groups of people, BUT those were state decisions not federal. Just as one side needed certain groups to have voting rights, the other side often wanted that group to remain "voteless". That's when the Federal government got into it and said "no you can't deny voting based upon age, gender, race, etc. If you are going to use voting as your process of choosing, you have to let those people have a vote as well".

But the key part of that is: "If you are going to use voting as your process of choosing"

Let's look at Article II, Section I which states in regard to choosing the President:

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

The 12th Amendment alters some language and says:

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;..."

So what this essentially says is that the states can decide for themselves how their electoral votes are cast. This is why Maine and Nebraska can allocate their EVs somewhat proportionally while the rest of the nation is winner take all. They have the right to make that decision for themselves.

Furthermore, any state could get a wild hare up their ass and say "you know....fuck this voting bullshit. We are just going to have the governor decide which candidate gets our EVs" and there would be no violation of the United States Constitution. Now without question there would be outrage by the people of the state and the state officials would be cutting their own political throats. The state Legislature in most cases (maybe all of them) would have to amend the state constitution, and Congress would likely immediately amend the US Constitution to stop that from happening, but as it stands now....any state could do that if they wished.

What this means is that people have the right to vote for President only if the state gives it to them, they have the right to vote for Senators, and they have the right to participate in the choosing of Representatives in whatever way the state determines.....could be a statewide game of lawn darts if they so decided and indeed some states have similar things in their voting laws. In New Mexico, for example, ties in an election are broken by a game of poker between the tied candidates.

Now again, this is purely academic since all states grant the "right to vote" to their citizens and use voting as the method for choosing their Senators, Representatives, and directing their Presidential Electors. But they don't have to do it that way and indeed the Electors do not have to cast their EV according to the results of the election. In fact, there are several examples throughout United States history where electors have ignored the results of the vote and cast their ballot the other way.

http://www.pokerpages.com/poker-news/news/game-of-poker-settles-tie-in-new-mexico-election-30535.htm

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

Last edited:
You are going to let the government store your photo because you don't want to carry an I.D.? Has the world gone crazy?

"There are 84,000 people who don't carry a photo ID -- don’t' need it, but their photo could be inside of the system and right there," Ritchie said. "The individual who simply lost their wallet -- or had their wallet stolen, their photo is inside the system."

State issued photo ID is a not issue as far as limiting someones right to vote. Even if these 84,000 people all showed up to the polls & had no ID they will all be allowed to vote provisional ballot. If the election is close enough for those votes to matter, it will not take long to check all those identities before the vote is certified.

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie say they have found an alternative to the voter identification push at the state Capitol, unveiling an electronic roster system that would utilize the photographs that are already in the state's file system instead of a physical ID.

Ritchie says this alternative would eliminate the need for voters to present an ID at the polls.

Actually I think this is an excellent alternative.

This way it wouldn't present the same "poll tax"-type issues that picture ID laws do.

Should satisfy both sides.

You are going to let the government store your photo because you don't want to carry an I.D.? Has the world gone crazy?

This is stupid on the democrats part because it will make the system even more fool proof. They won't even be able to use their fake photo ID's to vote. I hope they adopt this & shoot themselves in the foot. :lol:

I like it too. I'd be more enthused if they made it a fingerprint match interface if we're going high-tech with the effort. Then again, the idea of the usually very ancient poll worker trying to call up your prints makes me chuckle. Not a bad idea.

It needs to positively confirm the person presenting the Voter Registration Card is who the card says he or she is.

It needs to be provided at no direct cost to the voter; elsewise it's a poll tax

Yeah we should all just let the government keep our fingerprints and DNA on file.

NOT

They already do, silly. :)

State issued photo ID is a not issue as far as limiting someones right to vote. Even if these 84,000 people all showed up to the polls & had no ID they will all be allowed to vote provisional ballot. If the election is close enough for those votes to matter, it will not take long to check all those identities before the vote is certified.

Untrue.

Low income voters can ill afford to take valuable time off of work to head to the DMV and wait on lines all day to get a voter ID. If you've ever spent any time waiting on line at a DMV in a high-population area, you know exactly what I mean.

In effect, this makes a Voter ID requirement equivalent to a "poll tax", and will especially affect voter turnout in cities. Which is of course why Republicans are pushing so hard for them.

I think the OP's suggestion is an excellent one, because this effect will be done away with.

And checking identities will of course take very long amounts of time, in addition to causing all sorts of legal challenges. Look at the hanging chad debacle in Gore v Bush. That took months to resolve, and they weren't even checking actual voter identification.

Forum List

Back