CDZ How about speed limit signs that force your car to slow down using the on board computer?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
With cars that can parallel park all on their own, and brake assist to keep you from smashing into the car in front of you.....how about traffic signs that automatically force your car to obey the speed limit......? The technology is likely here already..........right?

With cars that can parallel park all on their own, and brake assist to keep you from smashing into the car in front of you.....how about traffic signs that automatically force your car to obey the speed limit......? The technology is likely here already..........right?
not gonna work in my 68 ford,,,

There is a solution for that.......it is called banning them on the road......don't think they won't do it...

if the implement this who says you would get to keep your 68 ford?

Sounds great to me. I cant wait to go to sleep and have my car wake me up when I get there.

Well if you are the police then that will not work. If your the bad guy then busted. A slow speed chase will occur?

If you try to speed up to avoid an accident, then oops to bad.

If your wife is pregnant or you going to the hospital carrying a injured person, then oops to bad

I think it is a bad idea. Still newer cars are equipment with a sensor that can read the posted speed limit and will flash that information to the driver. So that is the least invasive procedure and they can slow down or ignore it.

Sounds great to me. I cant wait to go to sleep and have my car wake me up when I get there.

That isn't the plan here. The idea is that you are going 45...the sign says 35.....it sends out a signal, and your car slows to 35........

Well if you are the police then that will not work. If your the bad guy then busted. A slow speed chase will occur?

If your wife is pregnant or you going to the hospital carrying a injured person, then oops to bad

I think it is a bad idea. Still newer cars are equipment with a sensor that can read the posted speed limit and will flash that information to the driver. So that is the least invasive procedure and they can slow down or ignore it.

To the people I am thinking about.....you are talking eggs and omelettes..........dead people never stopped them with their other ideas...

That isn't the plan here. The idea is that you are going 45...the sign says 35.....it sends out a signal, and your car slows to 35........
Of course its the plan. I have no problem with an automated road way. That way I dont have to worry about assholes running into me when I am driving.

To the people I am thinking about.....you are talking eggs and omelettes..........dead people never stopped them with their other ideas...

So if someone is injured and the car cannot go beyond the speed limit then that is a plus?

There is a solution for that.......it is called banning them on the road......don't think they won't do it...
I've been chased before,,,

We need that! I was doing 75 today on a short stretch of highway and two cars, definitely not cops, went by me like I was parked. They had to be going 110.

mine is a 67

How about hell no?

If you can't control your own vehicle take the damn bus.

The tech already exists.

I drive an 18 wheeler and its a 2019 model. It has lane departure and speed limit assist. While it doesn't FORCE your vehicle to slow, it reads the speed limit signs and if you are 5mph or more above the speed limit is displayed on your dash and your current speed is next to it with a warning "excessive speed". It will also momentarily cut the engine throttle. You can override it but it does.

It is an interesting thought experiment certainly. We have all sorts of mandated safety equipment on vehicles, so requiring this additional mandate wouldn't be particularly new or different.

It would prevent American drivers from breaking the law.....and would probably a) save lives and b) prevent Americans from getting expensive speeding tickets. So I guess the argument is that Americans should have the ability to decide to break the law, just like robbing banks.

Personally- I love the radar actuated warning signs that alert you when you are going over the speed limit. So how about a compromise- and having those speed limit signs set off an alert in your vehicle if you are speeding. Then if you get pulled over, the car just tells the officer that you ignored the alert and were aware you were speeding?

Forum List

Back