Hospital denies kidney transplant to illegal immigrant:

If they found out he's an illegal now, they could have found out 14 years ago when they hired him.

True.

But I'm still glad that they are checking for that now. I'm inclined to credit them for doing the right thing now and not dwell on what happened almost a generation ago.

Oh come on, face it, he's worked for them for 14 years, now he his having health problems and then suddently discover he's illegal????? Sure give them credit for it if you like but I think they are just doing whatever they can to save themselves the trouble of someone with kidney problems. They can fire him for being illegal, but they can't fire him for having kidney problems. What do you want to bet if he hadn't developed kidney problems they never would have "discovered" he's an illegal.

He's been on dialysis for 8 years.

I doubt this particular immigration sweep was an attempt to get rid of an expensive employee after all that time.

I figure it was a reaction to greater threats of penalty for employers who hire illegal aliens.

In other words, I take it as a good sign that calls for enforcement are having the desired effect. Businesses policing themselves to avoid fines or worse.

This is a load of horseshit. The headline reads as if the guy was on the operating table with the kidney on ice.
Not the case. He was taken off the list. Perfectly reasonable.

Who the fuck is going to hold him accountable?
I.C.E. can interview him and arrest him if they find he knowingly hired an undocumented worker. But there is a very big problem with fake ID documents, anything from Driver licenses to birth certificates and Social Security cards. And some of these employers actually send illegals to the ID peddlers. The employer knows damn well the ID is phony but as long as he has copies on record he is covered.

This is why I strongly advocate a compulsory binary ID card for all American citizens. One which can be swiped like a credit card to provide instant verification. That would put an end to illegal immigration within a few months.

You bring up some very good points there Mike. Good post.
Thank you.

It's also occurred to me that as punishment for hiring an undocumented worker the owner of that steel foundry should be made to pay the entire cost of the illegal worker's transplant, plus the after-care.

Poetic justice.

This is why I strongly advocate a compulsory binary ID card for all American citizens. One which can be swiped like a credit card to provide instant verification. That would put an end to illegal immigration within a few months.

No it would not, but it would make some people a tidy profit.

Forum List

Back