House Orders Up 3 Elite Jets; $200 Million Cost

Hell, if Nancy Pelosi can have her own personal jet, why shouldn't our overpaid, underworked Congress leeches have a few cushy jets to make those long "business" trips more comfortable...and to keep them from having to go through security lines with common taxpayers? Never mind how much food and clothing can be bought for 200 million dollars...we need those jets.

they'll just look you right in the eye and tell you it's about that three letter word.. "jobs" "jobs" "jobs".. :lol: now! don't that make you feel all better alweady?:lol:

Last year, lawmakers excoriated the CEOs of the Big Three automakers for traveling to Washington, D.C., by private jet to attend a hearing about a possible bailout of their companies.....http://www.rollcall.com/media/37552-1.html :eek:

UGH :(

Fly coach with the rest of your constituants.....are you afraid to face us and actually have to answer for all the douchebaggery you people in congress have been doing??

Have no fears about Congress misusing money. I understand they will be using these three jets to transport patients back and forth to the Mayo Clinic once the Health Care Bill is passed.:lol:

I liked this part of the story...tho, it is not the entire article:

The Air Force had asked for one Gulfstream 550 jet (price tag: about $65 million) as part of an ongoing upgrade of its passenger air service.

But the House Appropriations Committee, at its own initiative, added to the 2010 Defense appropriations bill another $132 million for two more airplanes and specified that they be assigned to the D.C.-area units that carry Members of Congress, military brass and top government officials.

Because the Appropriations Committee viewed the additional aircraft as an expansion of an existing Defense Department program, it did not treat the money for two more planes as an earmark, and the legislation does not disclose which Member had requested the additional money.

An Appropriations Committee staffer said the military was already planning to replace its passenger fleet, and the committee “looked at the request and decided they should speed up the replacement.”

The Gulfstream G550 is a luxury business jet, which the company advertises as featuring long-range flight capacity that “easily links Washington, D.C., with Dubai, London with Singapore and Tokyo with Paris.” The company’s promotional materials say, “The cabin aboard the G550 combines productivity with exceptional comfort. It features up to four distinct living areas, three temperature zones, a choice of 12 floor plan configurations with seating for up to 18 passengers.”

The version Gulfstream sells to the military is reconfigured for the government with modest accommodations, not the luxury version sold to private customers, said a source familiar with the planes.

I know the military's passenger transportation fleet is very old and I can totally understand the update. Looks to me like they just speeded it up going 3 this year instead of the originally planned 1...and, of course, military top brass will be using them too.

The Air Force had asked for one Gulfstream 550 jet (price tag: about $65 million) as part of an ongoing upgrade of its passenger air service. <snipped>

I know the military's passenger transportation fleet is very old and I can totally understand the update. Looks to me like they just speeded it up going 3 this year instead of the originally planned 1...and, of course, military top brass will be using them too.

The Air Force asked for one, and the other two will be stations a few miles from D.C...
The language of the appropriations bill specifies that of the three aircraft, the Air Force will provide &#8220;one aircraft each for the 201st Airlift Squadron and the 89th Airlift Wing.&#8221; Both are based out of Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

The 89th Airlift Wing provides &#8220;global Special Air Mission (SAM) airlift, logistics, aerial port and communications for the President, Vice President, Combat Commanders, senior leaders and the global mobility system,&#8221; according to the Andrews Web site.

King told Roll Call, &#8220;the 201st Airlift Squadron provides short-notice worldwide transportation for the executive branch, Congressional Members, Department of Defense officials and high-ranking U.S. and foreign dignitaries.&#8221;
But I suppose that's just a coincidence. :doubt:

Last edited:

The Air Force had asked for one Gulfstream 550 jet (price tag: about $65 million) as part of an ongoing upgrade of its passenger air service. <snipped>

The Air Force asked for one, and the other two will be stations a few miles from D.C...
The language of the appropriations bill specifies that of the three aircraft, the Air Force will provide “one aircraft each for the 201st Airlift Squadron and the 89th Airlift Wing.” Both are based out of Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

The 89th Airlift Wing provides “global Special Air Mission (SAM) airlift, logistics, aerial port and communications for the President, Vice President, Combat Commanders, senior leaders and the global mobility system,” according to the Andrews Web site.

King told Roll Call, “the 201st Airlift Squadron provides short-notice worldwide transportation for the executive branch, Congressional Members, Department of Defense officials and high-ranking U.S. and foreign dignitaries.”

You're right. That makes no sense at all if they were being used by Military Top Brass, what with the Pentagon being in Kansas and all.

The language of the appropriations bill specifies that of the three aircraft, the Air Force will provide &#8220;one aircraft each for the 201st Airlift Squadron and the 89th Airlift Wing.&#8221; Both are based out of Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

The 89th Airlift Wing provides &#8220;global Special Air Mission (SAM) airlift, logistics, aerial port and communications for the President, Vice President, Combat Commanders, senior leaders and the global mobility system,&#8221; according to the Andrews Web site.

King told Roll Call, &#8220;the 201st Airlift Squadron provides short-notice worldwide transportation for the executive branch, Congressional Members, Department of Defense officials and high-ranking U.S. and foreign dignitaries.&#8221;

You're right. That makes no sense at all if they were being used by Military Top Brass, what with the Pentagon being in Kansas and all.

Uh..the Air Force requested one. According to them that's all they needed for the Military Top Brass. If they need more for the top brass, they would have asked for more.

Next?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back