Homework assignment for proponents of ID

GunnyL said:
What would be so terrible about letting Farmer Brown marry his favorite sheep? Your argument is just about as honest as THAT.

Bestiality is not consensual. There is a HUGE difference. Not to mention that animals aren't citizens. That's an absurd example for comparison.

Powerman said:
Bestiality is not consensual. There is a HUGE difference. Not to mention that animals aren't citizens. That's an absurd example for comparison.

It's not absurd at all. You wish to give special rights to abnormal people. So where does it stop? You say with homo's, but I say it NEVER stops. Farmer Brown or Pete the Ped are next, and you want to give them the toehold in the door.

Powerman said:

Can you tell me which of these vows your dog wont keep?

to remain faithful
to serve and obey
in health and sickness
to love and honor

now, if it was your cat ;)

You guys are missing the whole point! There is no "debate" in the scientific community over the validity of evolutionary theory. Darwinism is universally accepted by scientists because it's the only theory that holds any water. There is a process by which a hypothesis becomes a theory...It's called the "scientific process" and it achieves its goal by categorizing observational data from the real world.

The ID argument that "all questions can't be answered by evolutionary theory" is invalid. Just because we don't currently understand EVERYTHING doesn't invalidate the theory! New scientific discoveries are made everyday! Which is a lot more than I can say for ID.

IDers/Creationists don't even have a cohesive theory that can be proven or disproven! They poo-poo scientific theory because it differs from what was written down 2,000 years ago by Jewish nomads!?

Here's an excellent and eloquently-written op-ed article from the NYT on the subject:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/dennett05/dennett05_index.html

Hagbard Celine said:
You guys are missing the whole point! There is no "debate" in the scientific community over the validity of evolutionary theory. Darwinism is universally accepted by scientists because it's the only theory that holds any water. There is a process by which a hypothesis becomes a theory...It's called the "scientific process" and it achieves its goal by categorizing observational data from the real world.

The ID argument that "all questions can't be answered by evolutionary theory" is invalid. Just because we don't currently understand EVERYTHING doesn't invalidate the theory! New scientific discoveries are made everyday! Which is a lot more than I can say for ID.

IDers/Creationists don't even have a cohesive theory that can be proven or disproven! They poo-poo scientific theory because it differs from what was written down 2,000 years ago by Jewish nomads!?

Here's an excellent and eloquently-written op-ed article from the NYT on the subject:

"Theory without fact is Hypothesis-fact without theory is chaos" To dismiss ID or Creationism is pure "Chaos" :coffee3:

Hagbard Celine said:
You guys are missing the whole point! There is no "debate" in the scientific community over the validity of evolutionary theory. Darwinism is universally accepted by scientists because it's the only theory that holds any water.

...and it's rejected by scientists because it just doesn't make a lot of sense, too. :)

Hagbard Celine said:

Welcome to the board. One thing you will learn real quick is that science is not popular among the members.

Nuc said:
Welcome to the board. One thing you will learn real quick is that science is not popular among the members.

O contrare... when ID'ers attempt to point out the holes in evolutionary theories, all we hear from the evolutionists is the "ID isn't science" screed. The least evolutionists could do is acknowledge that there is evidence that doesn't fit into the evolutionary theory.

gop_jeff said:
O contrare... when ID'ers attempt to point out the holes in evolutionary theories, all we hear from the evolutionists is the "ID isn't science" screed. The least evolutionists could do is acknowledge that there is evidence that doesn't fit into the evolutionary theory.

The way people talk about this subject on this board is akin to a cat chasing its tail.

The nature of science is that you go with the best available theory until a better one comes along to supplant it. At this point evolution is the best available theory. Sorry.

Nuc said:
The way people talk about this subject on this board is akin to a cat chasing its tail.

The nature of science is that you go with the best available theory until a better one comes along to supplant it. At this point evolution is the best available theory. Sorry.

The problem is that there are too many evolutionists who will refuse to acknowledge that there could be a better theory. The minute you bring up any evidence that would put the slightest dent in evolution theory, either the person or the evidence is dismissed as being 'contrary to science' or some other garbage.

gop_jeff said:
The problem is that there are too many evolutionists who will refuse to acknowledge that there could be a better theory. The minute you bring up any evidence that would put the slightest dent in evolution theory, either the person or the evidence is dismissed as being 'contrary to science' or some other garbage.

Sure there COULD be a better theory, or maybe evolution is just part of a bigger theory we'll understand later. Or maybe the supernatural beings who may have created life on earth will show themselves in an objective and undeniable light. Until then I have to go with evolution as being the most advanced thinking on the subject.

Nuc said:
Sure there COULD be a better theory, or maybe evolution is just part of a bigger theory we'll understand later. Or maybe the supernatural beings who may have created life on earth will show themselves in an objective and undeniable light. Until then I have to go with evolution as being the most advanced thinking on the subject.

I sure hope not...cause' if this is true then the poor souls in the Phillipines are eating their cousins monkey brains...are they cannibals or what? :eek:

archangel said:
I sure hope not...cause' if this is true then the poor souls in the Phillipines are eating their cousins monkey brains...are they cannibals or what? :eek:

Thanks for helping me make my point. Simians and humans are related. One good example is HIV virus. It was not spontaneously generated by homosexual sin as many zealots on this board believe. It crossed over from the simian population (SIV) to the human population (HIV).

Alright, then bring up some evidence that would slightly dent evolutionary theory. We'll TEST your HYPOTHESIS, make OBSERVATIONS, and determine whether or not you're onto something here.

Nuc said:
Thanks for helping me make my point. Simians and humans are related. One good example is HIV virus. It was not spontaneously generated by homosexual sin as many zealots on this board believe. It crossed over from the simian population (SIV) to the human population (HIV).

however since you brought up the HIV transfer..it has been investigated and some say the HIV entered through Africa...others say it was contracted during research and the party that contracted it was homosexual it entered the homosexual community this way...other researchers say it is a product of sperm(protein) mutating itself in the digestive system as in anal intercourse..
all Hypothesis mind ya...but I was making a joke about eating monkey brains...even though it is quite a delicacy in the phillipines and S/E Asia...
I will go with the "Sin" theory for now! ;)

Nuc said:

Actually science is popular but it has to be good science not just the only science (however flawed) we have at this point theory, so lets ignore all other possibilities from even being discussed ;)

Bonnie said:
Actually science is popular but it has to be good science not just the only science (however flawed) we have at this point theory, so lets ignore all other possibilities from even being discussed ;)

Sure let's discuss it but let's discuss it intelligently. I know dozens of scientists, including numerous evolutionary biologists. Some are atheists and some believe in God. Even the deists acknowledge that evolution is a fact. Laymen seem to think doing so destroys their faith. I don't understand that.

You know, there's also a theory that it was transferred to humans by eating monkey brains too.

Actually science is popular but it has to be good science not just the only science (however flawed) we have at this point theory, so lets ignore all other possibilities from even being discussed

See, the problem is that even the guys who believe that aliens designed life on earth have a theory that can be tested and either proven or disproven.

IDers don't. They justify their belief with an observation that goes something like this: "Life is so complicated that instead of spending time figuring out how it works and why, I'm just going to attribute it to magic."

Even if there is a God and she created us all and all science is is a superficial puzzle game that God set up as a means of keeping us busy or hiding her existence, there is no way to prove that it is so. So for now, I'm going to take solice in the FACT that ape DNA is 98.5 percent identical to ours.

Nuc said:
Sure let's discuss it but let's discuss it intelligently. I know dozens of scientists, including numerous evolutionary biologists. Some are atheists and some believe in God. Even the deists acknowledge that evolution is a fact. Laymen seem to think doing so destroys their faith. I don't understand that.

it's my understanding that ID is really a melding of both Evolution and Evolution being facilitated by an intelligent being, so from that perspective I have no problem with either. If I was dolt enough to actually believe the world was created in six days you would have the right to give me a nuggy.

Hagbard Celine said:
You know, there's also a theory that it was transferred to humans by eating monkey brains too.

See, the problem is that even the guys who believe that aliens designed life on earth have a theory that can be tested and either proven or disproven.

IDers don't. They justify their belief with an observation that goes something like this: "Life is so complicated that instead of spending time figuring out how it works and why, I'm just going to attribute it to magic."

Even if there is a God and she created us all and all science is is a superficial puzzle game that God set up as a means of keeping us busy or hiding her existence, there is no way to prove that it is so. So for now, I'm going to take solice in the FACT that ape DNA is 98.5 percent identical to ours.

you must be a journalism student...pay attention more in science classes...White mice are within the range of ape DNA also...so ya must be related to mice also! :eek:

Forum List

Back