Homemade Hot Giardiniera

DrDoomNGloom

Gold Member
Mar 14, 2014
Your Imigination
I started with this recipe and went forth ............

Ingredients

1/4 cup table salt
1 cup small-diced carrots
1 cup tiny cauliflower florets
4 to 8 serrano peppers, sliced (depending on heat level desired)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, diced small
1 red bell pepper, diced small
2 cups canola oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Combine 2 cups water and the salt in a glass or non-reactive bowl. Mix until the salt is dissolved. Add the carrots, cauliflower, serranos, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the salt water and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Day 2, drain and rinse the vegetables. In a clean bowl, mix together the oil with the oregano and pepper. Add the vegetables and mix to combine. Allow to marinate overnight. Giardiniera will only get better with time. After 2 days at the most in the bowl, you can place in air-tight mason jars and keep in the fridge for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro

Read more at: Homemade Hot Giardiniera Recipe Jeff Mauro Food Network

I started with a half pound of Serrano peppers, sliced into rings. You might want to use gloves for this step as the juice will linger for days an hot showers will make your fingers burn even after using soap.

I used about a cup of baby carrots with both ends cut off and slice thin, usually quartered as you want small 1/8" dice for relish.

I used about three stalks of celery, 2 - 1/4" thick slices of onion and 3 cloves of garlic all minced fine.

I placed all these in a non reactive(plastic with a lid) was my choice and covered with water, use between a quarter and half cup of salt to produce a brine.

Let this mixture set in the fridge over night.

Next day take a strainer and wash the excess salt out.

WP_20150812_20_35_05_Pro[1].jpg

Take a bowl and place 1 cup of apple cider vinegar(the directions call for white), whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon. of crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon cilantro and 2-3 tablespoons of Olive oil.

Add in a couple of tablespoons of capers and stir in brine mix. This mixture needs to go back into the refrigerator for at least a couple of days to best meld the flavors.

One last touch, I opened and drained a small jar of sliced pimento stuffed olives(5.75 oz) and stirred them in.

Make sure to make extra as every time you stir the blend in the refrigerator it seems to get smaller.
WP_20150812_21_20_21_Pro[1].jpg

Forum List

Back