Homophobes/People against gay rights.

It is amazing that conservatives in the same sentence advocating making it so gays can't get equal rights and then claim that they have gay rights. Its as if conservatives have the memory of a gold fish.

I want all people to have equal rights. The problem here is you want to make exceptions to my rights in order to carve out extra rights based on your misinterpretation of the concept. Blood donations are based on risk assessment to others, not on people being gay or straight. Requiring agencies to take, and use, donations from risk groups would make the people less safe and increase the risk of disease. You can't donate if you ever visited a country that has a high malaria rate either, only idiots complain about it.

Without a marriage license, I wouldn't have had access to my wife during her cancer treatment.

I wouldn't have been treated with respect.

Here is an idea. Maybe we should focus on saving our Bill of Rights first.
And that’s accomplished by allowing gays equal access to marriage laws.

Or eliminating marriage laws completely.

I don't see housing and testimony as rights/privileges denied to gay Americans.
There are still some occurances of the former:

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/resources/article.asp?id=2357&section=4&state=

How about the court ruling that allows people to discriminate in advertising for roommates?

Roommate Discrimination is Legal on Roommate.com: 9th Cir. - Injury & Tort Law - U.S. Ninth Circuit

By the way, is it legal to discriminate against a tenant who has loud parties all night? Is it remotely possible that that proves that having a roof over your head is not actually a right?

1. Not all gay men find all women sexually unappealing.

By definition, yes, all gay men find all women sexually unappealing. If a guy that likes to have sex with other guys, also likes to have sex with women, we call him a "bisexual."

2. I do not have a right to marry someone appealing or unappealing. I have a right only to marry someone of the opposite sex. Exactly the same as gays.

Yes, you DO have a right to marry someone appealing to you, provided she also wants to marry you. Pick any person that you find sexually appealing, and you will find that the law allows you to marry her (with her consent, of course). Even if she is already married, you can still marry her as long as she gets divorced first.

If you were gay, you would NOT have that right. Pick any person that you find sexually appealing, and you would find that the law ABSOLUTELY DENIES you the right to marry him (unless you are in one of the states where same-sex marriage is allowed, of course). Whether he wants to marry you or not, YOU CANT. Whether he is already married or not, whether he is willing to get divorced or not, YOU CAN'T.

So you as a straight person have a right -- to marry someone you find sexually appealing -- that the law denies to a gay person.

I would not be fine with it. I would ask for special rights.

In that case, what are you complaining about, you hypocrite?

Without a marriage license, I wouldn't have had access to my wife during her cancer treatment.

I have walked into hospitals and visited people who are not related to me all the time. There are all sorts of ways to get away with it, but I have never even been challenged. My guess is the hospital never once asked you what your relationship was either, they just let you visit as often as you wanted.

Yes, you DO have a right to marry someone appealing to you, provided she also wants to marry you. Pick any person that you find sexually appealing, and you will find that the law allows you to marry her (with her consent, of course). Even if she is already married, you can still marry her as long as she gets divorced first.

You forgot to add the caveat that it is a right as long as the government approves of it, which does more to prove that it is not a right than any argument I can possibly make.

That's a nice story.

It's the same with gays as well. Without a marriage license they can't visit.

I know. I'm a lesbian.

Nor can a gay partner make medical decisions if one is incapacitated. A medical directive might help, but a marriage license means more.

1. Not all gay men find all women sexually unappealing.

By definition, yes, all gay men find all women sexually unappealing. If a guy that likes to have sex with other guys, also likes to have sex with women, we call him a "bisexual."

You don't know much about gays then.

No I do not. the laws do not state anything about appealing or unappealing. Any person I find, appealing or not, i can marry as long as they are not already married and as long as they are of the opposite sex. Exactly the same as gays.

2. I do not have a right to marry someone appealing or unappealing. I have a right only to marry someone of the opposite sex. Exactly the same as gays.

If you were gay, you would NOT have that right. Pick any person that you find sexually appealing, and you would find that the law ABSOLUTELY DENIES you the right to marry him (unless you are in one of the states where same-sex marriage is allowed, of course). Whether he wants to marry you or not, YOU CANT. Whether he is already married or not, whether he is willing to get divorced or not, YOU CAN'T.

You cannot change the terms of my statement to something you can argue against. I do not have the right to marry someone i find appealing. The laws say NOTHING about the person I want to marry being appealing or unappealing. I do not have the right to marry someone of the same sex as me. EXACTLY the same as gays. If I was gay i wouldn't be able to marry a person the same sex as me. EXACTLY the same as gays.

So you as a straight person have a right -- to marry someone you find sexually appealing -- that the law denies to a gay person.

Nope, I do not have the right to marry someone i find sexually appealing if that person is the same sex as me. EXACTLY the same as for gays.

I would not be fine with it. I would ask for special rights.

In that case, what are you complaining about, you hypocrite?

Show me where I said gay people should not be able to marry. You can't. I'm not a hypocrit, you are just pissed because you are wrong. Again.

I have walked into hospitals and visited people who are not related to me all the time. There are all sorts of ways to get away with it, but I have never even been challenged. My guess is the hospital never once asked you what your relationship was either, they just let you visit as often as you wanted.

There are visiting hours, and unless the patient didn't know who you were, you'd be able to stay. I suppose that he meant being able to help make decisions or sign papers or some such thing.

That's a nice story.

I know. I'm a lesbian.

So you do understand then. The rules are exactly the same for gays as straights. I also wouldn't be allowed access to my wife if i didn't have a marriage license.

That's a nice story.

I know. I'm a lesbian.

Nor can a gay partner make medical decisions if one is incapacitated. A medical directive might help, but a marriage license means more.

Exactly the same as me. I couldn't make decisions for my firends either. If I'm not family or married to the patient, i can't make a decision for them. Exactly the same as for gays.

I know. I'm a lesbian.

Exactly the same as me. I couldn't make decisions for my firends either. If I'm not family or married to the patient, i can't make a decision for them. Exactly the same as for gays.

In many states gay Americans CANNOT marry.

Yes they can. As long as it's a member of the opposite sex. Exactly the same as me.

The point that I am trying to make is that Gays have no fewer rights than i do. What Gays want are special rights that I do not have. It's just wrong to claim that gays don't have rights. They have the same rights as me.

Yes they can. As long as it's a member of the opposite sex. Exactly the same as me.

The point that I am trying to make is that Gays have no fewer rights than i do. What Gays want are special rights that I do not have. It's just wrong to claim that gays don't have rights. They have the same rights as me.

Pred, if gay Americans want to marry another person of the same gender, why do you object?

Pred, if gay Americans want to marry another person of the same gender, why do you object?

Who says I object? I do not. I'm a Libertarian, I am for personal and economical liberty and adherance to the Constitution. As long as someone is not infringing on my rights, they can do as they please and God bless them.

I'm only making the point that gays have no less rights than I do.

That's a nice story.

I know. I'm a lesbian.

It depends. Advanced medical directives are generally treated as contracts between a patient and the health care provider, even if the hospital doesn't sign it. Once the hospital is aware of the directive they generally follow them because not doing so opens them to law suits for assault. That will trump a marriage license any day of the week.

You don't know much about gays then.

LOL well, I know what the word means.

No I do not. the laws do not state anything about appealing or unappealing.

As that is the law's effect, whether it specifically states as much is irrelevant.

Nope, I do not have the right to marry someone i find sexually appealing if that person is the same sex as me. EXACTLY the same as for gays.

You are being deliberately obtuse here.

Show me where I said gay people should not be able to marry.

Good grief. Has anyone told you lately how preposterous you are? :tongue:

Forum List

Back