Homeschooling On The Rise??

I am probably the most experienced person on the thread as far as education is concerned.

Why do you say that?[/QUOTE
I am probably the most experienced person on the thread as far as education is concerned.

Why do you say that?

My post graduate work was in education.
I have taught in primary schools, secondary schools, and I have lectured in universities.

Me too, and I think there are at least a few retired or current teachers on the board, so.......
Then we are the ones speaking from experience.

Why do you say that?[/QUOTE

Why do you say that?

My post graduate work was in education.
I have taught in primary schools, secondary schools, and I have lectured in universities.

Me too, and I think there are at least a few retired or current teachers on the board, so.......
Then we are the ones speaking from experience.

Anyone who has raised children and put them through school also speaks from experience. Don't forget that.

(To clarify for the slow witted: I'm neither implying nor assuming parents get random third-party individuals to teach their children, but if you wouldn't trust your child to their educational skills do you really think such people should be allowed to teach their own children? It is still a disservice to society either way.)

Yes, they should be "allowed." Some turn out some very successful people. For others, it doesn't work out for whatever reason. We still certainly need public schools because most parents have to work full time, and there isn't enough time. Homeschooled children still have to pass all the same testing requirements as do public school kids, I'm pretty sure.

(To clarify for the slow witted: I'm neither implying nor assuming parents get random third-party individuals to teach their children, but if you wouldn't trust your child to their educational skills do you really think such people should be allowed to teach their own children? It is still a disservice to society either way.)

When you say "It" is a disservice to society, you mean that parents cannot be trusted to choose themselves as teachers any more that randomly chosen "third party individuals?"

We're assuming the state chooses teachers better than parents choose themselves, and that there are no standards to be met in homeschool environments.

Both assumptions are unsupported by any evidence.

"Allowed"? "Allowed"? Are you serious?
Why not?

A lot of talk about how great it is, but there are many failures as well. Parents who don't take an active part in their children's "public" education are some of the same parents deciding to home school....they don't care either way.

Yes, they should be "allowed." Some turn out some very successful people. For others, it doesn't work out for whatever reason. We still certainly need public schools because most parents have to work full time, and there isn't enough time. Homeschooled children still have to pass all the same testing requirements as do public school kids, I'm pretty sure.

The subject of "allowing" home schooling is settled: all 50 states have legalized it. The justification is academic, and the fact that is has been widespread and popularized after debate in 50 separate state legislatures makes anyone's argument Against it at this point more than ridiculously dated.

"Allowed"? "Allowed"? Are you serious?
Why not?

A lot of talk about how great it is, but there are many failures as well. Parents who don't take an active part in their children's "public" education are some of the same parents deciding to home school....they don't care either way.

You must have missed the evidence of homeschooling success posted on page one.

Do we need a review?

The subject of "allowing" home schooling is settled: all 50 states have legalized it. The justification is academic, and the fact that is has been widespread and popularized after debate in 50 separate state legislatures makes anyone's argument Against it at this point more than ridiculously dated.

If a parent has the time, energy and knowledge, then I don't have a problem with it at all. :)

We're assuming the state chooses teachers better than parents choose themselves

That's self-evident. Parents "choose" themselves by either saying or allowing, "baby let me hit it raw dog" far too often in this country.

The ability and willingness to procreate is not indicative of fitness to parent, let alone teach.

If a parent has the time, energy and knowledge, then I don't have a problem with it at all. :)

I'm glad we agree.

I'm glad we agree.

Sure, there are definitely some parents who should probably not attempt to home school for whatever reasons.

I do agree with others to an extent though that some public school systems really need to concentrate more on the basics.

Also, some teachers are certainly better than others. I think that the teachers' unions are certainly NOT in the best interest of our kids. I think that could be the biggest reason why some of our public schools are not doing well.

We're assuming the state chooses teachers better than parents choose themselves

That's self-evident. Parents "choose" themselves by either saying or allowing, "baby let me hit it raw dog" far too often in this country.

The ability and willingness to procreate is not indicative of fitness to parent, let alone teach.

No, it is not "self-evident." There are many things parents do for their children that benefit their children better than the state besides simply procreating.

Choosing themselves to teach their own children certainly is not a novel concept within the scope of human history, in "this country," and in fact, the planet earth.

You are on the same planet, right?

Sure, there are definitely some parents who should probably not attempt to home school for whatever reasons.

I do agree with others to an extent though that some public school systems really need to concentrate more on the basics.

Also, some teachers are certainly better than others. I think that the teachers' unions are certainly NOT in the best interest of our kids. I think that could be the biggest reason why some of our public schools are not doing well.

Agreed: An argument for or against home-schooling based on the quality of the parent/teacher is a little ridiculous. Standards are placed for learning, if the parent teacher fails to teach, their child fails to learn, and this is reflected in standardized testing. Evidence from the OP suggests this is a very rare condition, but we can imagine it happens, however, it also happens in public school settings. There is no evidence to support the notion it happens more in home schooling environments.

The problem with home schooling is that the student is limited to the abilities of the parent(s) providing the instruction.

Not a bad deal at all if the parents are fairly intelligent, but consider... would you just pull any adult off the street and ask them to teach your child, even if there was a fairy tale world where there was zero chance they would abuse that child?

I sure as hell wouldn't, people are idiots.

That simply is not the case. There are many fine online curricula that parents can utilize to their children's benefit. While my wife and I are both college educated, we used such a curriculum that allowed our kids to upload their assignments to be corrected by teachers on the other end. Therefore, even poorly educated parents have no problem helping their children exceed the performance of their counterparts in government schools.

We tested ours on the national tests, just to be sure they were staying on track.

Why not? .

How about it's none of your fucking business?

Lots of people are bad cooks. Does that mean that some presumptuous douche like you can tell them they aren't "allowed" to cook for their own families? Lots of people might be 'bad' parents according to some presumptuous douche like you. Does that mean they shouldn't be "allowed" to have children at all? Who the fuck are you again?

Parents who don't take an active part in their children's "public" education are some of the same parents deciding to home school....they don't care either way.

Why don't you try thinking that one through again...

... :rolleyes:

Someone is failing to make their post relevant.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just try harder from now on.

I meant you, short-bus.

You need to find a simpler thread to follow.

You failed to recognize that you were describing yourself, square wheels.

Rapier wit: "I know you are but what am I."

:lol:

Its clear why you washed out of military service but continue to wannabe.

Pitiful, but still amusing.

Forum List

Back