Homeschooling On The Rise??

Sciarra, whose organization serves as a legal watchdog for the Abbott districts, said the gap in state math test scores between fourth graders in Abbott districts and non-Abbott districts narrowed from 31 points in 1999 to 19 points in 2007, and on state reading tests from 22 points in 2001 to 15 points in 2007. Success in eighth grade was more modest, narrowing from 30 points in 2000 for math in 2000 to 26 points in 2007, and staying at 20 points for reading during the same years. The achievement gap has not narrowed in high schools, but New Jersey has the highest high school graduation rates in the nation for African American males, Sciarra said.

I won't get into the biology of what is happening but I can explain it by appealing to parenting. Any parent can tell you that they have more control over the minutia of their 3 year old child's life than they do over the minutia of their 16 year old child's life. The same dynamic works in schools. With young kids, we adults can SWAMP their environment but as kids get older they begin to exert THEMSELVES and resist having their environments controlled by adults. A kindergarten teacher can tell her kids to take a nap and the kids will comply, but a 12th grade teacher has nothing close to that level of control over students.

As we all get older we come into ourselves, we're no longer the little puppets we were when we were kids. So those gains we see in the 4th grade DON'T STICK. They diminish by the 8th grade and they're totally absent by the 12th grade. The student is no better prepared for college than their counterpart in a school that didn't have the intervention program.

This is first year genetics material but education professionals are totally damn clueless about biology and genetics.

I just thought of an example which can illustrate this process - drinking behavior. Watch as heritability increases with age, just like with intelligence. Notice the different outcomes with adopted kids:

Parent–Offspring Similarity for Drinking: A Longitudinal Adoption Study

Parent–offspring resemblance for drinking was investigated in a sample of 409 adopted and 208 non-adopted families participating in the Sibling Interaction and Behavior Study. Drinking data was available for 1,229 offspring, assessed longitudinally up to three times in the age range from 10 to 28 years. A single drinking index was computed from four items measuring quantity, frequency and density of drinking. As expected, the mean drinking index increased with age, was greater in males as compared to females (although not at the younger ages), but did not vary significantly by adoption status. Parent–offspring correlation in drinking did not vary significantly by either offspring or parent gender but did differ significantly by adoption status. In adopted families, the parent–offspring correlation was statistically significant at all ages but decreased for the oldest age group (age 22–28). In non-adopted families, the parent–offspring correlation was statistically significant at all ages and increased in the oldest age group. Findings imply that genetic influences on drinking behavior increase with age while shared family environment influences decline, especially during the transition from late-adolescence to early adulthood.
This is what education professionals seem to be ignorant of, perhaps because they invest so heavily in the notion that what they do has so much influence on children.. These parents exhibited drinking behaviors and raised their kids to standards different from their own behavior, but as the adopted children grew into adulthood they actually became less like their parents while the natural children grew more like their parents. The same process at work in schools, as we get older it becomes very difficult for schools to shape us, for our own inclinations have more powerful influence on our choices and outcomes.

This explains why early successes get washed away as the kids mature. We always need to look at programs in the latter years of high school, not at programs taking place in elementary school.

Interesting, but it doesn't really matter. Public school is what it is. Of course it isn't going to be perfect for everyone's specific needs and cannot be tailored to fit every single individual. However, it is still very necessary and is the best system we have for the time being.

You must also keep in mind that not all parents are good parents, or maybe they are fine parents but just uneducated people,and then there are time constraints. Therefore, homeschooling is not always going to be an option for many people.

You must also keep in mind that not all parents are good parents, or maybe they are fine parents but just uneducated people,and then there are time constraints. Therefore, homeschooling is not always going to be an option for many people.

No homeschooling IS an option for Everyone, and it should be. Just because it is not the Best Option for Everyone, doesn't make it bad. Regardless this is the major argument that opponents have given against homeschooling.

No homeschooling IS an option for Everyone, and it should be. Just because it is not the Best Option for Everyone, doesn't make it bad. Regardless this is the major argument that opponents have given against homeschooling.

It is not a viable option for everyone. That is ridiculous.

"Viable?"

Did I say "Viable?"

No. But it is An Option, and should remain a LEGAL option for Everyone

"Viable?"

Did I say "Viable?"

No. But it is An Option, and should remain a LEGAL option for Everyone

I agree. Everyone should have the choice. :)

The problem with home schooling is that the student is limited to the abilities of the parent(s) providing the instruction.

Not a bad deal at all if the parents are fairly intelligent, but consider... would you just pull any adult off the street and ask them to teach your child, even if there was a fairy tale world where there was zero chance they would abuse that child?

I sure as hell wouldn't, people are idiots.

That simply is not the case. There are many fine online curricula that parents can utilize to their children's benefit. While my wife and I are both college educated, we used such a curriculum that allowed our kids to upload their assignments to be corrected by teachers on the other end. Therefore, even poorly educated parents have no problem helping their children exceed the performance of their counterparts in government schools.

That's interesting, but I think it's important that the homeschoolers/parents have a good understanding of the subject matter being taught, and there is also the issue with time. Many parents lack the time when they both work full time, although I imagine a "school day" isn't nearly as long as a public school day.

Nor does it need to be.

How much time, effort, and resources are wasted transporting students to and from school, feeding them lunch, and allowing them time to change classes?

That's what I meant. Not to mention, you aren't going to have as many students who have questions and need help.

I'm guessing something like 2-3 hours every school day is spent doing something other than instructional activities, and I'm not even counting classes where they're showing some movie that has some remote connection to the curriculum.

Homeschoolers also do not need to awake before dawn to have breakfast and catch a bus: sleep schedules which are naturally longer for adolescents are not disrupted.

That is correct. A home schooled child's actual time in class usually ranges from 2-4 hours. There really is a lot of non-class time in the typical school day.

The problem with home schooling is that the student is limited to the abilities of the parent(s) providing the instruction.

Not a bad deal at all if the parents are fairly intelligent, but consider... would you just pull any adult off the street and ask them to teach your child, even if there was a fairy tale world where there was zero chance they would abuse that child?

That simply is not the case. There are many fine online curricula that parents can utilize to their children's benefit. While my wife and I are both college educated, we used such a curriculum that allowed our kids to upload their assignments to be corrected by teachers on the other end. Therefore, even poorly educated parents have no problem helping their children exceed the performance of their counterparts in government schools.

That's interesting, but I think it's important that the homeschoolers/parents have a good understanding of the subject matter being taught, and there is also the issue with time. Many parents lack the time when they both work full time, although I imagine a "school day" isn't nearly as long as a public school day.

I agree that the home schooling parents should have a good understanding of the subject matter, and in fact our district requires that one or both have a college degree, unless you specifically state you are home schooling for religious purposes. In our case, we used an online curriculum that had certified teachers who graded our kids' work and provided feedback.

Why not? .

How about it's none of your fucking business?

Lots of people are bad cooks. Does that mean that some presumptuous douche like you can tell them they aren't "allowed" to cook for their own families? Lots of people might be 'bad' parents according to some presumptuous douche like you. Does that mean they shouldn't be "allowed" to have children at all? Who the fuck are you again?
It's a discussion.

You sound like the shit for brains people I'm talking about on the other side if the debate

I think some kids would definitely benefit and learn more efficiently in a home environment, but that certainly isn't the case for all kids. Plenty of them do just fine in the public school environment. Of course, the quality of your public school system depends on where you live and how much funding your schools are receiving.

Now, here is where the conservatives get a little cranky. Lol. I would like to see all the funds allocated towards schools pooled together and distributed equally amongst the schools so that all the children are getting equal quality of education from their public school systems.
Throwing more money at a system that is failing to do a basic job of educating and way to much indoctrinating is not the solution. And the one-size-fits-all concept, like No Child Left Behind, is not a solution, either. One thing that needs to be done is to reestablish the goals of basic education, then the current curricula should be vetted to ensure that each class offered clearly supports the stated educational goals. Many subjects addressed in public school systems should not be, but should be left for the parents to address. We need to rip all the PC bullshit out of the public schools and concentrate on teaching children to read, write properly, to become competent in basic mathematics and scientific concepts. After those basics have been established, then offer more variety to older children in the form of electives. We need to stop using public schools as laboratories for social engineering experiments.

-Throwing money at the problem doesn't fix the problem. You're correct.

-NCLB was a solution intended to fix the problem of the Achievement Gap. It would never work because it presumed that the Achievement Gap was caused by teaching methods and not by genetics.

-The goals of American education are to close the Achievement Gap. That's mission #1. Before liberals adopted this mission the old goal was "To raise each child to the highest level that their ability will permit." If we readopted the old mission then this wold explode the achievement gap wider than it is today.

That's fine, I don't have a problem with that. I still stand by my belief that money should be distributed equally among the schools. Otherwise, we are just perpetuating more of the same results, and it's really the inner city poor schools that bring down the averages. They get the least funding and are the worst learning environments with lack of basic needs and good teachers because they cannot afford to bring on good teachers. You are going to get what you put into it.

Alright, where will this money come from? And would evenly distribute said funds to schools on a local level, or would you redistribute money collected for "education" nationally? Would you limit equal distribution to only certain, approved schools, or would you consider including charter schools and trade schools?

I many instances where people homeschool, they form coalitions with other homeschooling parents and those who have talent or skill in one field, say, math, will teach several children in exchange for another parent with different skills teaching the children in that subject area. In addition, a reputable provider for the homeschooler will have a well appointed support system for both students and parents. Homeschooling does not necessarily mean that the parent is without resources, although some may be ignorant enough to forgo available resources and strike out on their own.

(To clarify for the slow witted: I'm neither implying nor assuming parents get random third-party individuals to teach their children, but if you wouldn't trust your child to their educational skills do you really think such people should be allowed to teach their own children? It is still a disservice to society either way.)

"Allowed"? "Allowed"? Are you serious?

As a fucking heart attack. Do you not interact with society at all? There are some grade A dumbasses that I wouldn't trust to train a dog not to shit on the floor.
Unfortunately, many so-called professional teachers fit nicely into you description.

(To clarify for the slow witted: I'm neither implying nor assuming parents get random third-party individuals to teach their children, but if you wouldn't trust your child to their educational skills do you really think such people should be allowed to teach their own children? It is still a disservice to society either way.)

As a fucking heart attack. Do you not interact with society at all? There are some grade A dumbasses that I wouldn't trust to train a dog not to shit on the floor.
Unfortunately, many so-called professional teachers fit nicely into you description.

Yes, but it's a lot easier to take a teacher out of a classroom than it is to rescue a child from idiot parents. Especially if those idiot parents are how schooling their child(ren), minimizing their exposure to society.

Someone is failing to make their post relevant.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just try harder from now on.

I meant you, short-bus.

You need to find a simpler thread to follow.

You failed to recognize that you were describing yourself, square wheels.

Rapier wit: "I know you are but what am I."

:lol:

Its clear why you washed out of military service but continue to wannabe.

Pitiful, but still amusing.

That's called "The PeeWee Defense".

Yes, but it's a lot easier to take a teacher out of a classroom than it is to rescue a child from idiot parents. Especially if those idiot parents are how schooling their child(ren), minimizing their exposure to society.

According to the stats, though, that isn't happening in any statistically meaningful amount. No more so than bad teachers apparently.

According to the stats, though, that isn't happening in any statistically meaningful amount. No more so than bad teachers apparently.

Kinda hard to have stats on stupidity, brain child.

??????????????????

What the hell are you talking about, dimwit?
I agree. There is no way you would have ever manned up and put on a uniform.

I can't claim that I ever did. All the more reason I respect those better men and women who have.
Sorry. You can't claim to support the troops who fight to protect the 2nd Amendment that you despise. When you stop hating on the Constitution and make 50 posts supporting the right to bear arms I will be glad to revisit this post. Not only that I will do something your troll ass would never have the balls to do. I will post my name, address and phone number on the forum for all to see.

Last edited:

??????????????????

What the hell are you talking about, dimwit?
I agree. There is no way you would have ever manned up and put on a uniform.

I can't claim that I ever did. All the more reason I respect those better men and women who have.
Sorry. You can't claim to support the troops who fight to protect the 2nd Amendment that you despise.

I have never posted anything remotely suggesting that am anything but supportive of our 2nd Amendment rights, you dickless, lying sack of watery shit.

Forum List

Back